Episode 243

RSS

This weekend Desmond attended Vancouver's first major comic convention: the Vancouver Fan Expo! Bright eyed and bushy-tailed this morning, he provides you with audio from three interviews. First up, he talks to comics legend Len Wein about his astounding career, stand-up comedy, and his upcoming series Before Watchmen: Ozymandias. Then, comic artist and filmmaker Kaare Andrews talks about graphic design, tight shooting locations, and The ABCs of Death. Finally, Jim and Kyle from nerd rock band Kirby Krackle talk about their songwriting process, gender-bending cosplay, and wrestling in mud and jello. The convention playlist is as follows: "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, "Desolation Row" by My Chemical Romance, "Waydown" by Catherine Wheel, "Up, Up, Down, Down" and "Hunt 'Em All Down" by Kirby Krackle. [ 1:16:33 || 35.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_243.mp3

Nice little interview episode. From the audio and the picture, you can tell how excited you were to talk to Len Wein. I didn't know Kaare Andrews had previously directed a movie, added Altitude to my Netflix que. I'm not big into nerd rock, but Kirby Krackle are good people,

Thanks Chris.

I was quite worried about Len Wein as for some reason I had the image of a pit bull in my head. He couldn't have been nicer. Great guy. And he can rock the fucking cowboy hat and scarf better than a man half his age!

I feel bad I didn't get the interview with the two ladies from Death Do Us Part. The lovely Julia Benson starred in one of my favorite Masters of Horror episodes and Emilie Ullerup is likely the only "movie star beautiful" person I've met in person. Better looking than any picture you'll find of her. Wow. Alas, dinner ran a little long and I opted for Len Wein over anyone else and they were gone. Another time perhaps.

Good show. It was successful. Fucking packed actually. I'll be going back next year.

I was quite worried about Len Wein as for some reason I had the image of a pit bull in my head. He couldn't have been nicer. Great guy. And he can rock the fucking cowboy hat and scarf better than a man half his age!

What, even better than Kid Rock?!?! :shocked:

One question I've always meant to ask you, Des, is how does the convention schedule work that you get to have about 5-10 mins with a notable guest? I'm guessing you have to catch them between signing sessions or else you'd have an irate queue behind you!

Oh, and top episode too!

One question I've always meant to ask you, Des, is how does the convention schedule work that you get to have about 5-10 mins with a notable guest? I'm guessing you have to catch them between signing sessions or else you'd have an irate queue behind you!

Good question. All I do, is walk up to them, introduce myself, give them a business card and tell them about the show. I then say, "I'd love to sit down and chat with you for a few minutes about..." to let them know that I actually know who they are and what they've done. I ask what time works best for them and show up at that time. With Wein, I mentioned interviewing Wolfman because I thought that might curry me some favour. But I probably didn't need to.

At the beginning of the interview, I tell them that if they want to chat with a fan, sign an autograph for a minute, that's fine. I'll edit it out. Indeed I did. There were about three minutes of Wein I cut out and a minute or so of Kaare Andrews.

That's about it.