Episode 603

RSS

Long have TV fans dreaded seeing their favorite shows end up in the Friday Night Death Slot. This month, Will examines some of its victims. its history, and why it might all be a little overblown. Tune in, or Super Bunny Corps 3000 might not last the season! [ 40:51 || 19.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_603.mp3

I have yet to listen to 603 but I sort of disagree with you.

There are certain shows that when they moved, did extremely well on Friday nights.

Smallville was on.

I understand that these types of shows are too few and far between.

It's funny. If you had listened first then you would have heard me make every other point in your post already, thus removing the need to automatically say you disagree without knowing that you were disagreeing with something you already agreed with.

I have yet to listen to 603 but I sort of disagree with you.

There are certain shows that when they moved, did extremely well on Friday nights.

Smallville was on.

I understand that these types of shows are too few and far between.

It's funny. If you had listened first then you would have heard me make every other point in your post already, thus removing the need to automatically say you disagree without knowing that you were disagreeing with something you already agreed with.

oh-no-ive-gone-cross-eyed.png

The Friday Night Death Slot was certainly a thing, but not for as long or as prevalent as people make it out to be.

Star Trek's third season failed more due to the 10pm time slot than the Friday night aspect; most of its fans were already in bed.

When I was a kid, there were some very popular shows on Friday nights, aimed at very young audiences in the earlier hours and rather older audiences 9pm and after. However, after advertisers decided they didn't give a damn about anyone who wasn't between the ages of 18-35 (i.e., precisely the people who WERE, in fact, out of the house on Friday night), then yes, Friday generally became a wasteland.

Of course, now with DVRs and online streaming and what have you, time slot doesn't matter at all.

Of course, now with DVRs and online streaming and what have you, time slot doesn't matter at all.

I would disagree. It is true that DVRs and streaming have made it it easier for people to watch shows regardless of the original air dates. If the idea was a simple as getting content to consumers, this would be awesome. However, these are still networks working off an outdated ratings system. Show X could have millions of people watching each episode. But if say 75% of these people are using a DVR, then the show is going to get canceled. Ratings are still used to set advertising rates. And even if you find a way to incorporate DVR viewers into a rating system, that does nothing to help ad sales. '2.5 are watching this show on DVR and fast forwarding the ad space we are trying to get you to buy.' Doesn't really work that well.

I mean, we did have VHS recorders before that but how many people actually figured out how to set the thing up to record?

Was I the only one who figured this out? Hell, I had two VCRs hooked up to a single TV so I could record two shows at once.