Episode 609

RSS

Will Ackerman, Hannah Krueger, and special guest Matt Willis sit down to discuss the big screen adaptation of Les Miserables in this month's Hey, Gurlfriend. Along the way they discuss why sewers are disgusting, entire scenes of close-ups, and some of the worst facial expressions ever set to film. Les Miserables? More like Les Miserab-yea! [ 1:08:49 || 33.4 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_609.mp3

Well, maybe not. I want to hate this film, but I objectively can't.

As one of uninitiated, I thought this film was the best possible adaptation of a really insipid musical and quite possibly the most disjointed film I have ever seen. It's nearly three hours long, yet feels rushed and incomplete; there's no breathing space between any of the songs; the romance is painfully shallow, the lyrics uninspired, and because there are so damn many of them with no break between them, I can only remember the tune of two them. All that said, I think most of the acting and singing isn't half bad, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were awesome, and visually it looked quite nice, but overall, I did not enjoy this movie.

Your review, though, was pretty good and

well done, Matt!

I liked the film quite a bit but for someone who like me has a history with the theatrical production (not a stereotypical gay at all, honest) it's a bit like catching a truncated edited for tv version of a film you love - all the basics are there but a lot of the little details are missing. Understandable as there just wasn't time to adapt the whole production for a big screen outing. Casting was great and though his voice was a weak link Russell Croew still brought his usual intensity to Javert.