Episode 641

RSS

Strange things can happen to TV characters. Sometimes they disappear up the stairs, other times they leave with little believable explanation, some die in unexpected and cruel ways, and other times we're told they're the same but they're not. Will Ackerman takes a look back at some of the less-than-ceremonious exits from television. All this and one of the most terrible lines in television. [ 45:30 || 22.1 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_641.mp3

What about the fact that Bo and Luke Duke were replaced by Coy and Vance.

How come they wrote out Pete Ross on Smallville?

Then there is The Daughter of of the Cosby's who got written out of two shows. She got written out of the Cosby Show, then she got written out of the spinoff as well. Lisa Bonet was the actress.

The main reason I didn't mention some is because it would get boring if I just went through examples. Besides, when they wrote off a character in a matter that was either believable or didn't suck, it wasn't worth mentioning. As for the replacement Duke boys, they didn't last very long before they brought the old ones back and they weren't memorable to begin with. Therefore, didn't see them as worth mentioning.

Pete Ross was written out because, in real life, Sam Jones III got mixed up in drug trafficking.

That was before the drug trafficking, he chose to leave.

Both are semi-correct. Sam Jones was into drugs before he left Smallville (and rumor has it that was what led to him having a diminished role and then leaving), but the trafficking charges came later.

The Child Seve on married with children. He just went up the stairs in the house and was never seen again.

The main reason I didn't mention some is because it would get boring if I just went through examples.

Also, the kid they made a joke about it later on with his face showing up on a milkcarton.

BTW, here is one example of an actor leaving the show, and down the road get killed off, which funny enough fucked with the continutiy of a show that was intended as a spinoff!

Wayne Rogers, Trapper John, leaves M*A*S*H* after three seasons in a bitter contract dispute, now unlike McLane Stephenson's character, Trapper is just written off and not killed.

Now, in 1979 a show called Trapper John, MD debuts, not starring the same actor of course, but it is based upon the same character. TECHNICALLY its a spinoff from the movie which is different from the show, which means what follows is not all that big of a deal, but still a rather dickish thing to do.

Anyway, in a quick Google search it seems more like a hearsay urban legend, but around the time Trapper John, MD had started a script of M*A*S*H* was on the table where it was learned off screen that Trapper John had been killed. And while legally TJMD was a spinoff of the movie, CBS's PR machine was trying to tie the two shows together (TJMD taking place much later), which would not go over well if Trapper was dead in the M*A*S*H* universe, yet still alive in TJMD! So the script was changed.

FWIW, I'd think The Doctor gets a pass from the Darren/Becky thing since they go out of their way to make sure the audience knows that the incarnations are different from each other.

Darren/Becky is when a different actor/actress is playing the same EXACT ROLE, even if the new one plays it differently, the character is the same. The incarnations of the Doctor may be the same Time Lord, but its clear that they are not the same personae.

It's like explaining the Holy Trinity, three entities in one sort of thing I guess! =;)