All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Last week
  2. I'm going to try my hardest to make it next year.
  3. This episode sees Desmond and Tom putting those floatie things on their arms and taking a Night Swim. Then, what begins as a review of HBO's Stephen King miniseries adaptation The Outsider turns into a rambling stream of thought discussion of Dream Scenario and this season so far in Star Trek: Discovery. Songs included: "Sacrifice" by Cirith Ungol, "Swim" by In Flames, "Outsider" by Night Demon, and "The Bird People of Nordland" by Darkthrone. [ download ]
  4. S-T

Got me a Switch!

👍👍 I just got one last week. My first two games (hopefully!) arrive today. I was thinking about telling my sons that they have to beat Ghosts & Goblins on the NES before they can play anything else but that would be abusive. :-) I think I'll skip the Switch game though.
  5. Missy

Got me a Switch!

The Switch has been my go-to system for the last six months. It's worth every penny.
  6. Season three of Channel 37's Midnight Movie Show is almost upon you! Come smell the excitement! [ download ]
  7. S-T

Got me a Switch!

Nintendo Online is a tremendous deal. $50 a year for a huge library of games from the 8 bit to the 64 bit era. Or you can go with the lower level for just NES and Super NES.
  8. I'll see if I can grab that for a a lower price than cover. Ideally, much lower. Haha! I actually think I have most of that run still somewhere in my longboxes. Or maybe I sold it. I can't remember.
  9. In case you don't know, they published an Epic Collection called Ghost Rider: Danny Ketch back in October. That's what I was reading from. Stunning work all around.
  10. May as well start my May post: Hairball #1: this was fun. I didn't expect this angle. The Sandman Universe: Nightmare Country: The Glass House #1: THIS is the follow-up to that first series. That makes more sense as it picks right up where that one left off. The Corinthian is back and there's a new victim of the monster. Right away, this feels like Vertigo and has absolutely pulled me in. Koshchei In Hell #4: beautiful ending. Where Monsters Lie #3: about fifteen minutes has passed in these first three issues. It's crazy. Breath of Shadows #3: ok, they better shit or get off the pot next issue. Bloodline: Daughter of Blade #3: this plot moves at a snail's pace. Captain America: Cold War Alpha: oh...that Cap series wasn't ending, just crossing over with the SamCap one. I gave that up, so we'll see how much sense half this crossover makes. Carnage #12: ok, this keeps creeping on. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dogs of War #1: ok, I'm down for more solid DS9 era comics. This was fun. Fantastic Four #6: did not enjoy the art here, and quite frankly, they've wasted a lot of time in these first six issues. I think I'll probably drop it. Guardians of the Galaxy #1: not the best first issue. It gets one more. Moon Knight #22: packed a lot of story into 20-odd pages. Great single issue story. Predator #2: still great Silver Surfer: Ghost Light #3: i just love the art. I don't really care about the story here. Children of the Black Sun #4: good issue Eight billion Genies #8: I was prepared to be let down, so this wasn't too bad. Monarch #3: talk about snail's pace. I'm out. Traveling to Mars #5: still great Nemesis Reloaded #4: this was the best issue of the bunch Maniac of New York: Don't Call it a Comeback #2: still excellent Red Zone #2: a hell of a lot of fun. Phantom Road #2: i thought issue one was intriguing, but this issue fucking ruled. Good shit. The Seasons Have Teeth #1: ok...the embodiment of seasons are kaiju. I'm down. Radiant Black #23: cool. The Ambassadors #2: this was a great issue. The Giant Kokju #1: a raunchy comedy kaiju comic. I might give it one more. I found it kind of meh. Star Trek: Defiant #2: man...I could read Worf and Spock arguing forever. example Spock says "is it not logical that if this Kahless is a perfect clone of the real Kahless, then perhaps the original Kahless is also not as noble as once thought." Worf replies: "Before we pull at the threads of my entire civilization, perhaps we should..." Brilliant stuff. So fun. Star Trek #6: without Worf, this series continues to rule. Man, good fucking Trek comics. Exorcists Never Die #1: I think I'll pass on this one. Batman/Superman World's Finest #14: this was excellent. Lots of fun moments here. Black Adam #10: ok, setting up the two issue finale. Good stuff. Superman #2, 3: oh damn, this series is actually pretty great. I'm enjoying the art, but it's more of a Marvel vibe. So is the comic, in a way. It feels like Iron Man at times now that Superman is the head of Supercorp. Intrigued. I basically love whatever Josh Williamson writes at DC. More please. Captain America: Unforgiven #1: great ending to this weird little series. Basically a Youngblood style team of vampires in the MCU. Hellcat #2: excellent. New Mutants: Lethal Legion #2: that does it! I'm in! Count Nefaria, art that looks like sloppy Erik Larsen, and heroes going undercover as villains. Right up my alley. The one thing from the Krakoa era I enjoy. Red Goblin #3: this was really good. Warlock Rebirth #1: hmmm...Rons Marz and Lim tell this Infinity Watch story. Honestly, not very good. I'll give it one more. Rogue Sun #12: great issue. The Cult of that Wilkin Boy #1: apparently Bingo Wilkin is an Archie character. This is his dumb horror oneshot. Pass. Black Tape #3: great issue. Harrower #3: well, fuck...there goes one of my WIPs. Haha! It's prose, but it's ridiculously similar to this. All Eight Eyes #1: I really enjoyed this. Dead Seas #5: great X-O Manowar Unconquered #2: this is meh...with Liam Sharp's art, it looks like it has the same art (and story) of those Radical Press comics from about 15 years ago. Green Arrow #1: ok, I'm intrigued. Unstoppable Doom Patrol #2: this is really good. Cool take. Clobberin' Time #2: this is still awesome. More Steve Skroce miniseries, Marvel! Daredevil #10: this series is so fucking good. Doctor Strange #2: was concerned about it being a Nightmare story, but it barely is at all. Still loving it. Hulk #14: this could have been an amazing series at 8 issues. Maybe even 10. But 14 was too much. Looking forward ot the next volume. This one was a bit of a dud. Invincible Iron Man #5: great. Issues: 708 Trades: 12 Omnibus: 2 Graphic Novel: 10
  11. Since I've been enjoying so much modern GR, I've recently thought about rereading this too. All that stuff with Blackout and Deathwish and then Madcap and Suicide and Texiera art...man, and that's all before the Midnight Sons stuff.
  12. Catwoman: Selina's Big Score: Excellent crime drama, but speeds to the end. Catwoman #1-37 (2002) and Catwoman Secret Files and Origins: Starts out exceptionally strong, but Brubaker either takes a massive step back, loses interest, or editorial gets involved, because there are some massive dips in the back portion. That said, the art is mostly top-tier, and there's a nine-issue stretch where Selina FUCKS UP hard and it costs a lot. She then tries to rebuild but it's not easy. Dragonball: Volume 1 - The Monkey King Dragonball: Volume 2 - Wish Upon a Dragon Dragonball: Volume 3 - The Training of Kame-Sen'nin Dragonball: Volume 4 - Strongest Under the Heavens Dragonball: Volume 5 - The Red Ribbon Army Dragonball: Volume 6 - Bulma Returns Dragonball: Volume 7 - General Blue and the Pirate Treasure Dragonball: Volume 8 - Taopaipai & Master Karin Dragonball: Volume 9 - Test of The All-Seeing Crone Some of the very best comics I have ever read. April Issues: 147 Total: 333
  13. World of Krypton #1-3 (1979) The World of Krypton #1-4 (1987) World of Krypton #1-6 (2022) Three vastly different takes on Krypton's final years, each one equally valid and with its own merits. The 1987 miniseries gets mired in some Byrne bullshit, but it's, at least, a fresh take on the planet. Superman: World of New Krypton #1-12: Great art by Pete Woods, but the writing was missing something. Never really felt connected to anyone, not ever Superman. The World of Smallville #1-4 The World of Metropolis #1-4 Part of the Byrne "World of" trilogy after the Crisis reboot. Smallville is the most interesting because of Martha's backstory, but it loses a ton of steam with the lame Manhunter crap that was shoehorned in. The Kents #1-3: Really wanted to get into this, but I just can't. Ghost Rider #1-12 (1990): Genuinely shocked by how good this is. In time, I will be coming back. Marvel Comics Presents #64-71: Skipable. Batman #142-144 (2016): Joker: Year One is way too mired in whatever the hell is going on in the Batman books. Did not care one bit. March Issues: 59 Total: 186
  14. Earlier
  15. Has anyone watched this? I'm almost finished, but I have read the novel and I'm extremely confused by the physics of the entity.
  16. The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre: review forthcoming Dream Scenario: an absolutely beautiful movie that at one time has a lot to say and then maybe nothing to say? I'm still sitting with this one, clearing the path to my thoughts on the film. Which should say that it's not a typical movie night watch. Cage is brilliant. So is Julianne Nicholson (who I'm also watching in The Outsider right now). Stir of Echoes: was preparing a Top 5 for this week's podcast when I randomly thought of this one. Discovered it on Plex, so I watched it last night. It holds together really well. it's gnarly, but not as gnarly as I remember it. Maybe I've seen more intense stuff since (I have) or maybe this print was cut down a bit. Also very possible. Kevin Bacon is awesome in this and so is the kid who plays his son. Great little mystery with some fucked up stuff in it. A hard ghost story. Features: 44 Shorts: Documentaries: 4 Rewatches: 1
  17. Kill Boksoon: A Korean action flick about a single-mom career assassin who's wanting to get out of the life. This was actually kind of a rollercoaster throughout. I wasn't sure how I was liking it, but the main character and her genuine attempts to connect with her closeted teen daughter endeared me, and kept me rooting for her as the Korean underworld slowly began turning against her. Ultimately I enjoyed this.
  18. After this year washed out, gonna definitely be making my way to C2E2 next year. The dates are April 11th-13th. Kinda excited also because I'll be getting to say goodbye to my 30s at one of my favorite cities.
  19. I've been a defender of Discovery the whole run. I thought the first two seasons were some of the best Trek ever. Then, things changed with seasons 3 and 4 (which I didn't appreciate as much), but I still thought it was doing something new and different. This season, man...introduce a whole staff of replacement crew that have more lines of dialogue than the show regulars who have been there since episode 1? Fucking weird. And it's not even characterization. It's the typical "what if we send a subspace probe and..." BS that is in every Trek episode. This time, it's dialogue delivered by new actors and zero focus on the main crew other than Michael. I still love Michael, but I fucking hate Book, and he is ALL OVER this season. Five episodes in and it's the worst season of new Trek I've seen.
  20. This week, Desmond and Duane take an in-depth look at I Am Not a Serial Killer. Then Desmond goes solo on a Dread Media Top 5 Child Psychopaths in Films. After you watch the movie, come back and listen to the spoiler conversation at the end! Songs included: "Smiler" by Melvins, "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads, "A Skeleton in the Closet" by Anthrax, "Where No Light Shines" by Ingested, and "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne. [ download ]
  21. It was so strange to see people smoking as soon as they woke up from stasis. It was such a different time then. Glad that smoking is no longer normalized in movies. I've lost family to lung cancer.
  22. Raimi doesn't like to talk about it. Definitely watch TQATD, the Evil Dead trilogy and A Simple Plan - the latter to join this forum's tug of love! If you can find Crimewave though, do give it a watch to better calibrate what you consider to be a "bad film".
  23. YOU PEOPLE I've been curious about the Quick and the Dead, but haven't seen it yet. Honestly all of Raimi's post Spider-Man 2002 films I've seen, but before that so far it's only been the first Evil Dead and Darkman - which was awesome. But I've never even heard of Crimewave until this podcast.
  24. Alien (1979): First time seeing this in the theater. I was surprised to see how packed it was. Could not see this in the theater when it was released because I was 5 years old.
  25. I'm pretty sure the "woke agenda" people saw two women (one of them is an Asian!) and a black guy being cast and that's all they needed. Probably because of the dumb.
  26. I'm leaning Akira but catch me on another day and I'd probably say RoboCop.
  27. Narrator: but there wasn't more, and that made him sad... One more episode to go in this season's Invincible which has ruled as well. I'm slowly devouring Legion as I missed it the first time, missed it on Disney+ (I cancelled that shit) and it popped up on Crave. Dan Stevens is truly amazing. I'm assuming the Sensational Sherri episode of Dark Side of the Ring is the final episode of the season because it's the only one I cried at. That's a pretty good indicator. They did a good job, but I think maybe it's time to retire the premise. This season hasn't been so much as grim as it has been kind of repetitive. Almost every episode is about a wrestler that gets in their own way. That all said, Sherri Martel lived a very fucked up life, and it was fascinating. Heartbreaking to see Jake the Snake talking about her. Also puzzling to see pictures of Jake Roberts at 18 looking like a 36 year old. I would like to see this filmmaking team switch back to Tales from the Territories. It's a little fresher.
  1. Load more activity