RahXephon

Shinmaru

Wondering if anyone here has seen this amazing series. I bought the first four DVDs at Anime Expo this weekend (should've bought the boxset, but I spent my money too quickly :ph34r:). I was a bit disappointed with it, at first, because the pace is initially very slow. However, when I watched the first disc again I loved it. Each DVD afterwards has grown in quality exponentially. Hopefully I'll not go too long without getting the money for the final three DVDs; avoiding spoilers is always murder for me, haha.

For those wondering just what the hell I'm talking about, RahXephon is a mecha anime in the vein of Evangelion... sort of. RahXephon is compared to Eva quite frequently, but I'm of the opinion that the two series differ quite a bit, especially in terms of characterization. The comparisons between the two are mostly superficial (mecha anime, use of mecha archetypes, etc.). Like Eva, RahXephon takes the existing mecha archetypes and builds upon them in a way that establishes the story as unique and worthwhile. The character development, in particular, has been outstanding so far. Not just with the main characters, but the minor characters, as well. You get the feeling that a lot of craft and care went into RahXephon's story.

As for the visuals, I can't say much more than that they are freakin' gorgeous. Great use of color, beautiful landscapes, awesome fight sequences, and excellently designed characters and mecha. According to a friend of mine I've not even seen the best looking episodes yet - the final episodes are supposed to be breathtaking. The music is fantastic, too, which isn't surprising since music plays a large part in RahXephon's story. A lot of the music is very simple, but it complements the series perfectly. If I ever see the OST anywhere, I'm snatching it up in a second, haha.

Plain and simple, I love this series. I have no doubts that the story will continue improve beyond my expectations. If the ending is as great as friends of mine say it is, then I would not hesitate to declare RahXephon the best anime I've seen. Despite my gushing, I'm really only slightly above a casual fan of anime, so it takes something really special to draw me in enough to buy it. RahXephon's pretty damn special, I think.

Anyway, enough of my fanboy rambling. Thoughts? I'll gladly elaborate on the story a bit if anyone wishes me to. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd hate to betray the series, but RahXephon: The Motion Picture really did more for me than the series. I think it's probably because I saw that adaptation first rather than seeing the series. G4 aired the series last year under their Anime Unleashed banner, and I set my DVR so I wouldn't miss an episode, but I quickly saw that the anime was a long-winded version of the movie. With the movie, everything was streamlined and to the point, but the anime was quickly beginning to feel like the second season of Lost.

So, my personal pref would be The Motion Picture, but you're definitely right, it's a stunning anime no matter in what form. It was right down my alley, since Vision of Escaflowne is my all-time favorite anime of all. Anime with heart that just happens to have mechs. Friggin' awesome. (^-^)

~marit

I actually grabbed this series up not too long agao and the only thing I have to say is "My head hurts." I'll prolly try going through it again but everything in this show confused the hel out of me.

Yeah, although that's something that I really appreciate about the show. The complexity is what really got me behind the characters, and rooting for them, you know? Because the humans are pitted against a force they really don't understand. Plus, the whole idea behind there having to be Harmony achieved through use of a Tuner, I think it was, is just ultra-cool because those are abilities in the blood of some unsuspecting person out there. Fate is a powerful thing to work with within an anime. Escaflowne works along much the same lines. These extrordinary people are drawn together to fight an altogether not unfamiliar foe, fighting tooth and nail for their world. Great stuff. (^^)

~marit

I agree that this is a very confusing series. I've only seen five episodes so far and that's caused me more headaches than I usually have in a year. I definitely agree about complexity adding to the series though.

since Vision of Escaflowne is my all-time favorite anime of all

You're quickly starting to grow on me Marit. Escaflowne is one of my favorites too. At home I have the entire series and, very unfortunately, the movie. The first disk got a really deep scratch in it a couple of years ago but IrBen Entertainment, the local anime rental store, has the same four-disk set so I'll be able to get a replacement soon, probably this weekend. The movie was very disappointing though. I haven't had a look at the new manga series yet but it looks disappointing as well.

I agree that this is a very confusing series. I've only seen five episodes so far and that's caused me more headaches than I usually have in a year. I definitely agree about complexity adding to the series though.

since Vision of Escaflowne is my all-time favorite anime of all

You're quickly starting to grow on me Marit. Escaflowne is one of my favorites too. At home I have the entire series and, very unfortunately, the movie. The first disk got a really deep scratch in it a couple of years ago but IrBen Entertainment, the local anime rental store, has the same four-disk set so I'll be able to get a replacement soon, probably this weekend. The movie was very disappointing though. I haven't had a look at the new manga series yet but it looks disappointing as well.

Another Escaflowne fan! I'd glomp ya but I'm still a newbie. =3 But yeah, the movie is not exactly my favorite, although I do watch it when I need my Escaflowne fix, and I have the soundtrack, which is just amazing. I also have the other Escaflowne soundtracks, but I think the movie one gets the most play with Lovers Only from the series at a close second. The movie character designs are pretty interesting. I like the older Van, although he does seem bit more savage than I'd like, but I definitely like the older Hitomi. It kind of makes the whole story a bit more mature to have the core characters look like they can handle a bit more. Merle is hilarious no matter where she is, anime or movie. Oh and Folken! I absolutely love him no matter what. The Escaflowne itself is pretty amazing in the movie, so on that count I'm not disappointed. As for actual story, the movie is like an ultra-compressed version of the series and would make no sense to a newb. Only hardcore Escaflowne fans need apply.

I'm glad you're getting your replacement set of the series soon though, but stay away from the manga. I'd like to say again that I absolutely love Escaflowne. I have mini-posters, wall-scrolls, pins, and even a custom Hitomi pendant from the movie, but damn, volume two of the manga is as far as I got. It reads like something out of Shonen Jump. Dragon Ball Z as far as depth goes, but definitely worse. Utterly disappointing. Hitomi is objectified, has a ditzy personality with a cup size bigger than her IQ, Van is just worse than the movie as a complete blood-thirsty oaf, and the story just falls flat. Oy.

I think I might pop the movie soundtrack in now. XD

~marit

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching more of this series. Just as I was beginning to understand things(I think), they go back into Tokyo and things get even more confusing than ever.

Then I got around to episode 19(Blue Friend a.k.a. Ticket to Nowhere[just finished watching it so it's stuck in my mind right now]) and... well, I don't even know what to say about the end of the episode. It just took my breath away. If it lasted 10 seconds longer I guaranty I would have cried.

This is beginning to move up on my list of favorite anime. If you like anime and can withstand a few headaches, I suggest watching this series. Don't buy it right away, it's definitely not for everyone, but worth a rental if you have a local anime store.

I think I'll stop there now that my mind has settled down enough for me to sleep.