Episode 100

RSS

It's a Clive Barker extravaganza to celebrate the 100th episode of Dread Media. And some of Desmond Reddick's friends have stopped by to lend a hand. In no particular order, Tom and Derrick from Better in the Dark discuss the three films directed by Clive Barker: Hellraiser, Nightbreed, and Lord of Illusions. Darryll and Desmond sit down to discuss Candyman. Brother D debuts the new segment on horror film scores with Des, What Music They Make, on the scores for the three films Barker directed. DW returns to deliver a Brainscan on two Clive Barker games, The Undying and Jericho. And Desmond goes over his Top 5 Novels and Top 5 Short Stories by Mr. Barker, presents some interesting audio from the man himself, and produces three Dying in the Gutters segments on the comics for Hellraiser, Nightbreed, and the Razorline. Plus the following featured songs: "Hellraiser" by Motorhead, "Magic Moments" by Erasure, "Razorblade Kiss" by HIM, "Helen's Theme" by Philip Glass, and "Hollywood Babylon" by The Misfits. It's more than two and a half hours of Barker goodness! [ 2:34:55 || 71.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_100.mp3

Damn, this was epic! Sure it was long, but it covered pretty much every platform that Clive Barker's ever been associated with, and there's quite a few of them. Whilst I was worried that whole portions of the last episode of BITD would be used, the edited highlights actually worked very well and showcased Tom & Derrick nicely, in an episode that also has welcome returns from Dubs, Brother D and Darryll of course. The amount of work put into this hundredth episode clearly shows and it's probably going to remain as my Dread Media episode of the year when it comes to voting for the website awards.

A triumph, sir. A veritable triumph!

Now that is how you do an episode 100. Tons of great content, great music as always, a new segment, and overall a celebration of what (at least partially) inspired the podcast in the first place. I particularly dug the interviews with Barker sprinkled throughout the episode, nice touch. "What Music They Make" might be my favorite segment even though you just introduced it. You and Brother D have a great banter and had me interested the entire time. I couldn't help but notice that the theme from Phantasm was played during the intro to it; might there be a review of the film in the future? Again, congrats on 100 episodes Des. I've only been listening regularly since the Friday The 13th extravaganzaza, but since then, Dread Media has been a podcast I need to listen to as soon as it goes up.

Now that is how you do an episode 100. Tons of great content, great music as always, a new segment, and overall a celebration of what (at least partially) inspired the podcast in the first place. I particularly dug the interviews with Barker sprinkled throughout the episode, nice touch. "What Music They Make" might be my favorite segment even though you just introduced it. You and Brother D have a great banter and had me interested the entire time. I couldn't help but notice that the theme from Phantasm was played during the intro to it; might there be a review of the film in the future? Again, congrats on 100 episodes Des. I've only been listening regularly since the Friday The 13th extravaganzaza, but since then, Dread Media has been a podcast I need to listen to as soon as it goes up.

Cheers,

Phantasm isn't the only theme playing in the intro! :)

I may get to Phantasm in the future.

Having undertaken a drunken youtube voyage for Clive Barker-related videos last night, I have a question. Why is it that the erudite, high-voiced Barker of the late 80s/early 90s (as heard in this episode) became the croaky, hoarse guy he is today (again, as heard in this episode)? I couldn't find anything on his wikipedia page about chain-smoking or throat operations.

• 2 weeks later...

Under your suggestion, I bought Mister B. Gone the other day. Read it in one sitting. I think I'm in love with Clive Barker.

Right on. It's a charmingly wicked little nasty book.

You need to check out Damnation Game. A very standard horror novel plot with a fresh and gruesome take. So fresh and gruesome, it may be the best horror novel I've ever read.