Sega Mega Drive/Genesis vs Sega Master System

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

genesis.jpg

Initial release date: October 29, 1988

Initial price: $190

Lifespan: 1988-1997

Units sold: 29 million

Number of games released: Over 900

Notable games:

Sonic the Hedgehog series

Streets of Rage series

Gunstar Heroes

Phantasy Star series

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Comix Zone

Flashback

Pulseman

Other notes:

- Sega's most successful console.

- Alleged to do what Nintendon't.

- "Blast Processing".

- Loved add-ons.

VS

Sega Master System

sega-master-system.png

Initial release date: June, 1986

Initial price: $200

Lifespan: 1986-1992

Units sold: 13 million

Number of games released: 318

Notable games:

Phantasy Star

Rastan

Shinobi

Fantasy Zone

Captain Silver

Golden Axe

Zillion

Other notes:

- Hugely popular in Europe.

- Pause button on the console.

Genesis. It definitely pushed speed in ways that the Mega System couldn't and, while not as colorful as the SNES, still made some beautiful graphics. My other major reason for voting for the Genesis? It wasn't until a couple of years after the Genesis came out that I was even aware of the Master System's existence and today was the first time I've even seen a picture of one.

SMS was the first one I actually owned and the games were unendingly fun. Shinobi took about eleven trillion years from my life and my Dad and I could play Choplifter and a racing game whose name I can't remember for hours on end.

I made no secret that I don't think the Master System even deserves to be on here. There's not a single console in this tournament that it should beat.

The thing was a flop everywhere but Europe. It had very few good games and there's a reason most people have never even seen one before. They even tried to turn it into a handheld (Game Gear) and that failed too.

Genesis is everything the Master System wishes it could've been.

SMS was the first one I actually owned and the games were unendingly fun. Shinobi took about eleven trillion years from my life and my Dad and I could play Choplifter and a racing game whose name I can't remember for hours on end.

Change Dad with brother and you've got my history, also I played Sonic on the SMS first, along with Shinobi and the gun game(s), also you had California Games, which was fun at the time, along with built in Alex the Kidd. All in all, the Mega Drive may have better games, but it wouldn't have existed without the SMS, for both the good, and the bad reasons.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I had a choice in 1986 either Sega Master System or NES.... I stupidly at the time chose Sega. I anted the Reggie Jackson Baseball game lol.

howeer when the SNES Vs Genesis war started I liked both systems because of the mascot war between Mario and Sonic. The reason why I'm voting Genesis is because of Sonic... very cool games. My favorite is Sonic 2