The Lone Ranger

JackFetch

Well they forgot to mention that in the marketing.

Really? I thought the Bruckheimer/Depp/Verbinski angle was pretty overt in the marketing.

Well it's either that they didn't mention it enough or that it doesn't mean as much as they thought. The latter is even more pleasing!

I realize I'm very much in the minority, but I was REALLY looking forward to this. However, I have to come to the conclusion that Hollywood just does not know what to do with pulp characters now. You could make a terrific Lone Ranger movie, but I doubt it's going to come from Jerry Bruckheimer.

They constantly try to make existing properties fit their boxes. This was always going to be more Pirates than Ranger because they were looking for a name to fit a slot in their summer lineup rather than having the property and developing it independently. They did this exact same nonsense with Wild Wild West and Jonah Hex.

I realize I'm very much in the minority, but I was REALLY looking forward to this. However, I have to come to the conclusion that Hollywood just does not know what to do with pulp characters now. You could make a terrific Lone Ranger movie, but I doubt it's going to come from Jerry Bruckheimer.

And now having actually seen it, it... wasn't... horrible. Still gathering thoughts.

• 5 weeks later...

My favourite quote one that issue is this-

“Critics keep crying for original movies, you make one and they don’t like it, so what can I tell you,” - Jerry Bruickheimer

Can someone explain to him the meaning of the word original?

They also blamed it on the fact that this isn't a sequel, their guy can't fly and it doesn't have giant robots, as though in this instance giant robots were a marker of lower integrity. Pacific Rim has a dozen times the creative integrity of the Lone Ranger, plus it's an actual real Original Movie!