30 Day Comic Challenge- 2012 Edition

You Know Who

4th- Least Favorite Miniseries (13 issues or less)

shield2-0.jpg

Tom and I discussed this in the second edition of The New Adventures of Waiting For The Trade. The story was bad, bad, bad, bad. It was kind of like a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the Marvel U but utterly, utterly moronic. It sought to enrich the history of the Marvel Universe by mixing in real historical figures but instead diminished both the historical figures and the Marvel U. A razorfist was too good for the story and we downgraded the art because the artist co-plotted this travesty.

Ditto. Hon mention to the obvious Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th- A Comic With a Character You Can Identify With

2367_400x600.jpg

Not sure about the relate to deal, but I feel for this young kid who makes one stupid decision and gets life in jail. He gets bounced between psychos and criminals and uses his smarts (and new abilities) to stay alive. A fantastic series that was cut short too soon.

Honestly, pass, I don't read comics to read about someone like me, I read comics for escapism, and just to enjoy the book, not think about the shit going on in my own life.

6th- A Comic With a Your Favourite Male Character

Last year, I went with Batman, so this year:

Daredevil.jpg

Really getting into Daredevil, thanks to Bendis and Brubaker's runs.

4th- Least Favorite Miniseries (13 issues or less)

Flashpoint_1_Cover.jpg

I chose this one not because I hate the DCnU or just because I don't want to repeat my infamous choice from last year, but because I honestly think this book was worse and because it was made by creators than I am a fan of and think are so much better than this.

Honestly, pass, I don't read comics to read about someone like me, I read comics for escapism, and just to enjoy the book, not think about the shit going on in my own life.

Fair point. My choice, though:

AstonColossus.png

6th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Male Character

Did Batman last year and can't go with Spider Jerusalem since I used Transmet already, so I'm going with my favorite Marvel character ever:

Magslee.PNG

7th- A Comic With Your Favorite Female Character

Alias- Jessica Jones

medium_jessicajones.jpg

For a retrofitted character she does the best job of slotting right into the Marvel U I've seen. Her origins are classic marvel with a modern twist and her life, willingly or not, revolves around major points in marvel history. She's the most human person in the Avengers, just trying to cope with being a person and a mother first. Probably Bendis' finest creation.

Sorry, was away this weekend, so I have a few to catch up on.

Nothing I can really add here. I can't think of any comic character that's affected me like that.

6th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Male Character

scan0124.jpg

The guy in my avatar: Nikolai Dante. He was the first 2000AD character that I ever felt was mine as I've been reading the story ever since it started 15 years ago. His epic tale (and I don't use that word lightly) is coming to an end fairly soon, which will be a sad but joyous day. It's great when a story ends on its own terms rather than because of an editorial edict.

7th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Female Character

alan-moore-halo-jones-480x668.jpg

Some characters are remarkable because of how extraordinary they are. What's remarkable about Halo Jones is just how ordinary she is. She's not a princess, she's not some battle hardened battle bitch with a phantom y-chromosome, she's just an ordinary young woman who decided not to settle for the shitty opportunities life had presented her with. Unfortunately Moore fell out with 2000AD's then publishers IPC over ownership issues so it ended at book three, but those three books were really tremendous and Halo herself was a true star.

8th- A Comic With a Character You Hate

Dimitri.jpg

I'm going with Nikolai Dante again just because I can't think of any villain I hate more than Dmitri Romanov, the patriarch of the Romanov dynasty. He's basically like an elder Joffrey Baratheon with Tywin Lannister's colder sense of cruelty and composure, although there's probably a Song of Ice and Fire character who's a lot closer to Dmitri's personality who I can't name as the show hasn't really covered them yet.

scott-pilgrim.jpg

Scott Pilgrim, which is kind of the point.

6th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Male Character:

cowboy-ninja-viking-book-cover.jpg

7th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Female Character

l.jpg

8th- A Comic With a Character You Hate:

Gambit_Vol_3_1.jpg

8th- A Comic With a Character You Hate

From a villain standpoint it's this guy-

The-Walking-Dead-27-22-600x933.jpg

Walking Dead's The Governer

From a hatred because the character sucks standpoint its probably this guy-

6drhurt.jpg

Dr Hurt- Sorry Morrison but I never cared about the mystery and even then the shitty Thomas Wayne bait and switch was weak. And I still don't like Death of Bruce Wayne or whatever that story was.

7th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Female Character:

This was incredibly difficult because though I like various depictions of characters like Starfire, Raven, Lois Lane, and Black Canary, I have very little exposure to them from the comics and didn't want to use either of the Filthy Assistants or reuse Harley from last year. This one is based almost solely on her role in Formerly Known as the Justice League.

Firecheckmate.png

8th- A Comic With a Character You Hate:

Spider-Man_Maximum_Carnage.jpg

I like Venom despite the fact that his motivations rarely make much sense and the fact that he's so overexposed. Carnage, however, is completely superfluous and is even more of a poor man's Joker than Venom is.

9th- A Comic With a Character You Don’t Give a Damn About

outlawpinup.jpg

Outlaw was a short-lived series in 2000AD about a man who once won a competition for the deadliest man alive gunfighting competition before giving it all up for a life of peace. 10 years later the gun company kills his wife and kidnaps his daughter to force him to fight in a new tournament. It was a really bad series full of massive plotholes (biggest one, if they want him to fight in the competition why don't they just ask him? If that doesn't work, why not kidnap him as well as his daughter?). It was utterly terrible and the main character was so bland that all you could really remember about him was that his face was always in shadow regardless of where he looked.

I came into 2000AD just after its creative ebb and I'm glad about that to an extent because it just got better and better over the next decade but man, they really produced a lot of clunkers in the mid-nineties.

Wasp(Henry_Pym).jpg

Hank Pym. The only time you made me give a shit is when you beat your wife. Pick a name, pick a costume, pick a side and STOP CAUSING MORE SHIT THAN YOU SOLVE. 3rd smartest man, scientist supreme, they throw all this shit at the guy but he's still not a real player. Leave the ant/giant man-ing to Eric O'Grady.

Wasp%28Henry_Pym%29.jpg

Hank Pym. The only time you made me give a shit is when you beat your wife. Pick a name, pick a costume, pick a side and STOP CAUSING MORE SHIT THAN YOU SOLVE. 3rd smartest man, scientist supreme, they throw all this shit at the guy but he's still not a real player. Leave the ant/giant man-ing to Eric O'Grady.

:yes:

Fantastic_Four_48.jpg

The Richards' much more so than Johnny and Ben, who truly are compelling characters. Even so, the Fantastic Four is the corner of the Marvel Universe that interests me the least. Sorry.

10th- A Comic You Like That A Lot of People Hate

league1969coverssm_lg.gif

It might not be universally reviled but I saw a lot of criticism for this that I really didn't share (including some people taking offence at Voldemort's presence and portrayal) but i really liked this. 90% of the references passed me by but those I did get, I got a huge kick out of (my favourite being a panel where pregnant Beryl the Peril is pleading with Roger the Dodger who is clearly trying to dodge fatherhood.

Yeah, the fuck you at the end genuinely feels like a fuck you for reading this book.

11th- A Comic You Hate That A Lot of People Like

filth.jpg

The Filth

This book feels like something dank and misshapen squatting on my brain and jabbing the bits that make colours not clash.

I left the Unwritten for someone else to take, no book has got a bigger critic/fan divide than that one.

Miller%2BDredd.jpg

This was the Frank Miller piece that he was commissioned to do as a cover for the Megazine 10th anniversary issue. Andy Diggle (the then-editor) was so angry when he saw it that he sent it back and refused to pay Miller his full commission. In paying for a new cover by another artist, he left a hole in the budget that had to be covered, so he wrote a six page story himself and put Jock on the art duties. The result was Lenny Zero and, after that, The Losers. So if it wasn't for Frank Miller being shit, Diggle's career path might have taken a different path.