Luke Skywalker v Yoda

Missy

Who wins...?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Luke Skywalker: Farm boy turned Jedi turned savior of the galaxy. At a time when Jedi were plentiful and democracy filled the galaxy with harmonious peace, one would have started their Jedi training before they could lace up their own boots. But when evil evenly split the dark and light sides into two, there was no one left to train Luke. Despite that, the young man eventually stumbled upon "Ben" Kenobi and began his studies. A deft pilot -- just like his father -- Luke took to his new schooling rather slowly. However, after Obi-Wan allowed himself to die at the hands of Darth Vader, he guided young Skywalker from the afterlife and helped turn him into a powerful Jedi -- one that single-handedly destroyed the first Death Star. It was then Yoda who helped complete Luke's training, teaching him to overcome his deepest fears. And though he would lose his hand in his first fight with Darth Vader, Luke redoubled his efforts, continued his training, took on Jabba the Hutt, brought down the monstrous rancor, rebuffed Emperor Palpatine's offer to join him, fought off his father and eventually saved the man's soul.

Yoda: The ultimate Jedi, if there ever was one. At nearly 900 years old, Yoda had learned every aspect of the Force that a Jedi possibly can. Wise and meditative, the diminutive man rarely wielded his saber, but, when he did, he was truly a force to be reckoned with. Despite his age, Yoda had amazing agility that allowed him to zip around while slicing his foes into pieces. To say he was "strong in the Force" is an insult, as he was able to control/lift/throw objects (including an X-Wing) many times his size and weight. Though he was somewhat cranky and could be perceived as arrogant, Yoda was always mindful of the Force and could sense occurrences that were both yet to come and those that were transpiring many light-years away.

Since this is Yoda in his prime, then this isn't even a contest. Luke may have become incredibly good over the short amount of time he was a jedi , but that doesn't change the fact that he's still very inexperienced and has a lot to learn compared to Yoda.

I'm sure someone can think of a better way to put it, but it just doesn't seem like that difficult of a decision for me.

My original statement was going to be: "Luke is good, but not Yoda-good." And I still agree with that, but a part of me feels like there's a very solid argument for Luke out there and I want to hear it before I cast my vote.

The one big advantage I think Luke has over Yoda is heart. I really think Yoda just gave in during his fight against Sidious. Yoda was falling off that floating balcony thing, and then basically went "Welp, I guess I'll go to Dagobah now". Luke had that "never give up" in him, that I think could carry him against Yoda. He went after Darth Vader when EVERYBODY told him he was gonna lose in Empire, and really took the fight to him. Then, in Jedi, he had the same spirit, that same heart. I really think that gives him an advantage over Yoda.

Plus, I wasn't all that impressed with Yoda's lightsaber skills, overall. It looked good, but he only fought Dooku to a standstill. Dooku later got beat BAD by Anakin Skywalker, who wasn't even at Darth Vader skill level. Then you take into account that Luke beat Vader, and I'd say Luke's got the better lightsaber skill.

So I'd say that adds up to a hard fought victory for Luke Skywalker.

The one big advantage I think Luke has over Yoda is heart. I really think Yoda just gave in during his fight against Sidious. Yoda was falling off that floating balcony thing, and then basically went "Welp, I guess I'll go to Dagobah now". Luke had that "never give up" in him, that I think could carry him against Yoda. He went after Darth Vader when EVERYBODY told him he was gonna lose in Empire, and really took the fight to him. Then, in Jedi, he had the same spirit, that same heart. I really think that gives him an advantage over Yoda.

Plus, I wasn't all that impressed with Yoda's lightsaber skills, overall. It looked good, but he only fought Dooku to a standstill. Dooku later got beat BAD by Anakin Skywalker, who wasn't even at Darth Vader skill level. Then you take into account that Luke beat Vader, and I'd say Luke's got the better lightsaber skill.

That is the argument I was looking for! As much as it pains me to vote against the little green man, Luke gets my vote.

Well it really wasn't a standstill with Dooku. Dooku actually ran off while Yoda was trying to save Obi wan and Anakin.

Voted Luke. His whole story arc shows that he doesn't back away from anything, regardless of the risk. In Empire he wasn't trained, yet he ran to fight Vader; in Jedi he turned himself in, on the chance that he could save his father.

15 Votes and 4 arguments, come on people, this is the fun part!

sorry luke fanatics... Yoda wins this one.

First off, Vader wasn't trying to kill Luke, but turn him to the darkside so they could "rule together as father and son" and Luke wanted to save his father's humanity... that fight had nothing to do with lighsaber skill and everything to do with the conversation they had during it. think about it... if you are Luke, trying to turn your dad good again, would you be trying to kill him... and if you were Vader trying to turn your son to the Darkside to become your ally, would you be trying to kill him? That was a battle of Heart vs. Greed, not a battle of survival

Neither was trying to kill the other, so the "He beat Vader, Vader beat Dooku, and Yoda couldn't" arguement, to me, is irrelevnt. Besides, Dooku ran because Yoda was starting to win. He used Yoda's inability to let Anakin and Obi-Wan die to escape a battle he would have surely lost.

The battle would be memorable. it would probably be one of the closest duels in the history of the series (Luke was damn good, i will admit).... but Yoda wins this.

Forgot to do my justification for voting Yoda. As I've looked at it, I've always said, "straight up fight, to the death".

1. Force mastery - Yoda, duh.

2. Lightsaber skills - This is near impossible to call. Luke battling Vader in 1983 vs. Yoda CGI in 2000s. Big difference. I'd like to say that Yoda would take it since he has more experience, but I can't and still be fair.

3. Heart - Luke. One of the only things that I just couldn't take was how Yoda just walked away. I wish he had said something or given an explanation about how he realized he couldn't beat Palpatine or hold him off instead of just kind of walking away.

Considering that I think Yoda could stop Luke immediately with the Force (Luke didn't have near the mastery to repel it)... I can give the nod to Yoda. Force mastery is the key and Luke, no matter how you write it, wouldn't have had the mastery Yoda did, even if he had demonstrated all his skills.

Cash, you make a good point about mastery of the force. I think though, that Luke has a bit of mongrel farm boy still in him and would probably fight a bit dirty. It's all about who would get the good start, if Luke can catch Yoda on the back foot from the start, then he would be in with a chance.

Tom's basically convinced me to vote for Luke.

- Jedis don't fight to kill, in the first place

- The Luke of Empire couldn't beat Yoda, but the way he came out of Jedi convices me that he could against Yoda in his prime, especially given his record against Dooku and Palpatine.

- Luke's heart meant that ultimately he had more will power than Yoda, who remained detached from his feelings a lot of the time. Consider how he tried to keep Anakin's turn away from Obi-Wan and how quickly he turned to exile rather than risk it all aginst Sidious and Vader.