Help influence Episode 94! - URGENT!!!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 92, our subject will be Eddie Murphy.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review by 7 January 2023 so get your ideas in before then!

NB) We will not be covering voice over roles or his stand-up film RAW. Unless you can convince us otherwise.

If your podcast is meant to explore actors’ ranges, then either Coming to America or The Nutty Professor is a must (just as Austin Powers was for Mike Myers). Unless you really want to cover Norbit….

By all accounts (including @dc20willsave’s, IIRC), he was brilliant in DreamGirls and was robbed at the Oscars that year.

I caught about half of the first Beverly Hills Cop last year. Not only was it one of his first major roles, but he’s genuinely good and fairly restrained in it (or at least the parts I saw).

Yeah I predict Beverly Hills Cop might be an easy pick, because it's so popular, but when I watched it I enjoyed him for his acting moreso than the comedy.

Similarly, Boomerang is a star-studded romantic comedy he headlined, but the movie ends up being a decently sentimental and earnest story about a guy in a serious relationship. By the third act there's very little gags over drama, despite how broad the film starts out. It's personally my favorite performance from him.

I think I'd suggest Nutty Professor over Coming to America because it's a bit less dated and more ubiquitous, even though Coming to America is a better movie. Like, IDK how the Soul Glow gags will translate with Ian and Pandy lol