Help influence Episode 97!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 95, our subject will be Gwyneth Paltrow.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review by 22 July 2023 so get your ideas in before then!

Looking over her filmography, there’s a lot to choose from the mid-to-late 90s but not a lot post-Iron Man where isn’t playing either Pepper Potts or herself.

If you can’t double-dip between 1995 and 1999, then I’d suggest Emma (though there’s also Se7en, Sliding Doors, Alfonso Cuarón’s Great Expectations adaptation, Shakespeare In Love, and The Talented Mr. Ripley).

For post-Iron Man (and the year’s worst film covered nominee), maybe Mortdecai (though you could also save that for the downward spiral pick of a Johnny Depp-centric episode).

For the noughties, maybe Shallow Hal (which she’s described as a low point in her career) or The Royal Tenenbaums.

Looking at her filmography, I was surprised to discover how little of her work I've seen. Outside of her Marvel role, it's only five other movies: Hook, Seven, Shakespeare in Love, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Missy said:

Looking at her filmography, I was surprised to discover how little of her work I've seen. Outside of her Marvel role, it's only five other movies: Hook, Seven, Shakespeare in Love, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

And you can't really call her contribution to Hook to be much of anything.

3 hours ago, Donomark said:

Same with Seven, that's not a showcase for her.

She's third-billed in Seven. Whether or not her role in that film is a showcase is a separate argument, but it's at the very least more than a 3 second showing of turning around and exclaiming "Peter!"

5 hours ago, slothian said:

She's third-billed in Seven. Whether or not her role in that film is a showcase is a separate argument, but it's at the very least more than a 3 second showing of turning around and exclaiming "Peter!"

Bingo! Se7en at least gives you an idea of where her career was going to head. Hook, she's basically just standing in a boxed set.