Mortal Kombat: Deception

RSS

I'm one of those Mortal Kombat enthusiasts who sees the past through a pair of the ever-popular rose-tinted glasses. Even though I'd never fought a single round of 3D-rendered MK prior to purchasing Deception, I unconsciously deemed every game since that switch to be of lesser quality than their vid-captured predecessors.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/v/mortal-kombat-deception

Yeah, I'm still deciding if I want to get Armageddon or not. A big part of my decision to buy Deception was its pricing at $9.99 in the discount bin at Circuit City. I don't think I'll ever be too keen on the idea of dropping fifty on a fighting game. Plus, the mandatory create-a-fatality functionality at the end of fights looks pretty lame to me. I liked the silly predetermined finishers. :(

Yeah, I'm still deciding if I want to get Armageddon or not. A big part of my decision to buy Deception was its pricing at $9.99 in the discount bin at Circuit City. I don't think I'll ever be too keen on the idea of dropping fifty on a fighting game. Plus, the mandatory create-a-fatality functionality at the end of fights looks pretty lame to me. I liked the silly predetermined finishers. :(

The MSRP for MKA is actually $39.99, but I still see your point.

If you have Deception, you already have Armageddon, it's the same exact game. Konquest isn't that much better, and none of the new characters have much of a personality due to the fact that they all use recycled fighting styles and the same lazy create-a-fatality feature.

As for the whole claim about "everyone will die and all of the story's loose ends will be tied up", this was also revealed to be complete bollocks. None of the characters even have proper endings, just a kata with a narration of what happened in the background.

Don't be as dumb as me. Avoid it like the plague until it's really cheap.

• 1 year later...

The only thing that Armageddon really delivers on is the fact that every character is playable, including two new characters. The Nintendo Wii version has Khameleon too(I got the PS2 version with Khameleon omitted from the list). The Conquest is fun, but once you miss a chance to get another move, you have to beat the game and replay it again, you can't just go back to it.

The Create A Fighter and Create A Fatality part is just a filler for space they didn't want to use, useless(I don't like this on Tekken series either). $50(or even $40) is a ridiculous price to pay for a game that 9 out of 10 times you will play once by yourself than will wait to play with someone else.

I have a PS3 now and would like to see what they come up with in the New Generation of game developing, although, if it's like Spider-Man 3(which isn't much different from the PS2 version), that I'll wait 4 the price to drop on that too.