Metroid... by John Woo?!

Missy

This could be really good, or really bad.

Woo Woos Metroid

John Woo snags the movie rights to Nintendo's best seller.

April 07, 2004 - Gamers went gaga last year when news of a big-screen Metroid movie hit... The rights to Nintendo's best-selling title were picked up in January of '03 by Zide/Perry Entertainment, but the project subsequently floundered. Now we've heard, via The Hollywood Reporter, that filmmaker John Woo (Mission: Impossible 2) is injecting new life into the game-to-film adaptation. Woo and his Tiger Hill studio stepped in to snatch up the film rights when Zide/Perry let their option lapse.

Woo told the trade, "We are very fortunate that there is such an extensive amount of material to draw upon for the film due to there being so many iterations of the game over the years." There's no word on what level of involvement Woo plans on having with the movie.

THR claims the film will center on "the origins of the game's female protagonist, sexy bounty hunter Samus Aran, and relate her adventures battling the insidious life-sucking Metroids and their controlling force, Mother Brain."

Producer Brad Foxhoven explained, "We have to assume the mainstream audience is unfamiliar with the property. As for the rest of the film, we will stay true to the game and have Samus battling the Metroids and Mother Brain in a fight for control of the galaxy."

Keep watching IGN in the coming weeks for more on the game-to-film adaptation of Metroid, as well as E3 coverage of Metroid Prime 2.

-- Brian Linder

(source)

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody care/dare to do some fantasy casting?

I say go with an unknown, since she'll be behind a mask for the bulk of the film. In fact, I say they should do what they did with the first game, and let everyone think it's some bad-ass dude until the end -- when she takes he helmet off, and surprises the non-gamers.

Anybody care/dare to do some fantasy casting?

I say go with an unknown, since she'll be behind a mask for the bulk of the film. In fact, I say they should do what they did with the first game, and let everyone think it's some bad-ass dude until the end -- when she takes he helmet off, and surprises the non-gamers.

I can honestly say that would be quite badass. The only problem is, 80% of the market that will see the game will already know that. Hmm... a quandry.

I can honestly say that would be quite badass.  The only problem is, 80% of the market that will see the game will already know that.  Hmm... a quandry.

I don't think the stat will be that high for several reasons:

01. It's an older title, and not many non/80s gamers will remember it.

02. It was very hard to beat, and not many gamers finished it.

03. The movie-going population is larger than the gaming population. Only gamers will know that Samus is a woman, everyone else will be quite surprised.

I can honestly say that would be quite badass.  The only problem is, 80% of the market that will see the game will already know that.  Hmm... a quandry.

03. The movie-going population is larger than the gaming population. Only gamers will know that Samus is a woman, everyone else will be quite surprised.

Point taken... and accepted at that!

Point taken... and accepted at that!

That would be bad-ass, wouldn't it...

Now all John Woo has to do is make it Metroid translate well from Game to movie...