The Killing Joke / Dark Knight Returns

Darque Edge

Which is the better Batman Story?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As good as TKJ is, I have a major problem with it. The Joker cripples Barbara and tortures Jim -- the lives of two of Batman's confidants have been altered forever -- but the book ends with Batman and Joker sharing a laugh. That's never sat right with me. If there was ever a time that Joker needed a serious ass whooping, that was it. In fact, if Batman killed Joker right then and there, I wouldn't have blinked because it was the last straw.

So Batman: TDKR gets my vote, but, in all honesty, I prefer Year One to both of these titles.

Surely the whole point was the Joker and Batman are more similar than they'd care to admit? That, in his own way, Batman is just as insane as The Joker. The main continuaty bits went into the stories - Barbaragets crippled - but the rest, to me, reads as a complete one off. Plus, note the awesome visual point - carried over from Watchmen - of each scene leading into the next, visually.

Batmans completely off his fucking NUT. That's why I love the story.

Alan Moore is probably my favorite writer of all time, but he doesn't measure up to Dark Knight Returns. Killing Joke felt like just another Batman story, just with a little more permanent of a repercussion. TDKR was a phenomenon and shaped the entire comic scene for the rest of the 80s and most of the 90s.

drq

Alan Moore is probably my favorite writer of all time, but he doesn't measure up to Dark Knight Returns. Killing Joke felt like just another Batman story, just with a little more permanent of a repercussion. TDKR was a phenomenon and shaped the entire comic scene for the rest of the 80s and most of the 90s.

drq

I agree with that 100%. DKR gets my vote easy.