Final Fantasy XIII

JackFetch

Was watching Advent Children on Blu-Ray and they had a trailer for XIII on it. I don't believe I have seen a prettier looking game on the PS3 or any other console of this generation. It seriously feels like a game I could just sit back and watch.

Uncharted 2 is like that, too.

But yeah, I think the whole point of the FF series (minus the action spinoffs) is just to sit back and watch.

• 1 month later...
Square-Enix just announced that Final Fantasy XIII would be released in Europe and NA on March 9 on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Trailer with launch date.

I laughed when he introduced the characters. "Here is tough girl. Here is vulnerable girl. Here is hot headed guy. Here is sensitive guy." It's like they just took every stereotype in JRPGs and put them in this.

I laughed when he introduced the characters. "Here is tough girl. Here is vulnerable girl. Here is hot headed guy. Here is sensitive guy." It's like they just took every stereotype in JRPGs and put them in this.

Well, from the clips I've seen, the characters are quite a bit deeper than that. I think that they probably just needed short little identifying terms to use for the cast so they could be explained in the trailer quickly.

• 1 month later...

The game is out in Japan now. Go here if you want to see the first 10 minutes of the game. A couple things:

1. What is Square's fascination with trains?

2. Is it racist that the only black guy has a bird living in his afro? I feel like I should be offended, but at the same time it's pretty funny.

3. The above mentioned person also seems to be a stereotypical black person from a horror movie. He is comically scared a lot.

4. I keep forgetting the main character is a girl, because she looks like the typical FF guy that looks like a girl.

5. This game looks so good, and I can't wait to play it.

6. It may be a minor detail, but grenades look freaking awesome.

• 2 months later...

I am about five hours into the game and, (in spoilers though it's mostly just over the technical aspects and nothing about the story.)

I gotta say, I am enjoying it. Some of the lingo is really dense but there's an in-game dictionary to explain stuff out. The game is EXTREMELY linear but I'm not minding. The story feels good and it's a JRPG and I know what that means: I'm along for the ride but it'll be a fun ride. The biggest surprise I've run into so far is that Vanille, the young girl character, is not annoying the shit out of me. This is a huge surprise since I hated Yuffie, Selphie, and Riku, the characters from previous games she most resembles. Maybe it's because, thus far, she isn't all that useless. She's also had the least amount of character development though so I'll give it time. Plus it's all so pretty to look at.

The thing that has stood out to me most so far is the combat system. It's pretty ho-hum for the first two chapters. It's after those though that it really shines. It's at that point that you acquire the Crystarium which is basically an upgrade of the sphere grid from FFX. Everyone has different roles at this point and you upgrade them on those roles. For example, Lightning, the main character has Commando, which is mainly physical attacks, and Ravager which is combat magic and elemental attacks. I can upgrade either roles though the stat boosts apply to her overall being. You basically buy your upgrades with experience. In addition, it's at this point that you gain the ability to shift your characters between them. Since two out of three party members are AI, these roles determine how they attack and what they can attack with. In addition, you can shift between different sets of jobs during battle adding an extra bit of strategy.

Overall, liking the first few hours and looking forward to the rest.Stupid work and class getting in the way of just marathoning my way through.

• 5 weeks later...

So, as I said elsewhere, I'm watching through this cause I'm probably not going to be able to play this, as I don't make enough money to be able to own a system.

I'm in Chapter... 3 I think? Hope is possibly the most annoying character ever, to the point that I actively want to punch my computer screen, and Vanille's VA is possibly the worst I've ever heard.

I admit, it's not the best game in the series but it is kinda growing on me. Vanille's accent has stopped getting on my nerves and Fang and Lightning are probably the best character's in the game. Also have the best voice actors. That said, I am forcing my way through it and have found myself playing FFX again at the same time. Still, at least it's not VII or XII. I think I would rather hit myself in the head with a mallet then play either of those again.