Final Fantasy XIII

JackFetch

The trailer is up:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5665_en.html

I think I'm losing my taste for FF games. They all seem the same with subtle differences. FFXII was ok with the realtime combat, but we've been doing that in other games for years. Everyone seems to love them just because they have the name Final Fantasy, but I remember when that meant you were playing something different. I played the original game, and had never played anything like it. FF VII was the same way. FF X was the next step in rpgs, but they haven't raised the bar since then.

Maybe they can only do that when they start on a new console, which means this should be a landmark game. It just doesn't feel like one to me though.

Final Fantasy has been treading water for years. Don't get me wrong, I love the games and they're always fun and engrossing to me, however, I can't shake the feeling that ever since 7, I've been playing the same game over and over with merely little tweeks here and there. I do enjoy them, but they have become a bit redundant, and I guess that's why I haven't pre-ordered one, or even gotten one on it's release day since 9.

They seem to have a trend of me really loving every other game in the series.

FF - Started everything, but not much of a game, looking back.

FF2 - Flawed as hell, I admit, but I loved it anyway.

FF3 - I'm indifferent to this one.

FF4 - My favorite of the series.

FF5 - See FF3.

FF6 - Best non-Chrono RPG on the SNES.

FF7 - Overrated, overexposed, overromanticised, I'm over it.

FF8 - I might be the only one, but fuck it, it was great.

FF9 - Outside of the greatness of Vivi, there wasn't really much to it.

FFX - Just all around a really strong installment.

Not counting FFXI, since that never should have been a numbered installment in the first place.

FFXII - Wasn't into it.

So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in assuming I'm probably going to really like part 13.

Would I rather have them working on other projects? You damn skippy. In fact, I can name at least a dozen Square games from the past that could use a sequel, but this, along with Dragon Quest, is one of their only franchises that's a guarenteed money-maker, so I can't really blame them.

FF7 - Overrated, overexposed, overromanticised, I'm over it.

Could not agree more on these two. I think 7 is overrated by fanboys who only got into RPG's through this game, yet talk about it like it's the greatest game of all time. It seems most people put down 8, but I actually hold it above 7 as being better in almost every way.

I have 2 main gripes with FF games.

1. They keep changing the way you level and gain powers. That would be fine if you changed more things, but everything else has been the same since 7.

2. The sidequest, or as I call it "Golden Saucer level". Usually a little past halfway through the game they force you to stop playing the main quest and do side quests(usually some sort of gambling) to get the best weapons in the game. I shouldn't have to stop saving the world to race Chocobos.

:wub:

Althought I thought XII was awesome, too. XIII hasn't really piqued my curiosity. I was dubious, but eventually did wind up spending $100 to play FFXI, and I felt burnt by that decision. I'm sure as hell not going to spend $400 so I can play FFXIII.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If you go quick you can watch a guy playing the Japanese demo streaming live. This game looks very good.

http://www.justin.tv/esegk

The first thing I notice is that all the characters seem grown up. There is no 16 year old protagonist here.

I see guns, swords, and one dude gives beat downs with his fists.

I saw a character knock a baddie in the air and fly up and fight while in the air for a few seconds.

I can't tell who the main character is because the demo switches back and forth between different people.

I'm think I'm looking forward to Versus XIII maybe even more than FF XIII But I'll definitely be getting FF XIII for the 360.

I might agree on Versus, but I'm not getting XIII on the 360 even though I own a 360; I don't want to support Final Fantasy XIII on anything other than the PS3, the console it was made for. Now that I've had my 360 for over a year (and the PS3 is a great console now) I kind of hate the Xbox brand entirely. My 360 has already broken once, and there are ads on the main menu. Furthermore, studies have shown that Microsoft KNEW that every 360 would break within a few years for one reason or another, but chose to push out their system anyway. I want the entire Xbox line of consoles to die, and until the FF13 360 announcement, Final Fantasy was the best chance of that happening. Gah.

I might agree on Versus, but I'm not getting XIII on the 360 even though I own a 360; I don't want to support Final Fantasy XIII on anything other than the PS3, the console it was made for. Now that I've had my 360 for over a year (and the PS3 is a great console now) I kind of hate the Xbox brand entirely. My 360 has already broken once, and there are ads on the main menu. Furthermore, studies have shown that Microsoft KNEW that every 360 would break within a few years for one reason or another, but chose to push out their system anyway. I want the entire Xbox line of consoles to die, and until the FF13 360 announcement, Final Fantasy was the best chance of that happening. Gah.

Fanboyism is stupid. There is only maybe one more generation of consoles left anyways before everything will be streamed. Look at OnLive.

I had a 360 redring and you know what? They fixed it within a week. I've had 2 PSPs and they both broke, and I also had a PS2 that wouldn't read discs. I still bought a PS3 anyways. I've had almost every console in the last decade and some before that. Shit breaks. Who cares? Especially electronics. Microsoft went above and beyond and paid billions(with a B) of dollars to fix every system for free. Ads? You are bitching about a small square box that you can just ignore. Nobody ever told you there wouldn't be ads.

Fanboyism is stupid. There is only maybe one more generation of consoles left anyways before everything will be streamed. Look at OnLive.

I had a 360 redring and you know what? They fixed it within a week. I've had 2 PSPs and they both broke, and I also had a PS2 that wouldn't read discs. I still bought a PS3 anyways. I've had almost every console in the last decade and some before that. Shit breaks. Who cares? Especially electronics. Microsoft went above and beyond and paid billions(with a B) of dollars to fix every system for free. Ads? You are bitching about a small square box that you can just ignore. Nobody ever told you there wouldn't be ads.

I have counter-points for each of your arguments, but this isn't the thread to start a debate in. (But for clarification's sake, I am not a fanboy; I legitimately think that Microsoft is hurting the consumer with its practices).

So... agree to disagree?

• 5 months later...

Hmm....

Just from what's in that trailer, FFXIII seems a little bit... what's the word... preachy?

One of the things I loved about FFXII was the political intrigue and the general break from the pound-it-into-your-head philosophical rantings about life's meaning and purpose. In FFXII, characters actually acted like normal people. I hope that stays true in FFXIII.

I'm going to give this a shot but I haven't been particularly moved by any of the previews. Just seems like more of the same old crap, storyline-wise, with another confusing, convoluted battle system. I thought the same thing of FFXII and loved it, so it's not like this would be the first time I'm surprised by the series, but man... right now I'm not impressed.