Fables #1

RSS

This week the plan was to review Madrox: Multiple Choice, the miniseries that launched the superbly written X-Factor. But then I realized my hardcover collection would be arriving next week, and I'd much rather review it after having said book in-hand. (Oh how I can't wait to crack it open!) So then I thought about covering Witchblade: Witch Hunt, the collection Top Cow recently sent me for review. I even went so far as to start a review, but then I lost the damn file. Discouraged and not wanting to start over, I searched for something else.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/c/dc/vertigo/fables-01

Though I appreciate the offer, this is the third time I've tired the series. If I can't get past the opening storyline, I doubt what follows will impress me. So I'll have to decline.

Oh, and before anyone else points it out, I'll do it: I openly admit that the first Preacher trade is only so-so. It isn't until the second volume that it really gets a full head of steam. However, at least I felt like I got to know the characters in the first volume. They weren't cliches, the story was compelling, the situation they were in was fresh. Everything was new, and despite its flaws, the book held promise. From what I've read of Fables, however, nothing makes me want to continue.

Though I appreciate the offer, this is the third time I've tired the series. If I can't get past the opening storyline, I doubt what follows will impress me. So I'll have to decline.

Oh, and before anyone else points it out, I'll do it: I openly admit that the first Preacher trade is only so-so. It isn't until the second volume that it really gets a full head of steam. However, at least I felt like I got to know the characters in the first volume. They weren't cliches, the story was compelling, the situation they were in was fresh. Everything was new, and despite its flaws, the book held promise. From what I've read of Fables, however, nothing makes me want to continue.

I started Preacher with issue three and to date have not read the first two. Still love the shit out of it.