Kick-Ass

Missy

Generally speaking, I was unimpressed.

Romita's art hasn't impressed me in a long while (maybe since his run on Wolverine), and this is no different. That's not to say it's bad. I don't know if I'd ever say that about his artwork. I've simply seen better work from the man. Kick-Ass lacks the heart and emotional response I expect from Romita's work, but his skill as a storytelling is still there.

As a first issue, Millar's story was sort of bland. Half of the in-jokes were ads for Marvel, while the other half took shots at the online comic book community. Yawn. Like Romita's art, I expect more from Millar's writing.

Maybe I'll give the second issue a look, but I'm in no rush.

I expect more from Millar's writing

really ?

I guess i just don't get it. Mark Millar has been a terrible writer for ages now, and for some reason people still seem to expect more from him. The dude wrote some good stuff at DC years ago but that's about it. For a guy that was basically Grant Morrison's padawan, his output overall is extremly dissapointing.

Granted, I haven't read everything the man's written, but here's the stuff that sticks in my mind as his best.

The Authority: Great run that had the impossible task of following the Ellis / Hitch era.

Aztek: Co-created one of the most original superheroes in ages.

Civil War: An awesome, action-packed story that set the stage for the current Marvel Universe.

Superman: Red Son: Best Superman story ever.

Trouble: Millar created a whole new chapter in the Spider-Man mythos, Marvel simply dropped the ball.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: Easily one of his best works, especially the "Crossover" storyline.

The Ultimates / The Ultimates 2: He took what made The Authority great, and reshaped it to fit Marvel's Ultimate line.

Wolverine: Best Wolverine story ever.

The Authority: Great run that had the impossible task of following the Ellis / Hitch era.

Never read any of The Authority except for those two issues by Grant Morrison from 2006. The concept alone never did anything for me though, it just seemed like more deconstructing superheroes garbage.

Aztek: Co-created one of the most original superheroes in ages.

I quite enjoyed what i have read of this, but i have a suspiscion that Grant was more responsible for the greatness if anything.

Civil War: An awesome, action-packed story that set the stage for the current Marvel Universe.

One of the worst things to happen to mainstream superhero comics in recent years. Not to mention a very clumsy allegory at that.

Superman: Red Son: Best Superman story ever.

Pretty good stuff, but not the best Superman story ever. Not even the best Mark Millar-penned Superman story, that would be his work on the Superman Adventures comic.

Trouble: Millar created a whole new chapter in the Spider-Man mythos, Marvel simply dropped the ball.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: Easily one of his best works, especially the "Crossover" storyline.

I'll take your word for it. No intrest in reading either of those.

The Ultimates / The Ultimates 2: He took what made The Authority great, and reshaped it to fit Marvel's Ultimate line.

I've never actually read this, but from what I hear it's supposed to be like a Michael Bay movie with the Marvel characters. Now if he uses that to a subversive effect i can see how that would be intresting but if it's basically a big dumb action movie, what's the point ? I guess i'll have to see for myself one day.

I have heard good things about this, and plan on checking it out one day. I am sure it isn't the best Wolverine story ever though.

Wait a second, Malpractice! How can you say, "Millar has been a terrible writer for ages now... the dude wrote some good stuff at DC years ago but that's about it," but then consistently say that you haven't read any of his recent stuff?

Furthermore, I call foul on you saying, "I am sure it isn't the best Wolverine story ever though," when you fully admit to never having read it. That's too Internet fanboy for my liking.

I have heard good things about this, and plan on checking it out one day. I am sure it isn't the best Wolverine story ever though.

Hilarious. I can't even name a Wolverine story that matches Enemy of the State. Maybe I havn't read enough to declare this the best ever, but if you can't say is wasn't if you havn't even picked it up.

And much of Civil war was editorially mandated. He did a very good job considering what a convoluted mess CW became.

Plus the first 4 Authority trades are excellent.

I've never actually read this, but from what I hear it's supposed to be like a Michael Bay movie with the Marvel characters. Now if he uses that to a subversive effect i can see how that would be intresting but if it's basically a big dumb action movie, what's the point ? I guess i'll have to see for myself one day.

Ultimates 1 and 2 is some of the best writing he has done for Marvel if not the best, and its not just a dumb action movie, its a very well written comic.

Wait a second, Malpractice! How can you say, "Millar has been a terrible writer for ages now... the dude wrote some good stuff at DC years ago but that's about it," but then consistently say that you haven't read any of his recent stuff?

Of his more recent work i have read Ultimate X-Men (which i was unimpressed with), Youngblood: Bloodsport ( the less said about this, the better), Superman: Red Son (which i enjoyed for the most part), Wanted (intresting concept, but an overall an unenjoyable read), and Civil War (i have already stated my feelings on that series).

Isn't that enough?? How much more of the dude's work do i need to read before i can have an opinion on him ?? Why would i continue to buy and read books from a writer who's current output that i have read hasn't really been to my liking ??

The best stuff he has done in my opinion are his run on Swamp Thing, Skrull Kill Krew, Aztek: The Ultimate Man, The Flash, Superman Adventures, and his early work on Judge Dredd, and most of that stuff was co-written by Grant Morrison so i don't know how much of the credit i can give to him.

Furthermore, I call foul on you saying, "I am sure it isn't the best Wolverine story ever though," when you fully admit to never having read it. That's too Internet fanboy for my liking.

The best Wolverine story ever is the mini-series by Chris Claremont, and Frank Miller. 'Nuff said.

Ultimates 1 and 2 is some of the best writing he has done for Marvel if not the best, and its not just a dumb action movie, its a very well written comic.

I didn't say it was a dumb action movie, i said i "heard" it was a big dumb action movie. Big difference.

The best Wolverine story ever is the mini-series by Chris Claremont, and Frank Miller. 'Nuff said.

You're not going to get an argument from me on that score, but I haven't read Millar's story. Someone recently told me "Have you read The Twelve? It's the new Watchmen!" That was the most ludicrous thing I ever heard, until I actually read it and realized he might not be wrong. Someone someday is going to write the Wolverine story that blows Claremont/Miller away. It'll happen.

You're not going to get an argument from me on that score, but I haven't read Millar's story. Someone recently told me "Have you read The Twelve? It's the new Watchmen!" That was the most ludicrous thing I ever heard, until I actually read it and realized he might not be wrong. Someone someday is going to write the Wolverine story that blows Claremont/Miller away. It'll happen.

The Twelve is one of my current favorites but its no Watchmen. The themes are similar, but its not THAT good.

The Twelve is one of my current favorites but its no Watchmen. The themes are similar, but its not THAT good.

I'll reserve judgement until after it's done. It's excellent, but no, it's not quite up to that standard so far.

Watchmen needed a few issues to really hit its stride, too. Every great story needs more than just one full episode to lay the groundwork.

With that said, The Twelve is nowhere near as well-written as Watchmen. It's got a great premise, and I love the way it's played out so far, but the dialog and situations aren't as easy to relate to as Moore's were. It's similar to Squadron Supreme (which I just so happen to be reading for the first time) in that respect... great, great ideas and issues, but it's a little bit of a clunky read.

Malpractice, you need to drop what you're doing and read the first Ultimates series. Honestly.

I'll see if the library has it.

The Twelve just seemed like more deconstructing superhero crap, and do we really need another Watchmen clone. I will probably check that out at the library at some point as well, but it still seems kind of "meh" to me.