Episode 205

RSS

Of the five comic books Des and Mike spoke about this week (Avengers: The Initiative #11, Hercules #1, The Incredible Hercules #116, Iron Man #28 and War is Hell: The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle #2), three were filled with great storytelling, one was painfully awful and one (sort of) split them. [ 1:03:28 || 29.0 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_205.mp3

I can't believe what i'm hearing

Garth Ennis' only good work is Preacher ? WTF! What about Hellblazer, The Demon, Hitman, Chronicles Of Wormwood, and Dan Dare ? All those books are a million times better than Preacher.

A comic written by Fred Van Lente gets a 'skip it' :grumble:

and Chaykin gets bashed again :grumble:

you guys drive me nuts sometimes.

I can't believe what i'm hearing

Ha!

Garth Ennis' only good work is Preacher ? WTF! What about Hellblazer, The Demon, Hitman, Chronicles Of Wormwood, and Dan Dare ? All those books are a million times better than Preacher.

Hellblazer? Worst of the entire series was Ennis. The best thin in the Hellblazer U he's done is Heartland. Hands down. If anybody argues against that they are wrong. The Demon. Masturbatory. Hitman. Funny at first but got boring like his usual stuff. Chronicles of Wormwood I have but have yet to read. Dan Dare? I've said all I'll ever say about that on the show. Mike picks another issue for IIWY, methinks he'll be reviewing it alone. I was offended by that book's complete lack of coherence and goodness.

Yes, despite CoW (because I haven't read it) Preacher is a million times better than all those others. In fact, it's a little diminished in my eyes after having been eye-raped by Dan Dare.

A comic written by Fred Van Lente gets a 'skip it' :grumble:

I like Van Lente. His MA shit was awesome and his MODOK mini was my favorite miniseries out of Marvel in 2007. But have you read Incredible Herc 116? Ugh. Waste your money on that one and get back to me.

and Chaykin gets bashed again :grumble:

and from a Chaykin fan to boot. He has been stinking it up for years now. Blade? His Cap issue of New Avengers? Only acceptable if Marvel planned on launching Cabbage Patch Dolls with their characters' likenesses. Seeing as that hasn't happened, it's just bad.

you guys drive me nuts sometimes.

That's what we're here for.

I said it to Mike in email: I think this was our best episode yet.

I said it to Mike in email: I think this was our best episode yet.

We'll see about that. The entire BIG MO episode was one of the greatest things I've ever listened to.

I also mentioned thast in the email and this is how I qualify it: BIG MO=best moment ever and forever, this one=best full episode yet.

And now you got me all riled up...

It isn't bashing, it's reviewing. I praise stuff I think is good, did you listen to the Avengers the Initiative review? It hurt to like that book as much as I did...

All of my opinions were backed and supported thoroughly. It's a negative review. Not a bashing.

I'm done. How about them Big Mo's ?

Oops. Sorry. Got lost in all the hatred...

Mal, did you read War is Hell?

My friend has a copy of the first issue, and i looked through it and liked the artwork a lot. Once all five issues are out i'll ask if i can borrow them, and then i will get my thoughts back to you on that.

But you should seriously read Dan Dare, it's amazing!

Oops. Sorry. Got lost in all the hatred...

Mal, did you read War is Hell?

My friend has a copy of the first issue, and i looked through it and liked the artwork a lot. Once all five issues are out i'll ask if i can borrow them, and then i will get my thoughts back to you on that.

But you should seriously read Dan Dare, it's amazing!

To be honest, I never picked it up because of my complete boredom with all of the public domain character books coming out. None are any good and none have interested me beyond the first issue of The Twelve and that was a letdown. I don't blind buy Ennis. He just hasn't proven to me that he's worth it. I do like him, though.

You don't really think The Demon is better than Preacher do you?

To be honest, I never picked it up because of my complete boredom with all of the public domain character books coming out. None are any good and none have interested me beyond the first issue of The Twelve and that was a letdown. I don't blind buy Ennis. He just hasn't proven to me that he's worth it. I do like him, though.

Well i didn't like any of the other public domain character books that came out recently either. I'm also not that big of an Ennis fan, but i loved Dan Dare. It just some great straight up superhero fun!

You don't really think The Demon is better than Preacher do you ?

Well it's been ages since i have read The Demon, but i remember it being good. I didn't like Preacher much at all though.

So, on my way to work this morning...

I saw rain fall upwards.

I saw a cat chasing a dog.

I saw a Republican giving a backrub to a homeless person.

And I heard Des Reddick give a good review to a Dan Slott book.

Am I in the Mirror Universe? Does Aquaman have an eyepatch?

• 4 weeks later...

Read the FCBD version of Dan Dare and I have to say:

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have wasted the energy picking up the free book.

Yuck. It's just...so mediocre it's annoying. And Gary Erskine is maybe in my top ten currently working comic artists. His stuff was flat and the story...the story...

Sorry Mal but I gave it a shot and I can understand that some people could think it's good but great? I don't get it.