Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series, part two

RSS

Know your history: the character of Anthony Rogers appeared for the first time in Phillip Francis Nowlan's "Armageddon 2419 AD," a story which was published in the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories. As a (decidedly amateur) student of the history of science fiction, I can attest to having read this story (as well as its sequel, "The Airlords of Han," which appeared seven months later), and while it is indescribably important as a milestone of science fiction, with some amazing ideas and imaginative concepts, it's also fairly crudely written, and bears the unfortunate reality of being a part of the Yellow Peril mindset which was so prevalent in pre-war pulp fiction. Passing out in a disused coal mine outside Scranton, PA in 1927 (due to the presence of certain "radioactive gases"), World War I veteran Anthony Rogers awakens in 2419 to a world which has been overthrown by the Mongol Empire of the Han after the second World War weakened the world's defenses in 2109. Americans have been divided into barely organized gangs that are kept separated and overrun via the use of the Han's great airships -- fitted with disintegrator beams. Naturally, Rogers uses his wartime experience to give the Han what for, and is made leader of the Pennsylvania gang.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/m/buck-rogers-02

"Earth-2.net: Schooling your unruly ass."

Indeed. I see a new tagline for the website!

What's funny is, beyond the lovely lycra-clad sex goddess of my youth, I couldn't give two bits about a pistol for Buck Rogers. And yet, this is one of the most entertaining things I've read this year. Period.

Why must you be so funny and talented? Why? Why don't you just stop haunting me? I hate you Dan Toland. Hate you.*

*In the nicest way imaginable.

Plus, I have the action figure of the robot dog buried somewhere in my old crawlspace.

Next awards, I propose two new categories. Best Technical Writer (which Drq would get, of course) and Funniest Writer, in which I will cheat and actually vote for Dan as the first, second, and third place winner.