Laptop help?

James D.

So first your desktop thinks there's no sound card, and now your laptop doesn't recognize the DVD drive? Yikes, man! Yikes.

Anyway, the same thing happened to my last desktop... sort of. The computer acknowledged that a drive was there, but it refused to read most DVDs. Every so often it would be like, "Oh, hello! I'll work today, but you better hurry 'cause I'll be taking another break in a few minutes." Never did fix that problem. <_<

Anyway, the same thing happened to my last desktop... sort of. The computer acknowledged that a drive was there, but it refused to read most DVDs. Every so often it would be like, "Oh, hello! I'll work today, but you better hurry 'cause I'll be taking another break in a few minutes." Never did fix that problem. <_<

That happened to me on my last desktop too, but the issue was with the motor on the drive itself, not the computer. It turned out that just buying a new computer was only about $150 more than fixing it. :laugh:

It sounds like it has power, but isn't connected to the CPU for some reason. Can you get in there and check the connection?

Yeah, it definitely has power. But I'm somewhat (read: extremely) reticent to open up my laptop. Can you tell me what I should be looking for before I start digging around in there?

It is, but the last time I needed to get it fixed, it took 3 weeks to get it back. And I cannot wait 3 weeks because right now it's the only computer I have that is functional.

Essentially, a wire or cord running from the drive to the CPU. Sometimes they get loosened if the laptop is dropped or jostled, and can be fixed by plugging it back in. However, that's the easiest, best case scenario. If it's not that, and it's something more serious to fix, you just torched your warranty by opening it up.