Real life achievements

JackFetch

Half depression from a breakup, half need to improve my self image. I asked someone very knowledgeable on how I should go about losing weight and he gave me the best advice I'd ever heard.

"Eat less, move more."

The main thing I did was change the way I looked at food. It used to be an activity for me, and oftentimes I would eat simply because I was bored. Now I just look at food as a way to supply my body with energy, nothing more. I had to give up a lot of stuff I loved (red meat, soda, snacks) but the effort will be worth it in the end, hopefully.

That, combined with 40-60 min of cardio 3 times a week and I've pretty much built up my metabolism to the point that I can cheat on my diet once in a while if I'm so inclined, but once you get in the habit of eating semi-healthy stuff, your need for junk sort of goes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Like DW I set myself a target to lose weight and since this time last year dropped from about 245lbs to about 200. Along the way I actually set myself the target of being 205lb's by the time the Forrest Griffen vs Rampage Jackson title fight took place and made it on that very day.

Like he said as long as you stick to reasonable targets you should be just fine. I started off with just eating healthier and lost about a stone. After that I moved on to walking for an hour every night (thanks for the podcasts earth-2!), stopping almost all snacking and eating very simple meals like skinless chicken with boiled or steamed veg.

Again like DW I was inspired by a little mantra, I got mine from Lance Storm-

"If its unhealthy I don't eat it"

I've got up to the point where I cycle 10km on my excercise cycle at home every night (only takes 35-45 minutes) and do 50-100 short press-ups, crunches & squats in the morning and/or evening. I've pretty much plateaued with the weight loss just because I'm gaining muscle as much as I'm losing fat.

I'm also growing facial hair. I get bored easily and usually shave it off between 4-6 weeks in but every time it grows back better, I have no idea what kind of late ass puberty this is but it's happening. I'm about 3 weeks into the current effort and I might well keep it. Beards are a family tradition and whilst I'm not going for a big bushy deal I think I do look better with it than without.

Nice job getting published 1051, thats a goal that a lot of people aspire to and never reach, well done.

Guest DCAUFan1051

thanks stav

hell I wish I could be that persistent with trying to lose weight. I just like to many unhealthy foods and excersize hurmph forget aboutit it's wayyyy tooo hot out side. I think I'm currently at 350 not really sure don't get on the scale If I wanted a realistic goal or "ideal" weight it'd be 275 but my problem is staying there I know it's my own fault but damn you Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream lol

thanks stav

hell I wish I could be that persistent with trying to lose weight. I just like to many unhealthy foods and excersize hurmph forget aboutit it's wayyyy tooo hot out side. I think I'm currently at 350 not really sure don't get on the scale If I wanted a realistic goal or "ideal" weight it'd be 275 but my problem is staying there I know it's my own fault but damn you Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream lol

Ben & Jerry's does present a problem, in particular the cookie "Wich" ice cream they sell. I've managed to got without for a few months now thanks to meetings and the grace of god but I understand that as an addict I'm powerless to control my addiction. I just have to take it one day at a time.