Episode 265

RSS

Last week we teased it, and now it's here! The newest segment of Earth-2.net: The Show is Waiting for the Trade, hosted by Dan Toland and Michael David Sims. In this first installment, the guys speak about Abyss, volume one; Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters; and Wolverine: Origins, volume five: Deadpool. [ 1:36:15 || 44.0 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_265.mp3

I thought i would just point out to you guys since you brought it up, Mike Grell actually just recently signed a DC exclusive contract hence why they are releasing the Warlord HC to coincide with his brand new Warlord series in 2009. Most big creators have a clause in their contract that they have to keep all their work at the company in print for the duration of their exclusivity, so that might mean that there could be at the very least a new edition of The Longbow Hunter trade/HC and maybe a whole line of trades for the whole Green Arrow run.

I also really enjoyed the show btw.

I LOVE the Longbow Hunters. When I started my Green Arrow kick at the beginning of the year, that's were I started, and instantly fell in love after that.

Dinah wasn't raped. Mike Grell himself has had to clear that up a few times.

Oh, and she ditched the wig when she joined the Birds of Prey. Her hair is just bleached now.

In the Longbow Hunters I remember, Dinah is badly beaten and nearly killed. […] was this a rape? -Dhaise

Grell: Nope. No way. It always amazes me at how people read that into the scene. I tried to address the question in an issue of Green Arrow where Dinah is talking to a therapist. The line says, “People say things like ‘at least you weren’t raped’…as if that’s the worst thing that could happen.”

One guy even said he resented the fact that I had “shown Dinah being raped.” When I pointed out that it never happened, he coutnered that I had shown her “being punched in the face.” Again, although she is bruised and bloodied when we first see her in the scene, the only person who touches her lifts her head up by the hair…an instant before ollie kills him.

It's like you with the Teen Titans thing. If they're telling me, I gotta believe it.

What Grell said about the scene with the therapist seems like a retcon. If he hadn't meant to imply she was raped, why did the one goon ask the other if he wants "a little of this" before he kills her?

I'm sorry, what Grell says doesn't mesh with what he wrote in the limited series.

Edited by Yoda

I agree that it comes off that way, but only because Dinah is female.

When he says "a little of this", he could just as easily be inviting him beat the shit out of her some more before they kill her. I've seen lines like that used before when the victim is a male and the meaning isn't mixed in the least there.

I think it's just a mental association that our mind makes when a group of really sleazy people have a woman at their mercy, that, in most cases, they would rape her.

The only reason I'm not thinking it's a retcon is because I can't understand why he wouldn't just admit it if he intended it that way. It's not like rape is a taboo subject with DC, as they've done it since.

I would chalk it up to miscommunication with the artist but... he drew the damn thing.

I stand by one thing I said: at the very least, the best case scenario is that they tied her up and removed her clothing. If someone ties you up and strips you down without your consent, you have been assaulted, regardless of what if any penetration may have happened.

I agree with Mike that the likely reading of that scene is that Dinah had been raped, but Grell can't deny that she's been violated.

I agree that it comes off that way, but only because Dinah is female.

When he says "a little of this", he could just as easily be inviting him beat the shit out of her some more before they kill her. I've seen lines like that used before when the victim is a male and the meaning isn't mixed in the least there.

Here's the exchange:

Chemist: Finished with your new toy yet?

Knife guy: Naw. It's better if you make 'em last.

Chemist: Cripes, what a waste. Good-lookin' broad.

Knife guy: If you like... maybe I'll save you a piece or two. HA HA HA HA HA!

Chemist: Crazy bastard.

Knife guy enters the other room to torture Dinah.

Knife guy (to gun guy): You want a little of this while she's still got a face? After I'm done, she's gonna make you wanna puke.

There's no other way to read that. Had it been Ollie hanging there instead of Dinah, the dialog would have been much different.

The only reason I'm not thinking it's a retcon is because I can't understand why he wouldn't just admit it if he intended it that way. It's not like rape is a taboo subject with DC, as they've done it since.

It could be that DC editorial didn't have a problem with it at the time, but they forced Grell to change it after fans wrote in.

Okay, yeah, that's what I thought.

Chemist: Cripes, what a waste. Good-lookin' broad.

Knife guy (to gun guy): You want a little of this while she's still got a face? After I'm done, she's gonna make you wanna puke

Those two lines imply that they didn't rape her, but intended to at some point before killing her. If she was raped, it wouldn't have been a "waste", if that makes any sense.

With the second line, he's offering as if the prospect hadn't been explored up to that point. If they'd already raped her, he would likely say something like "want another go at her before I end this?"

There's no argument that they molested her in some fashion, and that they definitely INTENDED to rape her but didn't get the chance to.