Stargate Universe lead announced- Robert Carlyle

Stavros

BBC story

Two conclusions from this- Firstly, this is going to be a Voyager style show, a small core team with a ship travelling from world to world trying to get home. Secondly, Robert Carlyle is sick of having to look for work.

Screw it, I'll watch this just because its got such a great actor in the lead. Best dramatic tv sci-fi casting since Patrick Stewart got the gig as Picard.

edit: apparently he's not the leader of the team. He's "the ship's brilliant Machiavellian scientist". Bugger. The rest of the team description is bollocks too, they couldn't have a less stereotypical cast? A genius slacker? A soldier with a temper? A sexy female medic? A team leader who is "Jack O'Niell 10 years earlier"? Why not throw in an android struggling to understand humans and an annoying kid sidekick whilst your at it?

• 2 months later...
Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming-Na, Elyse Levesque and Alaina Huffman round out the cast of Sci Fi Channel's new original series "SGU: Stargate Universe."

The four join previously cast Robert Carlyle, Justin Louis, David Blue, Jamil Walker Smith and Brian J. Smith on the MGM TV-produced series, which began production last week in Vancouver.

Edgier than its franchise predecessors, "SGU" follows a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians who must fend for themselves after they are forced through a Stargate when their hidden base is attacked. The survivors, led by Dr. Nicholas Rush (Carlyle), emerge aboard an ancient ship, which is locked on an unknown course and unable to return to Earth.

Phillips, repped by Global Artists and manager JB Roberts, will play Col. Telford, a lifelong military man and the chosen leader of the ill-fated expedition.

ICM-repped Ming-Na will play Camile Wray, a human resources executive with the international oversight committee that governs the Stargate program.

Levesque ("Smallville") will play Chloe Armstrong, the daughter and aide of a U.S. senator. She is repped by Kirk Talent Agencies. Huffman ("Smallville") will play MSgt. Tamara Johansen, a field medic assigned to treat the seriously wounded. She is repped by the Paul Kohner Agency and New Wave.

"SGU" is slated to launch in October with a two-part opening episode directed by Andy Mikita.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...755168dec9c026e

I honestly don't get the love for this franchise. The original movie was good but I can't sit and watch any of the series without getting bored.

• 4 weeks later...
Edgier and younger in tone, SGU will take the franchise in a dynamic new

direction, appealing to longtime Stargate fans and first-time viewers alike.

The two-part premiere of Universe is being directed by Andy Mikita (Stargate

Atlantis, Stargate SG-1) and lensed by Rohn Schmidt (The Shield, The Mist).

The series is expected to premiere in October 2009.

SGU follows a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians, who must fend for

themselves as they are forced through a Stargate when their hidden base

comes under attack. The desperate survivors emerge aboard an ancient ship,

which is locked on an unknown course and unable to return to Earth. Faced

with meeting the most basic needs of food, water and air, the group must

unlock the secrets of the ship¹s Stargate to survive. The danger, adventure

and hope they find on board the Destiny will reveal the heroes and villains

among them.

The cast includes:

Robert Carlyle stars as Dr. Nicholas Rush, one of the most brilliant

scientific minds, whose motives are not what they appear to be.

Lou Diamond Phillips is Colonel Telford, a proud lifelong military man, who

puts his faith in the chain of command. Stubbornly confident, he¹s highly

regarded by his superiors. He is the chosen leader of the ill-fated

expedition.

Justin Louis portrays Colonel Everett Young, an experienced Stargate team

leader. Married, with years of tough decisions under his belt, life has

taught him never to take anything for granted. He stays on top of his team

so they stay alive.

Brian J. Smith is Lt. Matthew Scott, a junior member of the Stargate team.

Green and rough around the edges, he is thrust into the role of leader well

before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to command, earn

respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities aboard the

ship.

Elyse Levesque stars as Chloe Armstrong, the daughter and aid of a U.S.

Senator. Politically savvy, but with a wild side, she is considering

following in her father¹s footsteps, until she finds herself trapped on the

ship. As tensions rise, her character will be tested and her place among

the group revealed.

David Blue stars as Eli Wallace, a total slacker, who just happens to be an

utter genius with anything he puts his mind to - mathematics, computers,

video games. A lack of confidence has left him with an acerbic sense of

humor.

Alaina Huffman portrays MSGT. Tamara Johansen. Unable to afford medical

school, the Air Force was the best option for the strong-willed field medic.

Faced with the mounting pressure and a lack of in-depth experience, she will

be forced to rise to the extraordinary occasion of needing to treat the

seriously wounded.

Jamil Walker Smith portrays MSGT. Ronald Greer, a Marine with a temper you

don¹t want to mess with. His past is mysterious but it's clear something

dark formed the hard shell around him.

Ming-Na is Camile Wray, a human resources executive with the international

oversight committee that governs the Stargate program. Now the highest

ranking member of that division left stranded on the ship, she carries

herself with a misguided sense of superiority over the other military and

civilian survivors.

Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, will

serve as executive producers and writers on the new series.

Stargate Universe will debut as a two-hour movie event on SCI FI and will be

distributed by MGM Worldwide Television Distribution.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40530

Bleh. I want this show to die almost as much as Smallville.

The cast list is so freaking bland, "Military man blah blah complete genius blah blah woman blah blah." Jesus, have we learned NOTHING from BSG? You make the characters as you go, don't throw them fully formed into the show because it makes the writers lazy and they end up under-developing at least three during the actual air-time an turn them into Harry Kim.

Bleh. I want this show to die almost as much as Smallville.

The cast list is so freaking bland, "Military man blah blah complete genius blah blah woman blah blah." Jesus, have we learned NOTHING from BSG? You make the characters as you go, don't throw them fully formed into the show because it makes the writers lazy and they end up under-developing at least three during the actual air-time an turn them into Harry Kim.

The thing to remember is that the above summary is what was sent to the networks, hence the simpleness of it all. The creative people behind SGU have stated that the cast and plot summaries are not fully representative of the actual show.

I'm sure that BSG had a similar casting list.

"Commander Adama is the ultra-conservative tough military commander with a heart of gold."

"Apollo is the young son of Commander Adama, and commander of the viper flight group."

"Starbuck is the brash, trash-talking hotshot pilot."

"Laura Roslin is the liberal counterpart to Adama."

"Colonel Tigh talks like a pirate."

And hey, we can even go all the way back to the Star Wars original trilogy, which has the simplest characters ever devised, yet is still the gold standard for film storytelling:

Luke=young boy who dreams of adventure

Han=Handsome rogue

Leia=Tough girl

Obi-Wan=Wise old master

Darth Vader=Dark Lord

R2 and 3P0=comic relief duo

I can't believe they're making another stargate series, although I did enjoyed watching the first 8 seasons of SG-1 (only took about a month). Still it seems like enough is enough. I will inevitably watch it though. After all, isn't that what being a fan is all about?

I can't believe they're making another stargate series, although I did enjoyed watching the first 8 seasons of SG-1 (only took about a month). Still it seems like enough is enough. I will inevitably watch it though. After all, isn't that what being a fan is all about?

Yeah. Supposedly this show is going to be vastly different, with far less humanoid alien races.

All I can think about now is that magma puddle monster from Star Trek.

Horta.JPG

I can't believe that no one has mentioned that one of those people running the show was also behind the Mist, one of the worst films ever made. That's a shot of confidence.

The scriptwriters behind Spider-Man 2 are the same people who ran Smallville for the first seven years. I think we can give that person the benefit of a doubt.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned that one of those people running the show was also behind the Mist, one of the worst films ever made. That's a shot of confidence.

The scriptwriters behind Spider-Man 2 are the same people who ran Smallville for the first seven years. I think we can give that person the benefit of a doubt.

Is this an endorsement of Spider-Man 2 or Smallville? I ask because I hate them both.

Is this an endorsement of Spider-Man 2 or Smallville? I ask because I hate them both.

Spider-man 2. And I think that you'd be in the minority there. (though it's not my favorite either)

The idea is that sometimes good people make bad decisions; we shouldn't be quick to judge based on only one film. It's not like it's Uwe Boll or something.