Episode 293

RSS

Having covered the 1966 and 1989 Batman films, James, Ian and Mike are back to discuss the next movie in the Batman franchise: Batman Returns! Steady yourself for three hours of girlish giggling, historical references and potential head trauma. Oh, and there's a movie review mixed in there, too. [ 3:03:15 || 83.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_293.mp3

Due to my Internet connection crapping out yesterday, it didn't look like this episode was going to air until later this afternoon. However, thanks to Jenny's laptop and a fine fellow with an unsecured Wi-Fi connection, I was able to update the site this morning! YAY!

Enjoy!

Guest DCAUFan1051

293 isn't showing up in the iTunes wifi store :cry:

I'm still at my moms house so no iTunes on PC here still the iTunes wifi store on the iPhone should have it but NO!!!!!!!! Ggrrrr

EDIT: Nevermind- I'm home now gonna listen to it after WFP 44 :D

Guest DCAUFan1051

Mike's YAY to the penguin army is equally hillarious as him abusing his desk in the Batman 89 show :D

What would have been extremely funny is if mike and the guys could have scheduled every Batman Film to end on a episode 6 example:

266: Batman 89

296: Batman Returns

316: Batman Forever (Stone Cold Reference)

366: Batman & Robin

:D :laugh: excellent episode guys can't wat for Batman Forever

Guest DCAUFan1051
What would have been extremely funny is if mike and the guys could have scheduled every Batman Film to end on a episode 6 example:

Why's that funny?

ummm well funny maybe not but it would be very coincidental seeing as mike you hate the films and well you haven't gotten to episode 666 of the show :D that's what I was going for.... but I was half asleep

I thought I was the only one who didn't notice the lack of eyeliner in the bat costume at the end, it always annoyed me.

Anyway, great review, enjoyed it and is something I will enjoy listening to again.

I always enjoyed this movie, though what I was sad that you didn't mention was the cluster of alterior villian motives.

And how none of them got the time they needed, except shreck.

Also I enjoyed Danny Devitos penguin performance as he really made the character his own and scary, even if a little bit if a pervert.

Did you mention what you thought of DeVitos performance, I know you said the script made him a psychotic horny pervert, but how was he to you guys.

Did you mention what you thought of DeVitos performance, I know you said the script made him a psychotic horny pervert, but how was he to you guys.

James and Ian might have, but I don't think I did. Really, he hammed it up too much. He looked the part, sure, but the role was too poorly written for him to bring any depth to it.

Really, he hammed it up too much. He looked the part, sure, but the role was too poorly written for him to bring any depth to it.

Bingo.

It's not unlike what I said about Vicki Vale - if your role's written poorly, you have to act your way out of a corner and DeVito overcompensates slightly, although I quite liked his performance overall.

If anything, a Stone Cold reference would be more apt for Batman & Robin, because if memory serves, there's a couple of ice puns in that movie.....

Guest DCAUFan1051
It's not unlike what I said about Vicki Vale - if your role's written poorly, you have to act your way out of a corner and DeVito overcompensates slightly, although I quite liked his performance overall.

If anything, a Stone Cold reference would be more apt for Batman & Robin, because if memory serves, there's a couple of ice puns in that movie.....

NO Ian I meant the episode # would be a Stone Cold Reference with 316 :D

I like this film. I'm not calling it a masterpiece but it works well within its own skewed universe and the ongoing tales of all the characters do an effective job of hiding the lack of plot behind big performances. I've always really rather enjoyed watching this one (in fact post-podcast that exactly what I'm doing.

NO Ian I meant the episode # would be a Stone Cold Reference with 316 :D

Well exactly; if we could wangle it, #316 being the Batman & Robin episode would be very apropos for that reason. Granted, it's very unlikely due to the timing of our joint recording sessions, but it's not impossible. After all, the sooner the Schumacher films are out the way, the sooner we can cover the Nolan films.

A few points- I have no problem with the supernatural Catwoman because the whole 9 lives deal isn't new to comics. Wildcat, a close friend of Selina has exactly that ability despite being primarily a street level hero.

The Shreck store in the background of the first Batman/Catwoman fight? I was the same store, but after the explosion. There was no structural damage done, and you can see that the area around the entrance is all blackened. It might not be a realistic impression of an explosion but its not an error.

The Penguin having the plans for the Batmobile? Maybe Bruce flushed them?

The eye makeup deal is my favorite snafu in the film. Just seconds earlier bruce has it on, and then its taken away specifically for the reveal. Its just inexplicable. Is it meant to be natural shadow or a trick of the light? clip

The Batmobile shedding its outer skin to reveal a slimmer alternate version underneath? Dark Knight was paying homage to this I think.

Why was it an issue fr the cops chasing Penguin to be shooting at him? He just shot into a crowd with a machine gun, I think the police were justified in their actions.

Its a Bat-hydrofoil by the way.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I am surprised at how many people love the penguin from this film. One person even told me that they want to see a remake starring Paul Giamatti.

After watching the John Adams mini-series I could see why that person would want Giamatti to play the penguin. Most of the time you feel sympathy for him but there are times when you hate his character (The painting scene or how distant he is from his children). Personally I would rather see someone who looks like a gangster than a tragic villain.

If there ever will be a live action Batman film with the penguin I hope that they go the opposite direction of Burton's work. Rather than a heavily made up sewer dwelling, outcast I would like to see a well traveled well learned Oswald. Whose fortune and status is a house of cards. At first he tries to fix everything, then anyone who stands in his way start to develop strange illnesses. Batman is the one who makes the connections, I.E. finding a toxic pellet gun hidden within his umbrella. However by that time he has become a mob boss.