Dawn of the Geeks, part five

RSS

"Geek" has a complex definition for me as Earth-2.net's self-styled diversity hire. The word itself, not least its connotations, originate from North America to the extent that it is an obvious sub-genre within that society. And like most cultural output from the USA, the idea of "geekdom" has slowly made its way across the Atlantic to be applied as a negative term in today's British school playgrounds. But in that my homeland has given geek culture some of its brightest moments — Doctor Who, Thunderbirds, Rentaghost — I cannot pretend to be anything otherwise, and should be proud about everything my country has contributed. Except Rentaghost.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/multiple/dawn-of-the-geeks-05

Excellent explaination of an individual and yet thoroughly british modern upbringing, although I must say that the rest of us really cannot stand the Carry On films. Still, excellent work as always Ian.

Of course you realise that I'm always going to picture you and Adham as Bert & Ernie now.

I really liked this.

It almost had parrells to my own childhood with the shows and gaming.

I could almost hear your voice coming through your writing style which is great as it made reading this really fast and easy to do which is a plus because at the start when I saw the length I was a bit taken aback.

I'm really enjoying reading this series.... and wish it would go on past seven parts. So who would be Bert and who would be Ernie? :D

Of the two Ian would be Bert. Adham's more willing to burst into song, so he has to be Ernie.

But I have a brighter outlook on life. Hmmmm, it's a complicated question.

Thanks all. I'm just worried now that Mike knows that I can turn out an article of that length in two days, he'll be asking my why my regular articles aren't more frequent!

Stavros: I want to write something further on Carry On films at some point, but for now, I'll happily admit that I'm a fan and can fully understand why others wouldn't be. I'm in the process of selling off my VHS films so I can invest in the full DVD boxset.

Des: I do love Canada, as fun as racial-baiting can be. I have the first two series of Kids in the Hall on DVD despite the fact that they have never been shown on British television anywhere.

Suave: I can partially explain the "it's like I'm hearing you speak" thing. Whilst my joint reviews of films are rambling, around 90% of my Comic Reel-lief reviews are pre-written and I'm merely reading them back. The difference in quality shows if you compare my review of, say, the Hulk films to the second episode of FYEO. It also cuts down on the umm-ing and err-ing, which is what makes editing that bloody podcast more arduous in comparison to knocking together a CR segment.

Des: I do love Canada, as fun as racial-baiting can be. I have the first two series of Kids in the Hall on DVD despite the fact that they have never been shown on British television anywhere.

Kids in the hall is awesome, although "These are the Dave's I know" gets stuck in my head whenever I think about it.