Let the Right One In remake

After having directed the "Godzilla"-for-the-Twitter-generation known as "Cloverfield," Matt Reeves was in meetings in early 2008 trying to set up a small drama he had written.

An executive at Overture Films asked him to take a look at a then-unreleased Swedish horror film, "Let the Right One In," a hauntingly touching film about a lonely 12-year-old boy who realizes the kind girl who moved in next door is a vampire.

"I was just hooked," Reeves recalled recently. "I was so taken with the story and I had a very personal reaction. It reminded me a lot of my childhood, with the metaphor that the hard times of your pre-adolescent, early adolescent moment, that painful experience is a horror."

Reeves signed on to adapt and direct an American remake of the cult hit, now called "Let Me In," the English translation of John Ajvide Lindqvist's original novel. He recently finished a second draft of the script, currently set in Reagan-era Colorado, and is scouting locations, looking to maintain the original story's chilly, snow-swept environs. The film is scheduled for a fall 2010 theatrical release.

Reeves is also working with casting director Avy Kaufman -- who previously found kids for "The Sixth Sense" and "The Ice Storm" -- to find the two leads, which Reeves vows will not be aged-up to make the film more of a smoldering "Twilight"-style romance.

"There's definitely people who have a real bull's-eye on the film," Reeves said, "and I can understand because of people's' love of the [original] film that there's this cynicism that I'll come in and trash it, when in fact I have nothing but respect for the film. I'm so drawn to it for personal and not mercenary reasons, my feeling about it is if I didn't feel a personal connection and feel it could be its own film, I wouldn't be doing it. I hope people give us a chance."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomple...mpire-tale.html

There is no way any remake can be as good as the original. The casting was as good as you can possibly get. I blame the current vampire craze that Twilight has started for this abomination.

This news has been around for awhile, the rights for a remake were sold before it was even in theaters. Personnally, the original was amazing, and I'm a huge fan of both the book and movie, so I'm abit apprehensive about this. Although I'm curious to see how much of the book they use, such as the more disturbing parts left out of the swedish movie.

There is no way any remake can be as good as the original. The casting was as good as you can possibly get. I blame the current vampire craze that Twilight has started for this abomination.

Nah, this would've happened anyways, even if Twilight had never existed (if only, if only).

There's a general trend of Americanizing foreign horror films that do really well in independent release (see: The Ring, the Grudge, several Korean horror films come to mind more immediately). Let the Right One In would've been adapted, and fairly quickly; Twilight only accelerated the process.

Though, as I understand it, the main characters' relationship is pretty similar to that of the mains in Twilight, just more honest about the creepy.

Can't judge, never seen the original as of yet. Should probably get on that.

The only aspect of Twilight I've ever heard it compared to has been in the main characters' relationship. Otherwise, I've heard very high praise pretty much everywhere. And honestly, if Twilight had been more honest about the creepy and not tried to idealize it, it probably would've sat better with me.

"Subtitles are hard" isn't a valid reason for a remake in my book. That's not to say that remakes shouldn't be done, The Departed was an excellent retelling of Infernal Affairs, it was original enough to justify its retelling. I just hope that they manage to make this a worthwhile version and not a shot for shot pretender or a shambolic farce that fundamentally changes what made this film work.

"Subtitles are hard" isn't a valid reason for a remake in my book.

Especially when it's such a good looking film that your eyes shouldn't leave the screen.

Oh yeah, there's no quality concern here. Those who have seen it will know that there is one scene ruined by cringeworthy cgi but in terms of cinematography its a good looking film.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still, fuck this remake.

Let the Right One In is practically perfect.

Note: This post may come in direct conflict with the review I made: 2 reasons for this. 1.) Hate remakes on principle. 2.) Really fucking hammered 3.) Upon rewatches, LTROI is a much better movie than I gave it credit for.

• 3 months later...