Episode 77

RSS

I just realized why Batman had to pilot the Watchtower. Though it's never outright said in Justice League, J'onn is weak to fire. So there's no way he could have survived long enough to crash it to Earth.

The problem is, while there were times when a fire attack took out J'onn, there were other times it had no effect. I assumed that they intended that to mean that he can be taken down by a big attack, but it wasn't necessarily the fire. It certainly didn't seem to be like Kryptonite, like in the comics.

I figured it was due to 2 things. In story, first, it would likely take too long, even telepathically, for Batman to bring J'onn up to speed on everything that needed to be done. Second, Batman is certainly not going to ask someone else to take that risk for him - even of J'onn may have been a better choice (not to mention, he may well have had some security measures in place to make sure that no one but him can access the piloting systems). After all, it's not just a question of what makes sense to us - Batman forced the decision, so it's really a question of who Batman would feel was the best choice to make sure it went off without a hitch. No doubt what his answer would be.

Great review for a great episode. I noticed a lot of bits of body language that really conveyed emotions, which takes a lot of skill in animation. Mike mentioned the Flash just crumpling when Batman says "Gentlemen. It's been an honor." I also noticed when Flash hugs Shayera, that she's trying to hold herself straight, rigid, and tough, but then she just leans into him - she obviously needed that hug right then.

Along the lines of Superman shedding his boyscout image, the other line that really stood out is when Superman, Diana, and GL pull up to face the flagship and see the forces arrayed against them.

"Pretty bad odds."

"Yeah. They don't stand a chance."

The music during that battle is one of the 3 pieces of JL music that I most wish would be released in a clean form (along with the Wonder Woman and Green Lantern themes). I would include the Blackhawk theme, but it was included as a music video on the season set.

Chris

I'm trying to remember the last time the cave was used but they might have reused the background from Batman Beyond to save a few bucks. I'll have to watch some Static to figure out.

I think the first time Static was in the cave was in the Static 4th season opener, Future Shock, when Static went into the future and met McGinnis. Robin was there; however, that doesn't asnwer the question of when ROTJ took place, because 2 episodes later, in "Fallen Hero", Static meets up with GL, who had not yet shaved his head and grown the beard. Future Shock aired in Jan 04, and Starcrossed in May 04.

Chris

there is a torrent out there featuring the soundtracks to Mask of the Phantasm, Sub Zero, and Return of the Joker, as well as a CD with tidbits from Batman Beyond, another with the suites of five Batman TAS episodes--I Am The Knight, Day of the Samurai, Feat of Clay, The Laughing Fish, and The Demon's Quest--and one with the music from three Superman/Gotham Knights episodes, those being Fish Story, Judgment Day, and In Brightest Day...(which of course has the Green Lantern theme and is AWESOME); seek it out

I'm trying to remember the last time the cave was used but they might have reused the background from Batman Beyond to save a few bucks. I'll have to watch some Static to figure out.

I think the first time Static was in the cave was in the Static 4th season opener, Future Shock, when Static went into the future and met McGinnis. Robin was there; however, that doesn't asnwer the question of when ROTJ took place, because 2 episodes later, in "Fallen Hero", Static meets up with GL, who had not yet shaved his head and grown the beard. Future Shock aired in Jan 04, and Starcrossed in May 04.

Chris

there is a torrent out there featuring the soundtracks to Mask of the Phantasm, Sub Zero, and Return of the Joker, as well as a CD with tidbits from Batman Beyond, another with the suites of five Batman TAS episodes--I Am The Knight, Day of the Samurai, Feat of Clay, The Laughing Fish, and The Demon's Quest--and one with the music from three Superman/Gotham Knights episodes, those being Fish Story, Judgment Day, and In Brightest Day...(which of course has the Green Lantern theme and is AWESOME); seek it out

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the podcast & spent the summer months catching up on all of the episodes (yes even the Zeta ones).

One question has always plagued me about "Starcrossed"...

- The hawk-solders are at the train-station checking for ID

- Superman runs up to them and states “Excuse me, Clark Kent of the Daily Planet…”

- The hawk-solder replies “Go Away!”

… exactly why are they asking for ID??? Do they expect his driver’s license to say “Superman” on it???

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the podcast & spent the summer months catching up on all of the episodes (yes even the Zeta ones).

One question has always plagued me about "Starcrossed"...

- The hawk-solders are at the train-station checking for ID

- Superman runs up to them and states “Excuse me, Clark Kent of the Daily Planet…”

- The hawk-solder replies “Go Away!”

… exactly why are they asking for ID??? Do they expect his driver’s license to say “Superman” on it???

It's martial law. They're going to check ID's for any reason they see fit. (Civil liberties be damned and all that.)

Welcome to the forums!

Since Shayera was a spy, it fits to reason that she knew all of their secret identities. So the Thanagarians were looking for IDs that matched the real names of the heroes.

It doesn't make a ton of sense, because why would superheroes carry their civilian ID cards? But maybe the Thanagarians don't know that?

Welcome to the forums!

I would argue that of the heroes secret identities, Shayera probably would have found Superman's out first, since everyone should be able to realize that Superman looks a bit too much like a certain prominent journalist at the Daily Planet yet they're too dumb to realize it (unless, of course, Superman is being played by Christopher Reeve, in which case I can forgive it somewhat) :P