Sandman

Koete

For all the comic book and graphic novel properties getting tapped for Hollywood adaptation, one of the most beloved entries in the medium's modern history has also been one of the quietest comics in terms of adaptation buzz...until now.

The Hollywood Reporter has word that Warner Bros. Television is planning on acquiring the rights to adapt Neil Gaiman, Dace McKean and a wealth of artist's epic DC Vertigo series "The Sandman" in order to bring the story to the small screen. The award-winning, 75-issue series turned perennial best-selling graphic novel collection has flirted with adaptation as a movie for years including a stint where it was to be a vehicle for Gaimain's "Beowulf" co-writer Roger Avary. However, in recent year talk of any kind of adaptation of the lives of the Endless characters has centered around Gaimain's "Death" spinoff series rather than "The Sandman" proper.

As this new report explains, apparently DC Comics had been in talks with HBO to adapt the series until recently, but with parent company Warner Bros. stepping in to take the lead, a name that's come up to adapt has been Eric Kripke – creator of The CW's hit "Supernatural." Though that show will return for its sixth season this year, Kripke stepped down as "Supernatural" show runner stating that his original five-year plot for the series had wrapped.

Source

Okay, Sandman can work as a series but it does have to be on a cable network, preferably HBO or Showtime. The problem is working out just the right pacing for the series. Some of the standalone episodes are some of the best. I could see sprinkling them in a little but it would mess up that kind of pacing, especially if it's a thirteen episode a season program.

Also, if they do do this show, Selma Blair needs to be Death.

Selma Blair needs to be Death.

How about we get a good actress instead?

I like Selma Blair and she looks the part. Besides, it could be worse and they got some Disney Channel graduate to play her. Miley Cryus is Death. Take a second to think about that and cry to yourself.

She was the worst part of both Hellboy movies. Let someone else ruin these. :P

• 6 months later...
Remember yesterday’s announcement that the planned television adaptation of The Sandman had stalled? It turns out it was all a dream.

Less than 24 hours after Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, Warner Bros. Television’s top choice to develop the Vertigo project, was quoted as saying “Sandman is not in the works, at least for this season,” DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns took to Twitter with a “correction.”

“Correction to world: The Sandman is AWAKE!” he tweeted this afternoon. “Psyched to be working with @neilhimself on developing one of the greatest series ever!”

“@neilhimself” is, of course, the Twitter account of Neil Gaiman, who created the acclaimed series, working with such artists as Mike Dringenberg, Sam Kieth, Dave McKean, Jill Thompson and Charles Vess over the course of 75 issues.

“Sandman in any form — comics to live action — doesn’t work without @neilhimself,” Johns added.

So what do we make of this latest turn? Good question. When the plans for the series were announced in September, it was noted that Gaiman wasn’t involved in the development, “though because it is early in the process, that could change.” That didn’t exactly fill fans of Gaiman, or The Sandman, with confidence. And when Kripke talked to The Hollywood Reporter on Sunday, he said he’d spoken to Gaiman about an adaptation, but didn’t indicate he’d worked with the writer.

Perhaps realizing that, in Johns’ words, that Sandman “doesn’t work without” Gaiman, Warner Bros. and DC pulled the brakes on a Kripke-led project so they could chart another course with The Sandman creator.

Source

• 2 years later...

Man, I'd love to see Goyer try to impose his standard superhero script on Sandman.

I think you can do this, but structurally it's going to be unlike any other tv show with a lot of standalone episodes and mini-arcs stopping and starting the flow of the thing and almost zero action beyond continual fratricide by Cain. I do think Season of Mists would be fascinating to try to adapt for tv.

Man, I'd love to see Goyer try to impose his standard superhero script on Sandman.

I think you can do this, but structurally it's going to be unlike any other tv show with a lot of standalone episodes and mini-arcs stopping and starting the flow of the thing and almost zero action beyond continual fratricide by Cain. I do think Season of Mists would be fascinating to try to adapt for tv.

All of it would be facinating to try to adapt for TV. But 99% of it will go straight over everyone's head and it'll get cancelled fast. A movie would be better.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...