Red State

holyghost.th.jpg

A group of kids encounters a crazed preacher (based on Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church) who gives a whole new meaning to the term "extreme fundamentalism."

I hope this doesn't suck because I am one more shitty movie away from giving up on Kevin Smith as a filmmaker. Cop Out was horrible.

I hope this doesn't suck because I am one more shitty movie away from giving up on Kevin Smith as a filmmaker. Cop Out was horrible.

I've heard his Batman: Widening Gyre was horrible, so maybe he's just lost the plot writing wise as well. But yeah, I'll wait to hear what other people think, before I give this film any of my time.

• 1 month later...
Kevin Smith tweeted that he won't do press for his upcoming horror film Red State.

"I'm not press-junketing at all, anywhere," the director wrote, as picked up by New York Magazine's Vulture. "In fact, I'm not doing any press outside of maybe a business piece or 2 to help sell the flick if needed, & radio (LOTS of radio)."

Instead, Smith says he'll give journalists all the information they need to write a story via a podcast at http://smodcast.com/redstate/. At the same time, interested moviegoers also can access the information absent the media's filter, he wrote.

"It's INSANELY detailed, and by the time we're done, I'll have pre-answered all questions about RedState -- thus negating the need to speak with me about it," he wrote. "From nearly 20 yrs experience, I know this much: folks are gonna write WHATEVER they want, whether I sit down with them or not. So I'll just furnish all the information I'd normally serve up one at a time to a small, jaded audience that doesn't really give a s--t unless there's someone famous in the room, to a much larger, APPRECIATIVE audience that would actually enjoy & benefit from hearing the same information."

Smith said the Q&As also will be transcribed for the "SUPER lazy writers" who don't want to listen to 12 hours of audio.

"Nobody needs to talk to me anymore anyway, as anyone who's curious can always know what I'm thinking 24/7 right here on Twitter," he wrote.

Smith's decision may not be surprising: He vented his frustration over the negative critical reaction to his last movie, Cop Out, on Twitter earlier this year, even suggesting that critics who want to see his movies should pay.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-smith-tweets-wont-interviews-66576?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29

Fuck this guy's ego is huge. He's also lazy as hell. He can do all the radio interviews and the podcast from his house.

• 2 weeks later...

Not interested at all.

I'm a politically active person. I've been a candidate for elective office (I got crushed) and I've volunteered for candidates. I maintain a political blog and I closely follow the news. I listen to both Rush Limbaugh and Rachel Maddow daily. My movies, TV and video games are an escape from that.

I don't want my movies to be a two hour sermon. That's why I didn't like "the day after tomorrow" which rammed environmentalism down my throat for two hours. "Saw VI" was the only movie in the series to actively tick me off by being overtly political - it could have been a Barack Obama campaign commercial. I thought "John Q" was great right up to the end when they started preaching about health care.

And associating Red State with Fred Phelps? For crying out loud, how lazy can you get? How stereotypical can you get? Everyone hates Fred Phelps, on the left and right. The man is nothing more than an attention whore. His sole purpose in life is to get on the news as much as possible by pissing everyone off. I'm pretty far to the right (I refused to vote for McCain in 2008 because he's far too moderate for me) and I have no use for Phelps.

The whole premise of the movie is bovine feces. Naming it "red state" is unnecessarily provocative and insulting.

I hope this bombs.

I don't know. I watched the trailer on IMDB (I don't know if that's the same one you guys watched) and I thought it looked kinda rough and visceral. Michael Parks is in it. He's pretty fuckin cool. He's like the american Stephen McHattie. John Goodman always brings it. He's from Rosanne.

I'm not saying I'm gonna run out to the nearest movie house and demand an immediate showing but I might look for it on VHS.

Following the official first screening of his latest film, Red State, writer/director Kevin Smith surprised the Sundance audience by revealing that he's not using the festival to look for a distributor for the film after all. Instead, Smith has plans to self-distribute as a traveling roadshow.

Beginning March 5th at Radio City Music Hall, Smith will tour the film across North America before releasing Red State through his Smodcast Pictures on October 19th (the 17th anniversary of the release of Clerks.)

What's more, Smith has announced that his upcoming production, Hit Somebody, based on the ballad by Warren Zevon, will be his last project as a director. He will put the film together with the same crew as Red State and, from there, expand Smodcast Pictures with a dedication to giving aspiring filmmakers a chance to have their projects shown.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73468#ixzz1BvavWQ8w

Yeah, Kevin, listen, we've had some great times. Remember how much I laughed at Clerks? I know Dogma has shaped my point of view with religion. You are one of the reasons me and my best friend are friends. But you need to face it, you're so far up your own ass at this point that even I can't make excuses for you. We had some great times but there comes a time when a boy outgrows a director. I wish I could afford to spend 60 bucks to see your movie. I know there's a Q&A after it but I also know you don't take criticism all to well anymore and I'm afraid if I give you some good reasoning for why the movie failed, you'll just be a douchebag. You were a dick to my friend Jack Fetch here just because he called you on something. I know the critics hurt your feelings on Cop Out but it happens. No reason to let that turn you into a jerkwad. It's also no reason to give out fake notices about auctioning off your film to them and then using it to go off on a tirade after about how your idea is better since you get to pocket more of the dough. Listen, we'll always have Chasing Amy and if you do another Jay and Silent Bob movie, you have my number. I'll call you sometime, we can do Chinese. Laters!