Favorite/Best: Doctor Who Series 1

Koete

Favorite/Best: Doctor Who Series 1  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm in the same boat as Austen and Mike. "Father's Day" is my favorite for its emotion and importance in Rose's character arc. "Dalek" is a close second for me, as I think the reunion between The Doctor and the Dalek is one of the best scenes from the first series.

"The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" is the best for its serious tone, the sheer creepiness of the gas mask children, the introduction of Captain Jack, and The Doctor's exclamation of "Everybody lives!" at the end.

My favourite is actually The Long Game when I think about it. I like the concept of a rubbish companion to prove that the Doctor doesn't travel with anyone, the head opening aspect is pretty creepy (helped by Tamsim greig's performance) and I LOVE Simon Pegg in this episode.

Of all the good-to-great eps of Season 1 (Rose, Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Father's Day and the final 2 parter), I have to go with The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. Debut of Captain Jack (who has an edge to him in this story), Rose in a Union Jack top, the Blitz and one of the freakiest threats seen in the show's revival. Lord knows it was never going to be the Slitheen...

I think the reason I didn't pick Father's Day like most others did is BECAUSE it is so emotionally draining. I can definately appreciate it on that level and I find it fantastic and Paul Cornell's the man, but I find it hard to watch on the grounds that I grew up in a conflict-less bubble and so that kind of writing really cuts me to the quick.

My favourite is actually The Long Game when I think about it. I like the concept of a rubbish companion to prove that the Doctor doesn't travel with anyone, the head opening aspect is pretty creepy (helped by Tamsim greig's performance) and I LOVE Simon Pegg in this episode.

Though I like the idea of what they were doing there, it fails for me because the entire thing comes off as "Isn't Rose great?! She's so perfect! Swoon for her! Swoon!" Never mind the fact that in the very next episode Rose's own selfish actions destroyed all of space and time, led to The Doctor's death, and resulted in her father killing himself to save the universe.

I don't say this often, because I do respect the man and generally like Rose, but screw Russell T. Davies' love for his delicate little flower.

Though I like the idea of what they were doing there, it fails for me because the entire thing comes off as "Isn't Rose great?! She's so perfect! Swoon for her! Swoon!" Never mind the fact that in the very next episode Rose's own selfish actions destroyed all of space and time, led to The Doctor's death, and resulted in her father killing himself to save the universe.

I don't say this often, because I do respect the man and generally like Rose, but screw Russell T. Davies' love for his delicate little flower.

I agree with you almost entirely, except for the fact I think it was less this episode and more ALL of RTD's run that went with that message. Obviously Adam's inadequacy was made to play up Rose's "goodness~!" and the fact the episode ran next to Father's Day did contradict that fact, but I don't think that's The Long Game's fault neccessarily.

If anything, I applaud Cornell for showing up Rose's selfishness and then RTD pretty much ignores it.

• 1 month later...