Catching Fire

• 3 months later...

I like the books. Katniss is a great lead character and I like the fact that she isn't just naturally talented with a bow and arrow, it's something she had to pick up to survive. While they are written for teenagers, the characters are fantastically complex and occasionally do things you might not like without ever thinking "wait, why are they doing that? It makes no sense." I'd definitely recommend them.

The first film was a really good adaptation of the first book but I think it helps that Suzanne Collins wrote a set of books that lend themselves to cinematic shots. Some parts were cut or condensed (for instance the giant dogs that chased them at the end were supposed to have traits of all of the other pledges that had been killed in the Games. I can't remember if they ever made it clear if they had grown the dogs from the genetic material of the other pledges or if they were just designed that way to psychologically fuck with the Katniss, Peeta and Cato. In either case, it probably wouldn't have come across so well on screen.)

I'm quite looking forward to this film as well. Well, so long as they don't bother with the shaky cam in District 12.

As long as they retain the look and production values of the world I'm fine with changing the action direction a little. The whole reason I enjoy this universe is because it's so solid. It feels real. Hopefully they're not thinking that a Harry Potter ground-up change is needed.

This book series gets worse as you go along in my opinion. Catching Fire mostly keeps the spirit of the first one, but the third one is just a disjointed mess because the whole rebellion is crammed into one book.. Mockingjay is going to be a totally different look and feel from the first two.

• 1 month later...

This book series gets worse as you go along in my opinion. Catching Fire mostly keeps the spirit of the first one, but the third one is just a disjointed mess because the whole rebellion is crammed into one book.. Mockingjay is going to be a totally different look and feel from the first two.

I agree that the first book is the best but personally I think Catching Fire is the weakest of the three books, though that is just my opinion.

Also, I've heard that Mockingjay is being split into two films which should mean they can make it less disjointed and properly portray the rebellion

• 2 months later...

The "Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" opened with $161.1 million at the box office, narrowly besting the original film and setting a record for a November opening.

The result, from studio estimates Sunday, fell short of some expectations, and failed to dethrone the year's biggest box-office opening of $174 million for "Iron Man 3." But it did best the previous top November opening of $142.9 million by "Twilight Saga: New Moon."

But the bigger budget and better reviewed "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is doing far better abroad than the 2012 original. It opened with $146.6 million internationally.

The domestic total included Thursday night screenings that made approximately $25 million. The film's three-day weekend total of $136.1 million was actually less than "The Hunger Games."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/24/catching-fire-box-office-161-million-opening-weekend_n_4333793.html

-Did they seriously not score any new orchestral music for this? There were three major themes that were reused from last movie, and one was understandable (Panem's anthem), but the other two I don't understand the logic on reusing.
-Finnick's actor was the one I was most worried about coming in, but he did great, which is good, especially with what's coming up for him next book.
-Johanna stole the show though, in terms of the new minor characters.
-Cinna. CINNA.
-Peeta as a character grates on me a lot less than he did in the books, though that's mostly due to how he handled things here.
-I've always been way more interested in the worldbuilding prior to getting into the arena than the Games themselves, and that continued to hold here.
-The films are really shying away from more of the serious/disfiguring injuries; I get that they're trying to keep the PG-13, but there are some that I don't get the logic on them dropping.
-I am going to be really interested to see how they do next book and keep the PG-13, because there's one specific plot point in Mockingjay that they hinted at in this movie, but if they choose to keep it, it's going to take the films to an R.
-By cutting some of the subplots that they did from the book, it made the ending (which was already pretty abrupt in the book) even more abrupt. But, liked the transition they did at the end of the film of the main symbol, that was pretty damn awesome.
-Three moments that gave me chills: District 11, the end of the Career interviews with Flickerman, Cinna's last moments with Katniss.

I watched this, really enjoyed it and I'm now halfway through the trilogy of books. Is it just me or is this thematically the strongest teen-lit series out there? Potter and Twilight are what they are but I feel like this was made for 14 year olds to really get their heads around concepts and write book reports for English class. It combines reality tv, public relations and real power and suppression together.

This middle portion of the series was depressing, but really developed the world. If the first was Battle Royale this was Spartacus.