Sign in to follow this  
RSS

Armageddon 2015 AD: The Hugo Awards

In this special episode of Books Without Pictures, while taking a look at the 2015 nominees for Best Short Story, Wendee and Dan have strong words about slate organizers, some of the works they were successful in forcing onto this year's ballot, sandwiches, and their cat. This particular episode is being submitted for consideration for the 2016 award for "Most Repeated Uses of the Phrase 'Steaming Pile.'" [ 2:25:27 || 70.4 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/bookswithoutpictures/episodes/bookswithoutpictures_special_001.mp3

If anyone's interested, the award ceremony is being streamed live this Saturday night at 8PM PT at www.ustream.tv/hugo-awards. The pre- and post-game show (seriously, that's a thing) is being hosted by Steven and Warren from the Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro podcast.

There's also going to be a live text-stream via CoverItLive, available at www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2015-hugo-awards-live-coverage/ if bandwidth is an issue.

No word yet on if they're going to announce any unawarded categories ahead of time, so that people don't have to turn up and sit through the experience of finding out that no one got a Hugo.

Edge of Tomorrow is enjoyable watching it in the moment, but it would lose a bit in a repeated viewing; there's also some eye rolling Screenwriting 101 stuff in there. Interstellar tops the Long Form category for me by leaps and bounds.

With just under an hour to go, I can confidently say that this is not only your best episode to date, but it's one of the best episodes of anything to ever be published on this site. You're both being very honest and blunt, yet fair, in your critique of these works -- and of the situation as a whole.

Plus: That damn cat!

Wow. Thanks, guys.

I am very proud of this episode, but we've both been a little overwhelmed by the feedback.

It's one thing to say that the Puppies dominating the ballot is a garbage fire; it's another to actually read and dissect pieces from the slate; it's a third to convince someone to do it with you. So yes, quite salute worthy.

If anyone's interested, the award ceremony is being streamed live this Saturday night at 8PM PT at www.ustream.tv/hugo-awards. The pre- and post-game show (seriously, that's a thing) is being hosted by Steven and Warren from the Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro podcast.

There's also going to be a live text-stream via CoverItLive, available at www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2015-hugo-awards-live-coverage/ if bandwidth is an issue.

No word yet on if they're going to announce any unawarded categories ahead of time, so that people don't have to turn up and sit through the experience of finding out that no one got a Hugo.

Watching it right now, enjoying David Gerrold's rainbow suspenders.

Best Novel: The Three Body Problem, Liu Cixin

Best Novelette: The Day the World Turned Upside Down, Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Best Dramatic Long Form: Guardians of the Galaxy

Bets Dramatic Short Form: Orphan Black

Best Fancast; Galactic Suburbia Podcast

Best Fanzine: Journey Planet

Best Semiprozine: Lightspeed Magazine

Best Fan Writer: Laura J. Mixon

John Campbell Award for Best New Writer: Wesley Chu

No Award: Best Short Story, Best Novella, Best Related Work, Best Editor Long Form, Best Editor Short Form,

No Award: Best Short Story

I'm shocked, shocked I say.

I literally punched the air.

Also, Ms. Marvel won Best Graphic Story.

Best part is the winner for Best Novel was added when one of the Sad Puppy choices withdrew.

As was Best Fanwriter. That Mixon piece was outstanding.

Hearing your summary of A Single Samurai, it sounds like a really interesting idea. Sad that it seems like it wasn't idealized to its fullest potential.