Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Every Film You've Watched in 2019

School Daze: I've this before in college where I watched a spate of Lee's filmography. The ending really through me, and though it's ultimate meaning did not escape me, my confusion came from the fact that it's not a particularly deftly written screenplay. It bangs into its themes with as much blaring percussion as its soundtrack. The ending doesn't *not* make sense, but it's escalation feels incomplete. But ultimately, this is a very enjoyable, entertaining movie that highlights some of the best early work of terrific actors such as Lawrence Fishburne, Giancarlo Espositio, Tisha Campbell, Jasmine Guy, Kareem Hardison, Bill Dunn, Samuel L. Jackson and several more. It has a fun vibe, despite the bleakness of the climax. The song numbers are all great even though they're done without the frequency to make this a musical, and even in some cases seem unnecessary and are just for show. But it's not as big a structural failure as Lee's later film "Jungle Fever", which abandons its central plot like a red-headed step-child to focus on Sam Jackson's crackhead character. This isn't a perfect movie by any means, buy what's on-screen is so engaging that I defy anyone to not like it despite themselves by the end.

Reign of the Supermen: Pleasantly enjoyable. I didn't like it as much as "Death of", which I still think is arguably the best Superman movie ever, but this was still fun. The Reign story is still difficult to fully adapt, so halfway through it becomes another Darkseid story that feels right out of the animated series. That and some of the direction makes this feel a bit padded and not as urgent, but it's not a huge detractor. Loved the "classic" Superboy. The animation was excellent with the third act giving us some of the most fearsome images of Darkseid ever delivered in animation. Also, there's a scene halfway through with the Justice League that's genuinely funny and witty and almost worth the price of admission. This was nice. Not a classic like its predecessor, but still fun. Coupled together, they're the best versions of the character since the DCAU.

Dragon Ball Super: BROLY: Far and away one of the best animated entries in the DB movie canon, possibly the best looking of all time. This was really good. Super's blandness and lack of imagination has left me cold, but the direction for this film was a real return to form for a series that can't fully recapture the magic of the 90s but has been trying like hell for the past five years. After hundreds of episodes and over two-dozen movies, this one manages to produce arguably the best Dragon Ball action ever. I also really enjoyed the expansion on the continuity. Yes, there are some mighty retcons but they didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought they might. Highly recommended for fans.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

The Death of Superman: This is shockingly good. Like, serious contender for Best Superman Movie good.

I agree.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

The Death of Superman: This is shockingly good. Like, serious contender for Best Superman Movie good.

I KNOW RIGHT???

Reign of the Supermen: This was a rather decent Lois Lane movie. The story structure felt a little unfocused at times, though.