Iron Man

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first reviews are starting to come in over at aicn, and they are almost all positive.

One thing I was surprised about

was that Mandarin does play a part in it. He is the leader of a terrorist organization that uses a flag with ten rings on it.

Also,

they pulled the Nick Fury scene from the theatrical cut of the film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The first reviews are starting to come in over at aicn, and they are almost all positive.

One thing I was surprised about

was that Mandarin does play a part in it. He is the leader of a terrorist organization that uses a flag with ten rings on it.

Also,

they pulled the Nick Fury scene from the theatrical cut of the film.

Wait till after the credits.

awesome movie, maybe the best Marvel Movie yet

Probably not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wn4iYoMcAA, though, huh?

Could someone please explain to me why Blacklash doesn't have any... you know... black in his costume?

The black is the waist down if you get my drift...

And the lash refers to it being prehensile? :huh:

Of course, I know nothing of Blacklash, so that statement would be funnier if they are a she.

Just came back from it.

I don’t have a whole lot to say that hasn't been said everywhere else at some point. I just wanted to say that I really, really enjoyed it. I came in with high expectations and it matched them perfectly. It’s worth staying behind after the credits too; the bonus scene was excellent.

I usually just go by Empire and they gave it 3 stars. Thats by no means my final judgement on the film but I to tend to respect thier critical opinion. I'll just geek-gasm over it, I find it tough to be objective.

Empire drops a star for every film that is not British:)

I'm seeing it tonight in my shitheap small-town theatre. Hopefully I can keep the savages away long enough to enjoy it!

I usually just go by Empire and they gave it 3 stars. Thats by no means my final judgement on the film but I to tend to respect thier critical opinion. I'll just geek-gasm over it, I find it tough to be objective.

Empire drops a star for every film that is not British:)

That does seem fair. If Tony Stark was an overweight Yorkshireman then that film would get 5 stars easy.

This was a hell of a lot better than I expected it to be, and I really had minimal interest going in.

I think I spotted a cameo by Tom Morello of all people in the first act.

This was a hell of a lot better than I expected it to be, and I really had minimal interest going in.

I think I spotted a cameo by Tom Morello of all people in the first act.

I just got back and yeah...it fucking rocked!

That was Tom Morello. I saw him in the credits, speaking of: if you stayed through the credits you got the tease of all teases too.

Furthermore: Internet Quiz, Drunken Antics of Tony stark or Robert Downey Jr.?

Fantasy Moguls reports that Iron Man earned an estimated $35 million on Friday domestically. It pulled in $5.2 million on Thursday night. The $35 million is said to include the portion of the $5.2 million preview business that came after midnight.

The Hollywood Reporter added that the comic book adaptation earned $22.4 million internationally in its first two days from 35 markets. If those numbers stand, that's already $57.4 million worldwide not even counting international figures for Friday.

Over two days in release, Korea has delivered $2.4 million; Singapore, $905,331; Thailand, $652,192; and Hong Kong, $533,859. While in just one day, Italy has pulled in $1.7 million and Australia, $1.1 million.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7160

Boxofficereport is estimating 85-89 million for the opening weekend.

I didn't think it was all that great. The first 45 minutes were pretty cool, and i liked Robert Downey Jr in the role (when he was spouting off the one-liners) but after that the whole thing turned into a boring, cliched, dragged out predictable mess. Honestly who didn't see that villian reveal coming the second the character was introduced at the beginning of the movie ???? The terrible dialogue, the waste of a supporting cast, and the stupid drawn out battle at the end that looked it was a fucking video game. I seriously don't see how anyone thinks this is the best comic book movie ever ? It's not even the best Marvel movie either (not even close).

Fantasy Moguls reports that Iron Man earned an estimated $35 million on Friday domestically. It pulled in $5.2 million on Thursday night. The $35 million is said to include the portion of the $5.2 million preview business that came after midnight.

The Hollywood Reporter added that the comic book adaptation earned $22.4 million internationally in its first two days from 35 markets. If those numbers stand, that's already $57.4 million worldwide not even counting international figures for Friday.

Over two days in release, Korea has delivered $2.4 million; Singapore, $905,331; Thailand, $652,192; and Hong Kong, $533,859. While in just one day, Italy has pulled in $1.7 million and Australia, $1.1 million.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7160

Boxofficereport is estimating 85-89 million for the opening weekend.

HO - LY FUCKBALLS! That's an opening night right there!

Honestly who didn't see that villian reveal coming the second the character was introduced at the beginning of the movie ????

Nobody. I don’t see how that counts against the film though. He even looked evil in the trailers; I don’t think they even tried to hide the fact that he was a bad dude. His facade was more to fool Tony than the audience.

The terrible dialogue, the waste of a supporting cast, and the stupid drawn out battle at the end that looked it was a fucking video game. I seriously don't see how anyone thinks this is the best comic book movie ever ? It's not even the best Marvel movie either (not even close).

I didn’t think the dialogue was that bad

(well, except for some of Obadiah’s lines at the end)

. And the final fight was like a videogame? Really? I thought it was paced just right and never got too over the top

(again, outside of Obadiah’s lines)

.. I’m not quite sure what else they could have done with the supporting cast either, since everyone seemed to get a decent amount of screen time.

Out of curiosity, what would you say was the best Marvel movie?

Very good film. This lays the foundation for a real avengers-based movie series with individual new heroes spinning into out out of that franchise. They kept the story simple once they got back to the states which I appreciated since the origin is one of the more complex in comic book history. Previously I'd expressed skepticism that Iron Man was a truly marketable superhero. I fully retract that statement, the concept is one of the most cinematic comic book characters ever devised. Whilst every other hero runs around with an animal motif in spandex or a rubber body suit Iron man is a truly modern hero, born from and equipped for the wider problems in the world instead of just mad scientists, serial killers and muggers. He's thought provoking (arms dealer grows a conscience) and popcorn friendly, and on top of all that the character of Tony Stark is really a charming funny guy. He's Bruce Wayne without the emo.

I'm really looking forward to both Hulk and the future announcement of further Marvel Studios films that can really build this universe. They SO have to do an Avengers film and introduce Thor just like they did in the Ultimates, as a seemingly crazy guy with incredible power.

Jeff Bridges was perfect. I saw it as a Vincent Price-type role for him and my respect for him as an actor is even higher now. Loved him.

There was no hiding his villainy when he's made up to look like an Islamic version of the 60s Batman series' Egghead.