Battle for the Cowl

SuaveStar

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying I 100% even believe my own post but this is what I'm thinking...

Morrison's Batman and Robin = Thomas Elliot and Damien

Remember that promo piece, looked like Hush and Damien were connected and standing next to one another...and Dini set us up with a Bruce Wayne-lookalike-Thomas Elliot. This is a long shot but worth considering.

Judd Winick's Batman = Jason Todd

Winick brought back Jason, the Batman in the cover to #687 looks a little more evil, and

Jason Todd is Batman right now (set up with his own cave and everything) and is only one more robin away from not having any major challenger.

The belt is the only thing making me think I might be wrong.

Chris Yost's Red Robin = Nightwing

Dick is the most loyal to Bruce and Red Robin is out looking for him. This could easily be Jason or Tim but Nightwing is my guess.

Anyway, I'm probablly way off and I'm bias to really wanting Hush to get in the mix but I think it would be a great twist.

• 4 weeks later...

Battle for the cowl preview

We are a few days away from this all being over.

So now that we're at the finish line, the tie ins are nearly done, and now we will have BFTC part three, the end.

If we look at that teaser so far, we have not had what I really wanted to see

Two Face dresed as Batman

kind of annoying, but I'll live.

So now it's over the question is, do you think it will be worth it, or will it just be another story that has no real climax and says this it, go read Batman the regular comics now.

Me, I really have low hopes for it to be anything but adequate and really just run to the finish and say it's done, what do other people think?

Three days and this whole "Mystery" is over.

I swear if we get several Batmen, I am going to be pissed.Grayson, enjoy the mantle.

Overall I've enjoyed Battle for the Cowl. I'm not sure it was ever supposed to be this HUGE life changing story rather just a bridge between RIP/Final Crisis and all the stuff going down this summer with the different titles. For the purpose of setting us up for maybe the next year of Batman stories I think it's been good. My only adjustment would be to span it out a little more, 3 issues just seemed to rush the story.

My prediction is that we will have more than 1 Batman running around. I mean, do you really think Dick Grayson is going to completely shut down Jason Todd? Whether or not you think it's a load of crap. since his return he's pretty much been unstoppable and they've been hinting at him becoming some kind of Batman since his days as the Red Hood. I doubt their plan was to give him his time in the Cowl during a 3-issue mini-series (when the guy who wrote his return is coming back to the Batman title).

I think the solution here is no one can replace Bruce Wayne as Batman. No one can do all that he does; so Gotham will have several Batmen running around (Dick Grayson being one of them). The villains/bad guys think it's just one guy but can't figure out whats going on. They think, "Is Batman going to show up and kill all my henchmen? Is he going to bring that brat robin kid with him? Is he going to deduct what my plans are foil them before I get a chance to execute?"...that kind of thing.

And I wouldn't mind it if that happens. Bruce Wayne will always be THE Batman and it will be a little satisfying to see that no one can completely replicate what he does. It would be interesting too to see how the rest of the DC Universe responds to 2-3 Batmen running around. How do they know which one to cooperate with? Or to trust? Maybe some of them think one is Bruce?

Anway...I've written a lot already and before I get caught at work I'm going to go back to my job. Can't wait till tomorrow!

As far as I'm concerned Tim or Dick don't have the right to be Batman if they can't claim the name as theirs alone. It makes them both look really weak if they can't stop Jason at least wearing that mantle.

COMPLETELY AGREE.

Part of me thinks that Tim just proved why Bruce hasn't promoted him to anything beyond staying as Robin (i.e. he got stabbed). If he can't take down Jason Todd how is he supposed to run Gotham? And I guess it's unfair to say the same about Dick cause we haven't seen him go toe-to-toe with Jason yet but why he was in the cave staring at the suit when Two-Face, Jason, and Penguin were running around was a little weak. Part of me wishes Alfred would just say something like, "Tim (or Dick), just dress up in whatever suit you want and shut Jason down! Team up, play dirty, do whatever you have to do clean up the streets again."

As the fans it's popular to say there is only one Batman (which I believe) but if I ask myself, "What would Bruce say if he knew what was going down?" I don't think he would be offended by one of his prodigy's taking his costume out; I think he would be more offended that Gotham is being run by villains.

Speaking of Bruce, I hope he's doing ok in the cave.

I think you have to have Dick be Batman for the readers to accept him.

That photo actually raises a lot of questions for me.

1. When the fuck does Two-Face put on that costume? That's fucking dope.

2. Anyone catch the body in the Wayne Industries crate? What's going on there?

3. IS that Hush with Damien? It just looks creepy.

4. What the hell happened with Tim? He looks pretty quickly recovered from his fight with Jason Todd.

And most importantly...

5. Is that Alfred in SAS gear? AWESOME.

That picture was out months ago, I posted it to show what I was hoping to see in this.

I would love two face to wear that Batsuit, but I don't see it happening sadly.

Did I miss Batwoman some place in one of the issues?

Alfred is the leader of the outsiders that's why he's wearing the field gear.

It could be Hush, it hasn't really been said yet though.

I still want a two face batman figure.

So Battle for the Cowl is over.

It reminded me a lot of a LOST episode. It satisfied me a little but still left with tons of questions. I'm assuming that's Dick Grayson at the end taking up the mantle but their is a little room for doubt, Black Mask isn't the Black Mask, and Jason Todd's career as a Batman replacement is far from over.

Things that annoyed me...

...Gordon. Why was he even in this whole thing?

...Those promo pieces.

...Harley Quinn in those promo pieces. I guess Tony Daniel just likes drawing her.

...Catwomen's complete disappearance from the story

...DC's (and I'm sure Grant Morrison has his finger in there) unwillingness to JUST TELL US WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON! When R.I.P. was over we were told it wasn't really over for Batman and to read Final Crisis, in FC we were told to keep reading Batman cause it's not over, now that Battle for the Cowl is done we still don't 100% know who Batman is! They do some slow ass dark reveal that leaves another month of DC smiling and saying, "I doooont knoooooow. Better keep reeeeading." DAMN IT DC just reveal something, give us SOMETHING for our loyalty, and move on!

Things I loved...

...Tony Daniel's art. (nough said).

...Black Mask. Although I wish they would have just told us who it is, that scene of him holding his own mask or whatever was pretty cool.

Overall...

I though it was pretty good but only if you bite your knuckles and accept it as a bridge piece. Red Robin, Batman and Robin, Judd Winick's Batman, Streets of Gotham...this is where I think things are really going to get hairy. BFTC was just the set-up, and as a set-up it wasn't bad.

You said it all batcave Janitor.

Though I enjoyed this, it wasn't the end to a mini series.

If this was just an issue of Batman and a story arc in that, I would have enjoyed this more, but it wasn't, it was meant to be special and it wasn't awesome.

The art was nice, but they left a lot more questions than answers, which should be nice.

Also thank fuck we don't have multiple batmen!

So, I enjoyed it, but was underwhelmed by the fact we got no Two-Bat-Face.

Also

Jason Todd looks to be Dick's Joker and that leaves so many unanswered questions that could be awesome.

I really can't wait to see how this plays out in Batman.

So, next month is first issues and Judd Winicks right after this story takes place.

I guess that's all that's left to be said is the battle for the cowl was more psychological then it was physical, and in the end, it wasn't who was going to take the cowl, it was really who was going to stand up to Bruce. In the end their is only one man who ever could and now he is Batman.

Story was alright thought I am kinda bummed that

Dick is Batman rather than Tim

. I mean, it does make sense because when Bruce comes back ,(Hopefully no one is under the illusion that this is the new status quo and not just a momentary change to soon be changed back to normal)

Dick will go back to being Nightwing, which makes sense as opposed to Tim going back to being Robin would be like Wally West becoming Kid Flash again.

Frankly, that was the only thing keeping me from getting all too excited about the brand new Batman. No matter who get the mantle, they were little more than a placeholder for the Once and Future Bat.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres how I see things working out. This is from the teaser pic in Final Crisis. Of the BFTC, here is my final take.

Two face will flip a coin and realise that he has to help the new Batman because of how much respect he had for his predecessor.

Kathy(Or Katy) Kane is a detetcive.

Bruce wayne is Tommy Elliot, looks like their may be some backstage partnerships between fake Bruce and Damien. Bruce Wayne comes back in July, it's just not the Bruce we want. But Bruce is Damiens "Father"

Alfred is a field agent with the outsiders now.

Tim is trying to be all Bruce was, yet he isn't truly Batman.

Harley is thinking should she go back to being a bad girl.

Jason is pissed off, and Dick feels awkward in the suit, he is a night-wing, not a Bat-Man. Also he's getting used to the cape. Jason will be Dicks Joker in that he is his other side, what if someone was Robin and let the darkness take over and become the abyss.

Also I am pretty sure that it was not Bruce who was the corpse in final crisis, what if it was the blob who took a place in Bruces mind during Darkseids plan? He could have been able to use strength to atleast take the brunt of the Omega Sanction and caused Bruce to be sent to the end of time, in a cave on crime alley with Bruce writing down what has happened to him and how the events have altered his outlook.

Hey, that's just me.