Marvel Signs Samuel L. Jackson To 9 Picture Deal

Koete

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that actor Samuel L. Jackson is to reprise his fan-favorite role of Nick Fury in as many as nine films for Marvel Studios, including “Iron Man 2,” “Thor,” “Captain America,” “The Avengers” and whatever sequels those films generate.

The news of this unprecedented deal comes just weeks after Jackson appeared to be unhappy with the status of negotiations with Marvel. Obviously, the conflict has been resolved.

THR also indicated that a “S.H.I.E.L.D.” film with Jackson as the top-billed star is also in development.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20178

This is great news, Samuel L Jackson will be awesome in all these films. I still haven't seen the David Hasslhoff film Nick Fury (or is it S.H.I.E.L.D) I heard it supposed to be a good enough film for a low budget TV Movie. I used to love the FOX Spider-Man series that featured him in several episodes.

Who would like to see Michael Clarke Duncan reprise his Kingpin role in a future Spider-Man film? I would, he was great in the role, even better than John Rhys-Davies(from Trial of the Incredible Hulk).

Guest DCAUFan1051
This is great news, Samuel L Jackson will be awesome in all these films. I still haven't seen the David Hasslhoff film Nick Fury (or is it S.H.I.E.L.D) I heard it supposed to be a good enough film for a low budget TV Movie. I used to love the FOX Spider-Man series that featured him in several episodes.

Who would like to see Michael Clarke Duncan reprise his Kingpin role in a future Spider-Man film? I would, he was great in the role, even better than John Rhys-Davies(from Trial of the Incredible Hulk).

The Hasselhoff movie was Nick Fury Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Best Buy has it exclusively on DVD I have a copy of it. And while it's very cheesy I liked it because it was the first thing I saw the Hoff in since Knight Rider as far as movies or TV movies go. It came out in 1998. You can see the pics I posted of the DVD here: Nick Fury DVD Thread

Cool. Whether you like him or not Sam Jackson is a name and a draw, especially in this type of franchise with its cult fan base. The fact that he's there tying it all together means that every new film will have the potential to draw more just because it will be seen as a companion to Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk and whatever else they come up with.

Also Dread doesn't like Sam Jackson AND Morgan Freeman? How do you feel about Denzel Washington? (If you publicly admit to disliking three black actors I'm legally obliged to call you racist. Its either five black people you've met, four black musicians, three significant black actors, two civil rights representatives or one Barack Obama. I can try and dig up the accumulator table if your interested.)

Also Dread doesn't like Sam Jackson AND Morgan Freeman? How do you feel about Denzel Washington? (If you publicly admit to disliking three black actors I'm legally obliged to call you racist. Its either five black people you've met, four black musicians, three significant black actors, two civil rights representatives or one Barack Obama. I can try and dig up the accumulator table if your interested.)

:unsure:

Do rappers count as musicians? I thin Al Sharpton himself counts as two civil rights reps...

:unsure:

Do rappers count as musicians? I thin Al Sharpton himself counts as two civil rights reps...

Rappers count as musicians, and Al Sharpton already thinks you're a racist and he's never even heard of you.

Why don't you like Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman Dread? Morgan Freeman alone has made some of the best films I've seen. Samuel L Jackson is also a great actor. I love Denzel's movies he's another gifted actor. I don't think your a racist, but please explain why you wouldn't like 2 or 3 of the best African American actors there are.

Why don't you like Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman Dread? Morgan Freeman alone has made some of the best films I've seen. Samuel L Jackson is also a great actor. I love Denzel's movies he's another gifted actor. I don't think your a racist, but please explain why you wouldn't like 2 or 3 of the best African American actors there are.

Simply because they are two guys who don't act and one guy who overacts almost as much as Al Pacino.

Freeman was in Shawshank Redemption, one of the greatest films ever made and if you question that then you're wrong. But he played himself. There is never any depth to anything he's in. He's literally been driving Miss Daisy his entire career.

Sam Jackson, I loved more than life itself in Jackie Brown but again, same shit different movie. He's also got one of my favorite movie moments of all time (Deep Blue Sea and if you've seen it you know). But again, he's just Sam Jackson. It's a mistake to make him Fury, in my opinion. The actor will never effectively play the role. Even in Black Snake Moan, a film I liked a lot, he couldn't break away from being Julius for very long at all.

They're both stars, not actors.

Denzel was awesome. He fell into the Pacino trap. The Pacino trap goes like this: name + well-written script + yelling = acting. That's not how it works and these guys have forgotten this. Pacino is far worse. He was never better than he was in Godfather II, then he did Dog Day Afternoon which wasn't the best performance but it was courageous and out of his element. Then he did Scarface and decided he never needed to do any other role. Look at the difference between Godfather 2 and 3: he's not even the same character.

Back to Denzel, he's capable of breaking out whereas I don't think Pacino is. He needs to pick some more varied scripts besides "cop on the edge" if he is ever going to redeem himself in my eyes.

You're right about Pacino as of now in his life. But you have to remember that for his age he's not gonna try to do something other than what people already know him fondly as. Pacino's best performance was in both Godfather 2 and Scarface, because the character in Godfather 2 was so well developed from the first film and in Scarface his character was just out there. I liked him in Devil's Advocate and thought that was his best performance in that period of his life.

The character of Nick Fury from my understanding is a military type character who seems to have no feeling, but is still a good guy. Samuel L Jackson's performances in Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction are that same type unfeeling. Even when his character in Pulp Fiction decides to get out of the business he's in, he plays it straight forward the same way. You are right that many of his roles he doesn't seem to act differently, but that's because of the role he chooses. Its like he's been type cast not by a role, but by an attitude. Same goes with Julian McMahon(Cole in Charmed, Dr. Doom in Fantastic Four films).

Morgan Freeman was great in Shawshank Redemption, his character in the film was meant to be a man who has learn the error of his ways, but is never given a chance, because of the time period he was in. Kiss the Girls and the Nolan Batman films are also great performances. Along Came the Spider he plays the character the same way as in Kiss the Girls, but its a prequel to that film.

I got caught up with Denzel for two films alone....Philadelphia and John Q. Those two performances right there showed me he had a talent that could not go unnoticed. Kind of like Charles S Dutton in The Crying Game and even Vantage Point great performances in both. Denzel in both those films acted off two great actors(Tom Hanks in Philadelphia and James Woods in John Q) and it heightened his role greatly.

The character of Nick Fury from my understanding is a military type character who seems to have no feeling, but is still a good guy.

Yeah, the movie version of Fury is based on the Ultimate line of Marvel comics, where he's exactly as you described. His morals aren't quite as strong as someone like Peter Parker's, though. He ascribes to the "kill ten, save a thousand" philosophy.

I think that SMJ can play the role perfectly, but that may only be because I've seen his exact likeness in the comics doing those exact things.

furyjackson.jpg

The character of Nick Fury from my understanding is a military type character who seems to have no feeling, but is still a good guy.

Yeah, the movie version of Fury is based on the Ultimate line of Marvel comics, where he's exactly as you described. His morals aren't quite as strong as someone like Peter Parker's, though. He ascribes to the "kill ten, save a thousand" philosophy.

I think that SMJ can play the role perfectly, but that may only be because I've seen his exact likeness in the comics doing those exact things.

furyjackson.jpg

Cool thanks for the facts; that's how I remember him being unfeeling in the FOX Spider-Man cartoon series