Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JackFetch

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, yeah I meant the TV series, should have said so. Which raises an interesting point, I view the movie as a stand alone product, not really related to the TV Show. Is that what the studio is also thinking? The problem with that reasoning is that the TV show created the audience, so like you say, people see it as the only one.

I still stand by my, not calling it Buffy, but using the Slayer lore for the basis of the movie. Otherwise it will just feel weird.

After Warner Bros. announced today that they are moving forward with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer "reboot"—without the involvement of the iconic mastermind behind the TV series, Joss Whedon—I checked in with Joss for his reaction, and here's what he just shared with me via email:

Kristin, I'm glad you asked for my thoughts on the announcement of Buffy the cinema film. This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this. My first reaction upon hearing who was writing it was, "Whit Stillman AND Wes Anderson? This is gonna be the most sardonically adorable movie EVER." Apparently I was misinformed. Then I thought, "I'll make a mint! This is worth more than all my Toy Story residuals combined!" Apparently I am seldom informed of anything. And possibly a little slow. But seriously, are vampires even popular any more?

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you.

Leave me to my pain! Sincerely, Joss Whedon.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html#ixzz164PFux3m

See, I'd feel more comfortable about this if the screenwriter actually had any credits to her name (she doesn't, I've scoured the internets), and it wasn't being immediately likened to Batman Begins (please let this be not gritty, please?).

I'll be interested to see what they do, but it's probably not gonna get my money.

Each version was a different generation of fans. The tv show was 5 years after the movie, so it really had nothing to do with it. This new one is 7 or 8 years after the series so it makes sense.

Some would argue the series ended in 1999.

Harsh. Buffy had its best episodes after that point, even if the arcs weren't as stong.

I've said it before, screw this on many levels. On the other hand it doesn't make the original series less good and it's not like Joss was going to go back to it, so what the hell, let someone else reimagine it and see how they do. I'll wait for the reviews.

Each version was a different generation of fans. The tv show was 5 years after the movie, so it really had nothing to do with it. This new one is 7 or 8 years after the series so it makes sense.

Harsh. Buffy had its best episodes after that point

I respectfully disagree.

1999 is the third season, so you're dismissing Hush, The Body, Intervention, The Gift, Once More with Feeling, Normal Again, loads of the best acted, written and directed episodes. Seasons 2 and 3 might have the best overall arcs but you can't deny the quality of those standalone episodes.

Harsh. Buffy had its best episodes after that point

I respectfully disagree.

1999 is the third season, so you're dismissing Hush, The Body, Intervention, The Gift, Once More with Feeling, Normal Again, loads of the best acted, written and directed episodes. Seasons 2 and 3 might have the best overall arcs but you can't deny the quality of those standalone episodes.

I'm not denying they were good eps, I AM disagreeing that they were better than Innocence, Suprise, Becoming, Amends, Graduation, Angel etc etc.

And I'm disagreeing with your disagreeing. The episodes Starvos mentions all have pretty unique premises, and you can actually tell them apart from each other.

The episodes you mention all have Angel/Angelus in them, which can be boiled down to a simple formula: angst angst vampires are evil and I'm the Slayer we shouldn't be together oh let's be anyways and this will totally suck.

I'm not saying they're not good, cause they are, but I also feel that Angel getting a spinoff show and him finally leaving the show except for the occasional cameo was one of the best things to happen to the series, cause it actually allowed for Buffy to get some development.

And I'm disagreeing with your disagreeing. The episodes Starvos mentions all have pretty unique premises, and you can actually tell them apart from each other.

The episodes you mention all have Angel/Angelus in them, which can be boiled down to a simple formula: angst angst vampires are evil and I'm the Slayer we shouldn't be together oh let's be anyways and this will totally suck.

I'm not saying they're not good, cause they are, but I also feel that Angel getting a spinoff show and him finally leaving the show except for the occasional cameo was one of the best things to happen to the series, cause it actually allowed for Buffy to get some development.

And the post '99 seasons have more Spike. SPIKE.

I actually think Spike was a misused character after Season 2, for the most part. He was just used for laughs, and rarely had anything deeper. There was the Buffy romance, but that wasn't really something that needed to happen.

I prefer Spike in Season 5 of Angel. He's back to being his normal badass self, while not getting distracted by Buffy.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

What does that even mean?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

It means I'm laughing at the premise that Angel leaving the show was one of the best things to happen to the show.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

It means I'm laughing at the premise that Angel leaving the show was one of the best things to happen to the show.

You could just, y'know, say that. With words. I mean, I don't see why you would think that, because I agree with Hanners. Angel leaving did two things: Gave us an AWESOME spinoff, and let Buffy have a real life. She got to be with Riley and Spike, both relationships adding to her character growth.