Batman Under the Red Hood

grahamvidger

Was there ever a reason given on how the villains all know Nightwing was the first Robin

Yeah, that was weird. I have no problem with the rogues gallery figuring out he used to be Robin, but common street criminals should be like, "Who the hell is that?"

"Fuck if I know."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with saying that Joker knows Batman's identity but ignores it is that it really doesn't make a lot of sense. In stories like The Killing Joke and Return of the Joker, he's very specifically targeted the heroes personally (Gordon and his daughter; Bruce and Tim).

The Killing Joke in particular illustrated that Joker wants to target people on a personal level; I can't see him ignoring such a powerful psychological weapon.

Joker absolutely knows in the comics. He has seen him without his mask on. And there are his actions in the recent issues of B&R.

The problem with saying that Joker knows Batman's identity but ignores it is that it really doesn't make a lot of sense. In stories like The Killing Joke and Return of the Joker, he's very specifically targeted the heroes personally (Gordon and his daughter; Bruce and Tim).

The Killing Joke in particular illustrated that Joker wants to target people on a personal level; I can't see him ignoring such a powerful psychological weapon.

Joker absolutely knows in the comics. He has seen him without his mask on. And there are his actions in the recent issues of B&R.

When Bruce is stripped of the Zur En Arrh costume, and put in a normal costume, Joker was in the room then as well.

I think the Joker just doesn't give a shit. If he really wanted to get the Bruce, he would. But where is the fun in that?

Was there ever a reason given on how the villains all know Nightwing was the first Robin

Yeah, that was weird. I have no problem with the rogues gallery figuring out he used to be Robin, but common street criminals should be like, "Who the hell is that?" "Fuck if I know."

No, see, that makes sense to me. The criminal world is actually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the generalities of the Bat-family. I mean, they knew Batman died when it didn't make sense that they would.

Also, in Nightwing: Year One, Nightwing told Gordon (in blatant earshot of other members of the GCPD) that he was the former Robin. So if the GCPD knows that Nightwing was Robin, then all it would take is one officer leaking that info out to the criminal underworld. (and considering the oft-corrupt nature of the GCPD, that's almost a certainty)

And hey, maybe Dick wanted the crime world to know he was Robin; it probably helped his initial reputation as a starting hero to have some pre-existing street cred.

I don't think one would gain street cred by letting the criminal underworld know you used to be the boy who wore hot-pants around a leather-clad masked-man. :D

You would if you were the boy who wore hot-pants around a leather-clad masked-man for a decade and got away with it.

Guest TFG1Mike

Finished watching this for the second time. Enjoyed it throughly. Also watched the Jonah Hex short. It was good, although I keep visioning 2004 Punisher in the battle scene. Then again Thomas Jane voices this version of Jonah. Someone said that they could hear Bender in the Joker, I can't.

Guest TFG1Mike

Jane voiced the main character 'Colton White' in the western game "Gun", too. I heard that more, but it didn't bother me.

yeah I'm not complaining, but I've only seen Jane in Punisher 2004... still very good short. I'd watch a full length film with that character.

Jane voiced the main character 'Colton White' in the western game "Gun", too. I heard that more, but it didn't bother me.

yeah I'm not complaining, but I've only seen Jane in Punisher 2004... still very good short. I'd watch a full length film with that character.

No, Mike, I'm agreeing with you. Thomas Jane kicks ass.

Given the quality of that Jonah Hex short its clear that there are people who know how to use him on screen. So why the fudge was the film so wildly different?

Because a straight western is impossible to sell right now.

A fact that annoys me no end since the complexities of the Western genre can be properly explored by the right film maker. Just imagine if Nolan made one, what he could do with Monument Valley.