Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

Superman-The Dark Side: This three prestige format collection looks at Kal-El's rocket landing on Apokolips rather than earth. Kieron Dwyer's art is the best part of it,  because they story feels like it's twice as long as it should be. 

The Children of Salamanca 3: a jumbled and far too wordy/busy mess of an end to a series that was beautifully told in its first two volumes.

Comics: 50
Trades: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Graphic Novels: 1

edit: the paragraph spacing on these new forums is fucking killing me.

Edited by Dread

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #0: A solid zero issue, in that it serves as a bridge between "Green with Evil" and the upcoming comic series, which is billed as Green Ranger: Year One. The characters are all there, the dialog is familiar without being parody, and there are some funny visual moments. The Bulk and Skull backup feels like a Jughead comic, which is perfect for the characters. And the second backup is nothing more than a quick fight with Goldar, but it's so pretty. 

Comics: 14

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that, though he's only in two or three panels, Finster actually looks creepy. He has a bit of a crazed mad scientist look about him.

I read the preview last night. I like how they're written to be more down-to-Earth and not the squeaky-clean characters they seriously were in the tv show. Also, Kyle Higgins is about my age, so the tone's perfected by someone who was there during the PR heights.

My friend Josh suggested that every time there's a fight scene the comic should just switch to scenes from a Sentai manga.

There's a moment where Tommy really messes up, nearly costing people their lives. As a result, Jason, rightly, reams him a new one. Then Zordon tells them both to chill. That's the kind of stuff I don't remember being in the show, but I'm so very glad to see here.

I love your friend's idea! If they ever do an MMPR Annual, that would be a fun dream-sequence story for Bulk or Skull.

We The Dead #1-3: Counting these as GNs because they're all 50 plus pages and are basically eurocomics. Igor Kordey is sure paying homage to Richard Corben here. Holy shit. Didn't know he had it in him.

Last Born #1-4: the first issue idea is really cool. The second idea they go with is pretty cool too, but they don't make a lick of fucking sense when combined.

Mayday #1-3: I love this. A disgraced pathetic director and a black transexual take on a twisted Hollywood sex/death cult. Amazing. I want more.

The Disciples #1-4: Steve Niles, how the mighty have fallen. This story is boring as hell. The art's cool.

Outer Hod #1-5: some wicked Egyptian Lovecraft homage with some Mignola-ish art. I dig it completely.

Solar Man of the Atom vol 1: from the Dynamite run. Weird that they basically just went with a Firestorm pastiche when Firestorm was basically just a Solar Man of the Atom ripoff in the first place with the added idea of combining a ghost sidekick. I liked it enough though.

Comics: 66
Trades: 3

Graphic Novels: 4

Omnibuses:

I've been inconsistent in reading Batman and Robin Eternal from issue to issue, so about an hour ago I went back and read everything up to the current #15.

It's an odd animal. I think the mystery is sufficiently paced and parted out. I like the splitting of Dick, Cass and Harper Row and Jason and Tim as it keeps the plot moving without too many characters running around drawing attention. Mostly, the biggest draw is to see these characters together. This was regular in the days of pre-new 52, so I'm appreciating the rarity now when the Bat-Family routinely splits up for whatever reason. I like Dick sheparding over the new kids.

The antagonist Mother is somewhat interesting, but the world building of her deal I find stupid. The whole "Nursery" and taking in kids to kill. The new origin of Cassandra Cain is somewhat kept familiar in that she reads in body language and was trained by David Cain, but all of the intriguing nuance and humanity is stripped from it. Cain's a mook for this Mother who has no discernible character other than to please her. Honestly this whole plot seems to function as a way for Dick and the other partners to not trust Batman...AGAIN. Which is seriously like the third or fourth time this has happened in the new 52. Death of the Family was entirely based on this premise, and now we're doing it again. I don't know what's worse, the unpleasantness of it or the unoriginality.

Characterization is a mixed bag as well. Dick's okay, he's kind of hard to screw up. Most of the others are really two-dimensional. This is some of the most on-the-nose, face-punchingly subtle Jason Todd writing I've seen yet. Every line of dialogue is him gloating at how much of a bad boy he is, wanting to go to bars and calling Tim "nerd". S'like, mother fucker you were BOTH trained by Batman as Robin, there's no high school hierarchy when you're only in one class with one professor.  Harper Row also steals shit you guys. In case you forget, she'll be happy to remind you.

Cassandra's alright but I'm wary on how they're presenting her in the context of this story. She's less of a character and more of a story crutch. With this being her first story, she's given a lot more screen time than she initially did when she first appeared in No Man's Land, but it's less interesting. Still, it's better having her here than not. It's also much closer on point than Convergence.

Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #1: Writer Tom Taylor does a good job giving some of the Lanterns little character moments, especially Guy. I'm also curious as to who the villains are, as well as their motivations. Are they trying to bring about the end of this dying universe, are they trying to save it, or do they want to invade our universe? Art wise, Ethan Van Sciver's pencils are nice to see; the expressions he gives characters are spot-on, and his big action is exciting. I love the designs of the giant heroes, as well.

Comics: 15

Gotham Academy 14: Yearbook issue, which is basicaly what I'm 99% sure is a tryout for new artists for the series, and a bunch of small stories. Of all the artists this issue, Dustin Nguyen would be the best fit, I think.

The Mighty Thor 3: The Thor/Loki dynamic has been at the heart of a lot of the Asgard stuff, so it's super neat to see how Jane and Loki play it out here. However, as well written as this is, I'm way more interested in Freyja standing trial in front of the Dickfather next issue, and how Jane might play into that. 

Injection 6: I remember Ellis mentioning he was going a bit Hannibal with this arc, and yuuuuup, that's certainly a thing. Beautiful art by Declan and Jordie. Can't remember if this was written before or after his big neurological event, tbh. 

New Romancer 2: My guy gave me this for half off. It's got a neat hook, but I don't know if this has the sticking power for anything more than the trade for me. LIke, the art's neat, I can't tell where the shit the story's going. 

Secret Wars 9: So essentially they created a thing here where we have some prime opportunities for photoshoppers to create a new series of Marvel hostess ads. They should go for it. Hickman writing Doom as metal as fuck here, and while we get a nice guide to attempt to explain what the hell happened (they probably could've gotten another issue out of this but I don't know if they should've), there's still a bit of handwaving going on. But those last few pages?

"Everything lives."

That hit hard, and you can tell it's what Hickman's been building to for a few years now. Also Hickman went and deleted all of his tweets and I'm kind of concerned about him can someone go make sure he's okay

Insexts 2: Alright, we've got the real start to the plot here, first issue was just a way to reel you in. Still lots of gratuitous nudity in the way I appreciate, some really vicious ladies, and it's all very pretty. Good job ladies, I am here for this. 

This Damned Band 6: This probably should've been cut down to a 4 or 5 issue mini, there was a fair bit of bloat to this. That said, I think this is gonna read way better on the trade, and it's a good ending to the series. 

Scarlet Witch 2: MARCO FUCKIN' RUDY. Oh and story apparently, tbh I wasn't paying that much attention to it. 

No Mercy 6: So, uhm, my Instagram handle just appeared in a comic. oO Also, shit gets even crazier and darker, in the best kind of way. God fuckin' bless, DeCampi. 

Lazarus 21: So we apparently got to the twist of the story with Forever, which appears to be clones! They could've severely cut down this arc and done way better for it, I think. 

The Death Defying Dr. Mirage: Second Lives 2: I have a sneaking feeling that this is probably going to read better on the trade, but I think I kind of have an idea of what's going on? Maybe? We come back to characters from the last run, and the mysteries continue to deepen.

Single Issues: 20
TPBs: 2

Edited by Venneh

Bombshells 15-24: Technically read most of these last year, so this is catchup. Swtich up between several artists and stories, most of them only getting an issue or two at a time, with the exception of the Batgirls arc, which is just amazing. Basically, takes the things that were laid out for the first few months of stories, and finally starts to get deeper into the AU, and how things are working. And there's some just straight up fun moments - a "swamp thing" protecting Supergirl and Stargirl, Huntress showing up as the leader of a Nazi youth rebellion leading a swing band, Catwoman and Luthor making passes at Kate, and Amanda Waller getting to be Amanda Waller. Dropping buying this weekly for now, but I'm looking forward to getting back into this soon. 

All My Darling Daughters: Early Fumie Yoshinaga work. Five short stories about various women, and their relationships with their mothers and other people. The second story is probably the weakest, and the only one centered from a man's pov. But the rest is pretty awesome, if a bit out there (and then she became a nun the end is a legit ending to one of them). Some cases of same face with later protagonists in her yaoi manga, too. 

TPBs/Collections: 3
Digital First Issues: 10

Edited by Venneh

The Private Eye vol 1: Marcos Martin's storytelling and action are great. I really don't like his figure work. The less said about the story here the better. Not around for volume 2.

Nightwing-Old Friends, New Enemies: These are collected from the Nightwing/Speedy stories from Action Comics Weekly and they're pure garbage.

Kickers Inc. #1-12: Ron Frenz on art in the first few issues is a blast, but man, was this out of fucking touch or what? A football team of do-gooders on the side. One of them is scientifically enhanced and worried about cheating in the game. Other than meeting DP 7 this has fuck all to do with the New Universe books. Not a high point. Better than Nightmask, but it doesn't take much.

Comics: 78
Trades: 5

Omnibuses:

Spider-Man & The New Warriors: The Hero Killers - Collects the 92 Spidey & New Warriors annuals.  Pretty much in line with the Spider Titles at the time.  One thing I will give this trade is that they included all the back-up material.  Granted, they are back-ups, but it is nice to see.

Long Walk to Valhalla - Got this from the library because I had to kill time while getting an oil change.  This was just wonderful.  Maybe I don't get everything that is happening here, but it doesn't matter.  Probably the best thing I have read in a long while.  Surprised the hell out me.

And now we are back...

TMNT Prequels - Simple enough prequels.  Would have worked better with one consistent creative team.

TMNT Adaptation - So very bad, but in a 'made me laugh' kinda way.

Comics: 6
Trade Paperbacks: 1 (4)

Spider-Man & The New Warriors: The Hero Killers - Collects the 92 Spidey & New Warriors annuals.  Pretty much in line with the Spider Titles at the time.  One thing I will give this trade is that they included all the back-up material.  Granted, they are back-ups, but it is nice to see.

Nice. Never knew that was even in trade.Rare to get any of those smaller crossover annual arcs in trade form these days. I NEED to get that New Warriors omnibus. Was just thinking, even before you posted this, that how good those first 26 issues are.

All-New Wolverine #3,4: This is really fun. One character I've never really gotten. I prefer her without Angel, at least in her book. The sisters storyline is pretty great. Throw in Taskmaster and Dr. Strange being far more tolerable than he is in his own book and you've got a winner.

All-New X-Men #3: Lost a little steam here. It's a weird issue. It feels like they're trying to make it seem like a lot's happening when it's fine to simply let your characters breathe once in a while. The worst of the three so far, but still better than most of what Marvel's got or the X-Men have had for ages.

All-New All-Different Avengers #3: Best issue yet. I'm sold on this. Nice to see the team actually being a team. I don't like Ms. Marvel and she's barely in this one, so there's that.

Archie #5: Hands down, one of the best comics being published today. Smart, funny, engaging and all ages. Bought the collector's edition with the first three issues for Cade for his birthday and him, Davin AND Megan all liked it too. That's a first in this house.

Batman & Robin Eternal #13-15: Some of the best issues of the already good run. A great moment between Batman and Cassandra here. I've never gotten her as a character since this run. 

Postal vol 2: So great. Going in places I didn't think it would.

Spread vol 2: grotesque and fun. I love this series.

Morning Glories vol 9: I think I'm officially out. 9 trades in and no hint to the end in sight. I guess I know what people who watched more than three seasons of Lost feel like.

Daredevil: The Autobiography of Matt Murdock: an incredible end. I wish it was longer. I wish the run was longer too. This goes down for me as the definitive DD run. That says a whole fuck of a lot too.

Comics: 86
Trades: 9

Omnibuses:

Vader Down
Vader Down #1, Darth Vader #13-15, Star Wars #13-14:
 A very fun, exciting six-issue crossover which looks at what / who one is willing to sacrifice to achieve their ultimate goals. The familiar faces sound, act, and look exactly as they should without venturing into parody, and the cliffhanger spells major changes for both the Darth Vader and Star Wars comics. The art wows on every page, especially the Vader Down one-shot, and the colors perfectly capture the harshness of the world on which the Rebels are making their stand. All this said, the back half of the series -- the final three issues -- could have been condensed to two issues, or even a 30- to 40-page Vader Down #2 bookend.  

Comics: 21

All-New Wolverine #3,4: This is really fun. One character I've never really gotten. I prefer her without Angel, at least in her book. The sisters storyline is pretty great. Throw in Taskmaster and Dr. Strange being far more tolerable than he is in his own book and you've got a winner.

[ ... ]

Archie #5: Hands down, one of the best comics being published today. Smart, funny, engaging and all ages. Bought the collector's edition with the first three issues for Cade for his birthday and him, Davin AND Megan all liked it too. That's a first in this house.

Agreed, 100%. If you like what Tom Taylor is doing on All-New Wolverine, give Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #1 a look.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (Mini-Series) - Adaptations of the first five episodes of the cartoon.  I choose to listened to the cassette along with the books.  That was a mistake.  70 minutes with horrible voice actors.  Not going to do that again.

Comics: 9
Trade Paperbacks: 1 (4)

The Borgias: Manara and Jodorowsky do historical fiction. It's the Borgias, it's a match made in goddamn heaven. Beautiful art, outlandish happenings as you'd expect, a hell of a read. 

Divinity: The idea behind this isn't exactly new, but it's a fun, pretty comic, I'll look forward to seeing what the sequel mini looks like when it comes out later this year. 

Umbral vol 1: Fantasy bit from Johnston and Christopher Mittens, who it turns out is a similar Chicago living Wisconsin expat. This sold abysmally when it was coming out, and I honestly think that it just hit the wrong end of the Game of Thrones craze. The art is gorgeous, and there are some real solid ideas at the core of this. You can probably find it for $5 easy, and for that, it's definitely worth picking up and giving it a read. 

TPBs/Collections: 6
Digital First Issues: 10

Edited by Venneh

Batman: The Demon Laughs - Found the 100-page spectacular for a dollar, after years of trying to find it. The story is simultaneously kinda cool and goofy, with Ra's Al Ghul recruiting the Joker. It went the way a Joker story involving another villain seems to go, in that the Joker helps out Batman in some way. It's also a typical Ra's story of trying to rid the Earth of 95% of its population. Dixon does well with the characters though, so I can forgive the plot. Jim Aparo's art is enhanced by John Cebollero and Noelle Giddings. It's recognizably Aparo but with an added layer of flash to it. Ra's doesn't look so good, though, and I wonder if that's Aparo or Cebollero who can't get him right. 

Sandman: Dream Hunters - The comic adaptation by P. Craig Russell. The plot is a bit thin, but I like seeing a Sandman story through a Japanese viewpoint. (that may or may not be real) Russell's art is fantastic, and makes me wish he got to do more of the main series.

A-Force #1 - Decent issue with some nice art by Molina. I'll probably stick around.

ANAD Avengers #3 - Nice to see the team finally be a team. Looking forward to it more now. Kubert's art is good, but not up to par.

Spider-Gwen #4 - Continues to be my second favorite comic. Best place to get my Spidey fix, considering what Peter's evolved into now. 

Star Wars Darth Vader #15 - Vader Down is the best thing to come out of the Marvel Star Wars so far. I agree with Mike though, that the last few parts could've been condensed to Vader Down #2.

The Ultimates #3 - Can't think of any other way to say "I really love this comic" but I still have to mention it.

Web Warriors #3 - An empty calorie book, but still plenty of fun. 

Edited by Davedevil

Batman Europa #3: It's really pretty. There is a solid element of Batman and Joker working together here, but it's VERY LIGHT. Not a lot of story.

Batman/TMNT #2: VERY 90s. Fun, though.

Black Knight #3: there was more Uncanny Avengers in this one than I liked.

Captain America Sam Wilson #5: solid. Fun to see the new Falcon.

Dark Tales: a huge collection of Bernet's noir tales. It gets baudier the longer you read it. The man draws some sexy women, that's for sure..  The stories rage from tiny vignettes, to Tales From the Crypt to full-fleshed out graphic novels. He draws like Toth with zero Puritanism.

Comics: 90
Trades: 9

Omnibuses: 1

Robin War
Robin War #1-2, Grayson #15, Detective Comics #47, We Are Robin #7, Robin: Son of Batman #7: If I wanted to read a crossover with a nonsensical plot, horrific dialog, little to no character development, logic issues, and inconsistent artwork, I'd grab a stack of comics from the 1990s. At least they didn't know better back then. While reading We Are Robin #7, I literally said, "Aw fuck you," to the book. There's a scene where Batman (Jim Gordon) has to catch Dick Grayson during a botched jump. No. Nope. Nu-uh. Fuck that. 

The only saving grace is Grayson #15. Writing wise, there are some good moments which demonstrate the differences between Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian, but it's Mikel Janin's artwork which blew me away. Truly expressive faces and lively action.

Even though I previously recommended Robin War #1 (episode 833), skip the other five issues and grab Grayson.  

Comics: 27