The Flickchart Forum - join in!

slothian

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, You Know Who said:

Would Terry Gilliam's filmography (not including Holy Grail) be eligible or is he too problematic/unlikable?

Yes - insofar as I don't consider Gilliam to be problematic/unlikable unless I'm forgetting something major.

6 hours ago, slothian said:

Yes - insofar as I don't consider Gilliam to be problematic/unlikable unless I'm forgetting something major.

He's not Harvey Weinstein, Woody Allen, Mel Gibson, or Kevin Spacey, but he's problematic for at least the following reasons:

Spoiler

-Along with Weinstein, Allen, and others, he signed a petition in 2009 demanding the release of Roman Polanski after his arrest in Zurich that year.

-He called the #MeToo movement a witch hunt and Ellen Barkin accused him of doing something to her in an elevator.

-He blasted Black Panther not just for reasons similar to Coppola and Scorsese, but also for some pretty racist-sounding comments about Africa.

-He publicly endorsed Dave Chappelle's recent Netflix special.

I'd still love to join you for or even just listen to a Gilliam-themed episode, but I thought you should know beforehand.

1 hour ago, You Know Who said:

Hide contents

-He blasted Black Panther not just for reasons similar to Coppola and Scorsese, but also for some pretty racist-sounding comments about Africa.

“I hated ‘Black Panther.’ It makes me crazy. It gives young black kids the idea that this is something to believe in. But I just I hated that movie, partly because the media were going on about the importance of bulls—.”

Gave Ben Shapiro a run for his money, but that last bolded part made me laugh out loud.

12 hours ago, You Know Who said:

He's not Harvey Weinstein, Woody Allen, Mel Gibson, or Kevin Spacey, but he's problematic for at least the following reasons:

Hide contents

-Along with Weinstein, Allen, and others, he signed a petition in 2009 demanding the release of Roman Polanski after his arrest in Zurich that year.

-He called the #MeToo movement a witch hunt and Ellen Barkin accused him of doing something to her in an elevator.

-He publicly endorsed Dave Chappelle's recent Netflix special.

I'd still love to join you for or even just listen to a Gilliam-themed episode, but I thought you should know beforehand.

All topics that are probably more for Donovan's QWDHA cast, but none of those would scream "Nope, definitely not!" if Gibson is the bar for HAA. In brief:

• There's a weird amount of celebrities who have either been fine with working with Polanski since 1977, or even vocal supporters of him. I don't agree with them, but it's hardly just the wrong'uns of Weinstein and Allen. Of course....
  • ....characterising #MeToo as a witch hunt is obviously less than ideal. The context of the interview is him being tired of being blamed for things as an elderly white straight man - to which the response "OK Boomer" exists, and which I also apply to John Cleese (even though the Pythons are technically the generation before). Dunno about the Ellen Barkin comment.
  • Not reading too much into the MCU/Black Panther comments. Again, it isn't a film with him as a target audience member, as a film-maker he's irritated by the success of blockbusters, and he's espoused less-than-researched comments about a film he doesn't like. I'm not sure the comments were set out to be espousing racist views.
  • I'm aware of the Chappelle special without having seen it, and therefore don't feel able to comment on it without the context of whatever comments he made. Unless it's a call to arms against the trans community, then elderly comedian endorses a comedy special isn't significantly newsworthy.

And I don't want the above to come across as a blithe dismissal of any criticisim that can be levelled against Gilliam. That Christian is able to compile such a list shows that Gilliam is no Michael Palin (then again, who is?) but the fact I was completely unaware of them means that the controversy attached to him is relatively low-level, even though if proven, said controversy would amount to rape-apologism, anti-feminism, potential sexual assault (unproven), cultural xenophobia/racism and being opposed to trans rights. Which, when typed out, is pretty bad. At the same time, he doesn't have any actual scandals to his name and does a lot for charity (says Wikipedia).

So, he's not blacklisted from the Flickchart Forum, to answer your question.

I would agree with Ian's line of thinking, especially how he broke all that down. Not taking any of those point on Gilliam and dismissing them, but I'm also loathe to just write someone off because "they did things we don't like", because you can distinguish the point of a discussion between endorsement of a person and discussion of a work. I was listening to a podcast ripping apart The Departed last week, and I agreed with pretty much everything but the hosts were also more than happy to just throw out "Oh, we don't like Leo because he dates college aged women, and didn't Jack Nicholson host a Roman Polanski party? And Matt Damon dismissed racism that one time", that kind of behavior is plainly unhelpful, because it isn't saying much beyond "we disapprove of these things" in a broad way that betrays a disinterest of nuance.

Not to bury the lead for the next POYW podcast, but Christian and I don't spend every sentence going "Well this thing in Peter Pan is pretty interesting, but the movie did a racism. And this gave me a reaction...but racism". We don't dismiss the film out of hand...but best believe we get into the racism at the same time because my God, how could we not. 

I will say that I appreciate @Donomark confirming that my breakdown was even-handed, given what I had to break down, and it would be all so easy for me to go "ah, he's a Python - give him a break!" which would not be conducive to an actual discussion as to Gilliam's views.

All too often, discourse gets drowned out with "Person A said ___ which must mean that they believe ____". Usually there's a lot more nuance to the argument, which naturally gets lost on platforms like Twitter. Naturally, I don't think Christian listed those examples in bad faith or to state that they are reasons to "cancel" Gilliam - I know Christian well enough through podcasting to know that, and he added that caveat at the end of his post that it was a heads up of what was out there. And there's no way you can discuss Disney's Peter Pan WITHOUT bringing race into it, because hot damn....

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, You Know Who said:

Would characters like Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Frankenstein's Monster, or Dracula be eligible for Flickchart Forum episodes (granted, you'd still have a lot to cover even if shaved the latter two down to English-language adaptations from key studios)?

Yes, they would. But as you acknowledge, that would be quite the time commitment!

• 9 months later...

How about a multipart Steven Spielberg FF?

Era 1: 1971-1989

• Duel (theatrical cut)
  • The Sugarland Express
  • Jaws
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • ET the Extra-Terrestrial
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • The Color Purple
  • Empire of the Sun
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Always

Era 2: 1990-2009

• Hook
  • Jurassic Park
  • Schindler's List
  • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  • Amistad
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • AI Artificial Intelligence
  • Minority Report
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal
  • War of the Worlds
  • Munich
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Era 3: 2010-2023

• The Adventures of Tintin
  • War Horse
  • Lincoln
  • Bridge of Spies
  • The BFG
  • The Post
  • Ready Player One
  • West Side Story
  • The Fabelmans

Then, a fourth part, where the top 10 movies are re-ranked for a definitive list.

I've left off Twilight Zone: The Movie because he only directed a segment, and Poltergeist because his involvement is somewhat controversial and as clear as mud.

1 hour ago, Missy said:

How about a multipart Steven Spielberg FF?

Era 1: 1971-1989

• Duel (theatrical cut)
  • The Sugarland Express
  • Jaws
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • ET the Extra-Terrestrial
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • The Color Purple
  • Empire of the Sun
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Always

Era 2: 1990-2009

• Hook
  • Jurassic Park
  • Schindler's List
  • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  • Amistad
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • AI Artificial Intelligence
  • Minority Report
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal
  • War of the Worlds
  • Munich
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Era 3: 2010-2023

• The Adventures of Tintin
  • War Horse
  • Lincoln
  • Bridge of Spies
  • The BFG
  • The Post
  • Ready Player One
  • West Side Story
  • The Fabelmans

Then, a fourth part, where the top 10 movies are re-ranked for a definitive list.

I've left off Twilight Zone: The Movie because he only directed a segment, and Poltergeist because his involvement is somewhat controversial and as clear as mud.

Seconded (and sign me up!)