Teen Titans: Year One #1

RSS

If you've read my review, you know I did my best to beat around the spoiler bush. That said, if you have no inclination to read the issue but want to know what all the fuss is about, scroll down.

(This is spoiler space.)

batman-did-what-01.jpg

batman-did-what-02.jpg

batman-did-what-03.jpg

As I said in the review: imagine reading that and not knowing Batman is under mind control! Sure, someone could make the claim that hitting Robin is beyond anything Batman would normally do, but he's been portrayed so erratically over the years, who's to say what's normal for the character?

And I concede the fact that this is a major cliffhanger, but without knowing he's being controlled, I don't think I'd come back for a second issue. Batman backhanding a pre-teen Robin is too harsh. Had a single hint been dropped, fine. However, there's nothing, and one can only assume that's because this is being written for the trade.

While the scene in question is a little jarring, i think that the fact that it happens at all should be a clue that something is wrong. But if it isn't than this is a huge oversight on the writer/editorial side of things and definetly has no place in a Batman book of any kind especially one like this that seems to be aimed at children. All that aside though, i am still looking foward to reading this series and i have already ordered every issue solicited so far. I would be happy to review future issues for you guys since it appears that Mike and Des atleast won't be picking anymore of this series up.

Now that I know where this is headed, I can see it making sense in collected form. But as a single issue, it's greatly flawed. Will I get future issues? No. Will I get the trade? Maybe.

As it pertains to the scene being a clue, in my review I said as much. However, this goes back to Batman's inconsistency throughout the years. Sometimes it's hard to tell just how far he'll go. Recently he's been portrayed as both a smiling father to Tim, and as the gruff "leave your date now" guy. There's always been a certain amount of mental abuse levied upon the Robins and considering how dark comics have become, I wouldn't put it past DC to inject physical abuse into the Batman / Robin relationship.

After reading the book again I for some reason have a feeling that this will turn out to be Robin telling an over the top story of him and Bats to the other youngsters some time in the future, maybe his bragging of this then perhaps the story will change to have him getting one over on Batman. Leading to him being more respected by the others, as a reason to why he takes the leadership role as the others are impressed/scared of him and what happened with Batman in his story. Well I hope so anyway otherwise reading that part is really weird to read

Chances are this will lead to Robin heading to Wally's house. There they'll discuss how oddly Batman's been acting. Wally will then mentioned that Uncle Barry is also being a bit of a prick (assuming we see that in the second issue). They'll then realize that something's fishy, and will start their own team-up / investigation. After another issue or two (and after Wonder Girl, Aqualad and Speedy join) we'll see how this all ties into the original Teen Titans #53 and their fight with The Antithesis.

But again I say, if you do not know about The Antithesis, none of what we saw here makes sense!

As it pertains to the scene being a clue, in my review I said as much. However, this goes back to Batman's inconsistency throughout the years. Sometimes it's hard to tell just how far he'll go. Recently he's been portrayed as both a smiling father to Tim, and as the gruff "leave your date now" guy. There's always been a certain amount of mental abuse levied upon the Robins and considering how dark comics have become, I wouldn't put it past DC to inject physical abuse into the Batman / Robin relationship.

I think that's taking it too far. Having one of your flagship "hero" characters strike a child would be taking them to a far too irredeemable place. Mike, I have to say i am actually kind of bummed that you didn't dig this book. There aren't that many mainstream superhero books that i was looking foward to more than this series and it seems like it's generally been well recieved elsewhere, but i would be lying if i said that most of your criticisms sound like things that wouldn't irk me as well. I still have to wait until the end of the month to read my copy but until then there's nothing else i can really say about it.

When you read the issue (or the pages above), forget everything I said about the original Teen Titans #53. Put all of that out of your head, and give me your honest reaction to Batman backhanding Robin. When I said I recoiled in a moment of disgust, I meant it. It's utterly brutal, and until they explain what's really going on or you research it on your own, we're supposed to think that Batman struck Robin.

It was totally wrong but everything else in the book was done right so on the basis that Bat's might be done here I'll still buy the book.

Its a pretty harsh retelling of the time when Robin and Batman split. It should have been Robin walking out on Bat's for using harsh methods, not Batman beating up a child and dumping them out on the street.