New Kevin Smith Mini-Series Announced

tglancy

As was announced by special panel guest Kevin Smith himself at today’s DC Nation panel at San Diego Comic-Con, the filmmaker and occasional comic book writer will be coming to DC Comics starting in November.

The three issue miniseries will re-introduce the unique villain (and flashback to English class), Onomatopoeia, who first saw life in a two-part story in Smith’s Green Arrow run (issues #12-#13). The character is largely a mystery, and has had only very minor appearances since Smith’s original story. What is known about Onomatopoeia could fill a thimble – he can perfectly imitate the sounds around him, may have some super-human abilities, rarely, if ever speaks, and is deadly with many kinds of weapons. He nearly killed Connor Hawke during his first appearance.

As for the character’s origins, Smith related the idea behind the character in a 2007 interview, saying: “When I did Green Arrow, I went with Onomatopoeia for a villain, just because I loved that word, and it kind of formed the character inasmuch as he would say sounds out loud. It only kind of works – I think – on a comic book page because if you have a gun going off, they usually write BLAM! and then you can have, you know, the character saying “BLAM!” in a word balloon, but like if you tried to do that cinematically you can’t really rock it. A gun in a film sounds completely different. It doesn’t read as BLAM! and so to have a dude say BLAM! after a true gunshot, all these people would be like ‘he’s just retarded’. I think it works great in print and on a comic book page. I don’t think that character would translate very well outside of that.”

While the announcement of the three issue miniseries due to start in November may have caused some in attendance to roll their eyes, given the notorious lateness (and unfinished nature) of some of Smith’s previous comic work, Didio told Newsarama: “The best part of it all - we have scripts in hand! The story’s already being drawn by Kevin’s feature collaborator, Walter.

“We never really used the character after Green Arrow, because we felt it was so unique to Kevin,” DiDio continued. “So when he called and said he wanted to do a story that featured Batman and Onomatopoeia, we couldn’t resist but to go ahead with this. It’s a really good Batman story, and will be coming out at a time when people’s attention will really be focused on the character.”

Can't wait for the first issue to come out and for 2 and 3 to NEVER come out. Should be good.

Post-One Year Later DC has been hit with some pretty nasty delays, resulting in much criticism. Knowing Smith's track record, I believe them when they say all of the scripts are in, because they can't suffer another high-profile disaster at the moment.

Post-One Year Later DC has been hit with some pretty nasty delays, resulting in much criticism. Knowing Smith's track record, I believe them when they say all of the scripts are in, because they can't suffer another high-profile disaster at the moment.

Not any nastier than Marvel. But this is a weird move regardless.

Marvel has suffered a lot of delays in the last few years (Civil War being the biggest blunder), but the way DC has handled their delays has been (in my opinion) much worse. Fill-in issues in the middle of storylines and finishing stories months later in annuals doesn't sit right with me.

Marvel has suffered a lot of delays in the last few years (Civil War being the biggest blunder), but the way DC has handled their delays has been (in my opinion) much worse. Fill-in issues in the middle of storylines and finishing stories months later in annuals doesn't sit right with me.

I've seen too many shitty rush jobs out of Marvel this past year to let that bother me.

Wonder Woman is the only thing I can come up with that had any sort of impact as far as delays. That has more to do with hiring Hollywood assholes instead of comic writers than anything else which is just as much Marvel's fault as it is DC's. In fact, Marvel started all of that with the overrated man in question here...

Don't forget the Geoff Johns / Richard Donner / Adam Kubert Action Comics mess. The first part of "Last Son" (Action Comics #844) has a cover date of December 2006, and the last chapter of the five-part story (Action Comics Annual #11) has a cover date of July 2008.

See, I'm looking at this from the point of view of someone who orders his comic books online. Since those orders are placed two months ahead of time, I'm trusting the solicitations will be accurate once the book is in my hands. When they're not, it's a case of bait and switch, and I'm potentially stuck with a comic I didn't want. Thankfully DCBS offers their customers the option to cancel an issue when that happens, but I'm not sure all online services do that.

Delays are huge problem with both of the big 2 companies (and even some of the smaller ones), so it's not fair to say one is worse than the other. For every Last Son or Wonder Woman there's a Whedon Runaways or Astonishing X-Men on the other side, it's a moot point.

For me personally, i am really looking foward to this mini-series and am very happy to see Kevin Smith come back to comics.

I think that Smithis a much more talented script-writer than a director and I've always really liked his comics based work. His relaunches of Daredevil & Green Arrow set those characters up to become two of my all-time favorites. I'm extremely psyched that Onomatopoeia is returning, he was a absolutly daft concept made great in execution. This should be great.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked this up when getting Nightwing and detective, and well it was good, it started off slow, but got better and Onomatopeia is a really funny character and I laughed a few times while reading this.

One gripe though

Joker is shown to be a prostitute for money, he openly offers Onomatopeia to have sex with him for the money he was going to give him. Joker then says tetch wanted him to do it for years.

Except for that, I liked this, art was alright, fun issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...