Astonishing X-Men #4

Missy

Marvel.com is currently running a poll asking readers who will make their surprise return in the pages of Astonishing X-Men #4. They list Phoenix, Magneto, Longshot, and Psylocke as the choices. However, I've added Gambit, Colossus, Dazzler, X23 (NYX), and Nocturne (Exiles) to the list.

Colossus: Long dead (for comics anyways) and a fan favorite.

Dazzler: If they're listing Longshot, I'm putting her on here.

Gambit: Was (is?) blind, but will be staring in a brand new ongoing very soon.

Longshot: ... I have no idea what to say.

Magneto: Already in Excalibur, so this wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Nocturne: Nightcrawler's daughter from Exiles will be making her way into the regular Marvel Universe soon.

Phoenix: Marvel has already stated that she will make her return early next year.

Psylocke: Long dead (for comics anyways) and a fan favorite.

X23: Wolverine's supposed daughter who will be crossing paths with the X-Men very soon.

Colossus- Like you said he is a fan favorite. PLus comic book characters have the uncanny ability to return from the dead when it suits the writers. Plus I've read rumors that say Colossus is going to be featured more in X3, so it wouldn't surprise me if they try to cash in on that starting with the comic before he is in the movie. That way new readers will be introduced to him before seeing the movie.

Didn't Sinister offer Nightcrawler a via containing Colossus's DNA a while back? so maybe thats how they will explain him returning. My bet is Nocturne cause they wrote her out of the exiles and she then went away with someone she knew, instead of going to the x-men. And when did Gambit go blind?

Gambit was blind? Huh? Yoda, explain, cause I know you'll know all about it.

I think one of his cards blew up in his face when he went on a mission with the X-men in China to find Xorn. I think it was in X-treme Xmen where him and Rogue temporarily lost their powers, and only recently they got them back.

Back to topic, I'm hoping that Psylocke or Colossus comes back. Psylocke to screw up Cyclops' love life even more, or Colossus because like cvskin said he's a fan favorite.

Whatever happened to dead being dead?

Seriously, fuck this. One of the best ideas they had in a long time was that recentplan of 'Dead means dead.' I don't want to see them pulling some Hulk Hogan retirement deal, and coming back after six issues. It messes up the continuity, and I find it disrespectful towards the readers. Plus, it lessens the impact of the death.

And I will comment soon on Chris Claremont attempting to completely re-write everything Grant Morrison did. Seriously, what happened there? Was there an executive decision to fuck up all the progressive things Morrison brought to the formula?

I think one of his cards blew up in his face

Whatever happened to mutants being invulnerable to their own powers?

Below are my comments on who I perceive to be the top two candidates.

Colossus: No way. His death meant too much to the Marvel Universe. To undo it would undermine his sacrifice.

Gambit: Personally, I think he's the best bet here. With his upcoming series, they need to get him back into a book to sort of advertise his return.

Since when was that established? IE Wolverine has claws - if he cuts himself, he ain't invulnerable to it. Scott shoots energy beams, which, if reflected, hit him too. Same kind of thing.

Gambit was charging a card, somebody shot it, and a fragment blew up in front of his eye. An explosion is an explosion is an explosion. I don't mind that. I do mind Magneto being back, and I do mind Phoenix coming back. Leave it for...say, five years, then do it. Bullshit and insulting to their readers to do this crap now.

Oh, and Gambit is currently in Uncanny X-Men (The Chuck Austen one), walking around going 'What's going on, I can't see!'

Since when was that established? IE Wolverine has claws - if he cuts himself, he ain't invulnerable to it. Scott shoots energy beams, which, if reflected, hit him too. Same kind of thing.

Gambit was charging a card, somebody shot it, and a fragment blew up in front of his eye. An explosion is an explosion is an explosion. I don't mind that. I do mind Magneto being back, and I do mind Phoenix coming back. Leave it for...say, five years, then do it. Bullshit and insulting to their readers to do this crap now.

Oh, and Gambit is currently in Uncanny X-Men (The Chuck Austen one), walking around going 'What's going on, I can't see!'

Nah but your examples aren't really true. Wolverine's adamantium claws aren't his mutation, so he wouldn't be immune to that. And doesn't the fact that Cyclops' eyelids aren't blown off by his beams prove he's invulnerable to them?

I can accept the Gambit blowing his own eyes up theory though. He didn't charge them, he blew something up and that caused the injury. (If that's what happened...I don't know.)

Gambit was charging a card, somebody shot it, and a fragment blew up in front of his eye. An explosion is an explosion is an explosion. I don't mind that.

It's been established that related mutants can't truly harm one another (i.e. Cyclops and Havoc), and I could swear I read somewhere that a mutant's power cannot be used to harm him/herself. Meaning, Scott couldn't look at his hand and blast it off -- it (the blast) would do nothing.

As for Gambit, I didn't realize someone shot the card. That's a different story then.

Wolverine's adamantium claws aren't his mutation, so he wouldn't be immune to that.

No, but his claws are. The adamantium was put in, but he had the claws first.

And doesn't the fact that Cyclops' eyelids aren't blown off by his beams prove he's invulnerable to them?

Not once they're unleashed. I know what you're saying though, and I'll explain in the next point.

I can accept the Gambit blowing his own eyes up theory though. He didn't charge them, he blew something up and that caused the injury. (If that's what happened...I don't know.)

He was charging a card, but a piece was shot off before he threw it. The rest, as normal, was reabsorbed by him, sine he never threw it. The other piece (the fragment that was shot off) had been charged, thrown accidentally, and blew up in his face.

If he hadn't thrown it, he would have reabsorbed it, in the same way that Scott's power doesn't become actual until it leaves his body - hence the lack of eyelids being blown off. However, once it's out of his body, it's energy, and has been unleashed, thus he can be hurt by it.

This theory covers everything except him and Alex being immune to each other.

It's been established that related mutants can't truly harm one another (i.e. Cyclops and Havoc),

Sabretooth and Wolverine?

As far as we know, they're not related. The only way they could be is if:

01. Mrs. Howlett was having an affair with Thomas Logan, and James was his son. (Which was implied in Origin.)

02. Dog, Thomas son, has become Sabertooth and changed his name to Victor Creed. And, as far as I know, that has not been revealed.

If that's the case, they're half-brothers. Otherwise, nothing.

They could still be cousins, no?

There could also be a child no one new about. A marital infidelity on Mr.Howlett's part, with a woman in town? Remember, in X2, they say the Mutant gene is on the father's side. (Not sure if the same holds true in the comics.)

They could still be cousins, no?

There could also be a child no one new about. A marital infidelity on Mr.Howlett's part, with a woman in town? Remember, in X2, they say the Mutant gene is on the father's side. (Not sure if the same holds true in the comics.)

Movie continuity and comic book continuity are two separate beasts. That's why the Joker has only been referred to as Jack Napier once in the comics. And it's not a coincidence that it appeared in Arkham Asylum, which was released the same year as Batman.

I've never read it, but it could have been mentioned somewhere.

See, this is the exact reason why Marvel had to tell Wolverine's origin. Because, as good as the films are, they're bound to add their own little bits that might go against continuity (RE: the Joker having killed Thomas and Martha Wayne).

See, this is the exact reason why Marvel had to tell Wolverine's origin. Because, as good as the films are, they're bound to add their own little bits that might go against continuity (RE: the Joker having killed Thomas and Martha Wayne).

To be honest, that's how it should have been, rather than what I've read as to why they were killed.

See, this is the exact reason why Marvel had to tell Wolverine's origin.  Because, as good as the films are, they're bound to add their own little bits that might go against continuity (RE: the Joker having killed Thomas and Martha Wayne).

To be honest, that's how it should have been, rather than what I've read as to why they were killed.

I completely disagree. Tying it all together is nice for a movie (where everything has to be wrapped up in 120 minutes or less) or a miniseries (where everything has to be wrapped up in six issues or less), but in the realm of ongoing comics and real life, random violence happens. The Waynes were killed because the crook wanted Martha's necklace. That's it. No other explinattion or need to tie it together.