Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

JackFetch

Kevin Eastman, creator of the 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' and current publisher of Heavy Metal confirmed for fans on his message boards that a new, live-action Ninja Turtles movie is in the works.

"Yes, it is true. Although the CGI film did well enough to warrent a sequel, there has been much talk between Imagi and Warners to do a better 're-invention' (newest Hollywood buzzword) of the TMNT's [sic], in a live action film," Eastman wrote, continuing, "like what was done with Batman.

"Back to basics, back to the origin and the intro of the Shredder, etc...there have been talks, trips to Northampton to talk to Mr Laird, and discussions with the original 'first' TMNT film director Steve Barron to come back and do it right--but no official word yet...will keep you posted."

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35392

Fans will recall that eariler in the week news went round the web that 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' creator Kevin Eastman said the new movie was to be live-action instead of CGI and would be a "back to the basics" re-invention, a la 'Batman Begins'.

Well, Steve Murphy, writer of many a 'Ninja Turtle' non-film project has a different take on things.

"...complete nonsense and entirely untrue [emphasis his]," is what Murphy writes of Eastman's comments on his blog The 5th Turtle. The writer does not elaborate beyond that.

Interestingly, the original posting at Eastman's 'Heavy Metal' message boards has been deleted.

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35447

So I have been thinking about this and I do not know if a live action movie is a great idea. Don't get me wrong, I adore the 3 live action movies, but I do not think that one could be pulled off today and look anything but fake. I am leaning toward just wanting another CGI movie as TMNT really surpassed my expectations.

Kevin Eastman's much-discussed rumor of a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles may have been quickly shot down last week, but that's not the end of this story.

TMNT co-creator and owner Peter Laird has confirmed to MTV News that he is close to a deal for a live-action/CGI hybrid "TMNT" feature film, and that he'd like to get "TMNT" voice actors Chris Evans and Sarah Michelle Gellar back..."but this time in the flesh."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7654

"As it stands now, there is no intention of doing another live-action film like the first three, with actors and stuntmen in actual Turtle suits, contrary to what was said by Kevin," Laird said. "We have pretty much decided that the next 'TMNT' movie should be what we’ve been calling a 'hybrid' — that is to say, live-action humans and sets combined with very realistic CGI Turtles (and possibly some other CGI characters)."

As far as Eastman's contention that the new movie would be a 'Batman Begins' style reboot?

"The storyline for this new 'hybrid' movie has not been settled on yet. We’re still batting some different ideas around," Laird told MTV. "The sky’s the limit. My preference would be a story which fits into TMNT movie continuity in some way. But nothing has been decided."

The villain may be the Shredder, but Laird said he's excited about creating some new villains. With the "hybrid" model in place he hopes to have flesh and blood actors playing April O'Neal and Casey Jones.

"I think Chris Evans and Sarah Michelle Gellar did wonderful work voicing the Casey and April characters in the recent CGI 'TMNT' movie, and I think it would be really cool if we could get them to reprise those roles, but this time 'in the flesh.' I think that might be the first time something like that has happened," Laird said.

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35508

I want to see Shredder back. There I said it. CGI is great for animals but still looks like ass when it comes to humans, so I think that's why they want to go that way.