Inside the TARDIS: The Middle (1975-1981)

RSS

The Fourth Doctor is the elephant in the room. His is the face non-fans of the show associate with the character (at least, up until the new series). He held onto the role for seven seasons, something no other actor has come close to doing. He was on the show so long, in fact, that he went through three producers, each of which had their own take on the Doctor. Never before or since would any actor play the Time Lord in a manner that varies so wildly. There were, in a manner of speaking, three Fourth Doctors. Building on the three previous incarnations, casting an impossible shadow over the next three, the central figure that dominated the classic series remains, to this day, impossible to ignore.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/articles/inside-the-tardis-02

Damn you, Toland. You've actually got me on Wiki looking up even more info this stuff now.

What I'd like to see after all of these are over is something like a ranking of all the Doctors one through ten. From what I can tell, the Fourth seems to be really popular, but I'd be curious to see if there were any that people weren't particularly a fan of.

Damn you, Toland. You've actually got me on Wiki looking up even more info this stuff now.

What I'd like to see after all of these are over is something like a ranking of all the Doctors one through ten. From what I can tell, the Fourth seems to be really popular, but I'd be curious to see if there were any that people weren't particularly a fan of.

I think you'll start to see those less popular doctors in the 3rd installment.

Fascinating stuff Dan, I'd really like to see a list of recommended stories if you've got some.

Thanks, guys.

Any list I gave would be purely subjective. Stavros is right, though, in that tomorrow's column will go over some of the Doctors that are less, shall we say, universally beloved. My personal list, though, would go 4, 10, 9, 5, 2, 6, 8, 7, 1, 3. Which is not to say I don't like Hartnell or Pertwee; I'm just less familiar with their eras.

I'd really like to see a list of recommended stories if you've got some.

I would personally recommend Talons of Weng-Chiang, Pyramids of Mars, or Robots of Death for early Baker; City of Death or Androids of Tara (that's the story that hooked me personally) for goofy, Williams-era Baker; and Leisure Hive, Keeper of Traken and Logopolis for JNT-era "Hey, I'm in a purple suit" Baker. All of these are on DVD. If you only watch one, watch Talons.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

My personal list goes- 4, 9, 10, 3, 5, 6, 1, 2, 8, 7.

I've seen at least a little of all of them, although the film performances by Peter Cushing in the role definitely informs my perception of the first Doctor.

I've really seen quite a bit of Who due to BBC2 showing it Sunday lunchtimes throughout my childhood, but only a few older stories stick in my mind, such a Spearhead from Space, The Silurians and the Caves of Androzani.

I've seen at least a little of all of them, although the film performances by Peter Cushing in the role definitely informs my perception of the first Doctor.

I haven't seen the Cushing films in quite some time, but I do remember them as being a lot of fun.