Dawn of the Geeks, part one

RSS

In the pages of one of the greatest novels ever written, James Joyce wrote: "Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world, a mother's love is not." In my case, this is the very reason I am even affiliated with Earth-2.net. I was raised to be a geek through the indulgence of a family of non-geeks. My life is a social experiment. Join me.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/multiple/dawn-of-the-geeks-01

Thanks guys.

Re-reading it, it is a lot less pretentious than I initially thought.

Those wondering about the Joyce quotes: the piece was originally titled The Portrait of The Geek as a Young Man. Joyce is the finest individual to have ever touched this mangy beast of a language we speak.

Re-reading it, it is a lot less pretentious than I initially thought.

Its tough to talk about yourself. I've spent the last week editing and re-editing my personal statement for my uni application, its just weird to have yourself as the subject. You did a good job talking about the people who influenced you above your own motivations.

Those wondering about the Joyce quotes: the piece was originally titled The Portrait of The Geek as a Young Man. Joyce is the finest individual to have ever touched this mangy beast of a language we speak.

I changed the title of the piece because I wanted one title for all seven columns.

Des: How old were you the first time you saw IT with Tim Curry?

I was seven.

Sounds random, but i'm on the part about reading the book, and I know the movie ripped out tons of stuff that was in the book.

Favourite part:

The horror film aspect of my geekiness is the most insular, as it is the one I have been indulged in the least, but my parents were still liberal enough to take me to Hellraiser II: Hellbound in the theatres; I was nine years old. A few years later, I distinctly remember my mother arguing with the guy behind the counter because he wanted to charge her adult price for my ticket to see Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. Mom lost her argument that day, but I won; it was the first time I saw a 3D movie.

If only it wasn't fucking awful.

Good read though.

You've probably wrote about this elsewhere on the site, and I've probably read it, but it would have been nice if you spoke more about Kirby love and not just a hint at what was to come for you.

I've seen It once. When it aired on TV. 1990, I was 10.

I have you beat it showed over here when i was 7!

Only once?

I preferred the novel.

A Howard the Duck birthday party sonds like the worst thing in the world. Even so, a great piece of work Mr Doomsday.

Well, it began my unending love for Lea Thompson...

Among other things...

Yeah...I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for reminding me, really. :grumble: