Spawn Remake

It seems like Spawn 2 is not going to happen. But does this mean Michael Jai White(who has faithfully stayed signed on all these years)is going to be replaced...? I hope not

Here's the link for the story

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16061

The boys over at IESB have been on scoop fire lately as today they've got a hot little blurb from Spawn creator Todd McFarlane about the potential much needed remake that's been in talks for quite some time now. "Todd McFarlane tells us he has five offers on the table to do a new Spawn film. From big special effects studio budgets to a smaller indie budgets that he hopes to be able to write and direct himself." For those of you who aren't familiar with the franchise, it was one of the first Image comic books released when the company launched in 1992 and at the time was the all-time highest selling comic. It featured an African American CIA agent killed by his own boss for witnessing his corruption, Al Simmons was sent to hell. To see his wife one more time, he made a deal with the devil Malebolgia to become an undead "hellspawn".

• 3 months later...

it would really take some damn fine marketiting for people to care about the film.

I actually meant that I'm not sure today's culture would really sympathize with Spawn on the same level that they do with all the other major heroes. I mean, he's a Hellspawn. That worked great in the 80s/90s, where grunge-filled stories were the norm, but today? I'm not so sure.

it would really take some damn fine marketiting for people to care about the film.

I actually meant that I'm not sure today's culture would really sympathize with Spawn on the same level that they do with all the other major heroes. I mean, he's a Hellspawn. That worked great in the 80s/90s, where grunge-filled stories were the norm, but today? I'm not so sure.

Well have some angry voice over man saying "This summer, Spawn is back and he's taking hell with him........back to hell" it could work.

Spawn's greatest appeal is his greatest weakness. Sure, Hellboy is a demon, but he's pretty damn likable. He's a nice guy, he loves his pancakes and his kitties. Spawn has literally nothing tethering him to humanity.

I think at one point in the comics he became immortal and could only be killed if beheaded by an angelic sword. And he was only outpowered by God himself.

Near-immortality can work for characters like Superman since he has all kinds of personal choices to make as far as applying that power, but does Spawn have the same type of appeal? I kind of doubt it.

Normally I'd say that the only way it could work is if you had its visual style be a cross between Constantine and Sin Sity, but The Spirit may have killed all chances of that happening.

• 8 years later...

Very surprising. As a Michael Jai White fan, I mourn him losing out on a job. Especially that  Foxx is only a month younger and White, but I do get that a more popular name would be a better sell for the movie. A movie which I plan on re-watching, as I don't remember it being all that bad but it's been a while.